Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Syria and Iran join forces and raise two fingers to Dubya together

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lukesh wrote:
    i don't think it is fair that we live in a democracy while other people don't. its just not fair
    notice when these people have a marriage ...out come the machine guns to fire wildly in the air in celebration ...what do they want with democracy?
    and if they wanted it ...i'm sure they could fight mostly their own battles .
  • Options
    The USA didn't bring terrorism to Iraq. Islamic fundamentalism and Arab terrorists did. You can't blame the U.S. for everything.

oh god, you're nearly as bad as luke, i'd expect more from you.
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    but no one can be as bad as you!

in what respect?
  • Options
    Lol its funny how people have fixated on that one anecdote about Uzbeks boiling people alive.
    People fixated on the Iraqi people mincers, but I've never seen a picture of one of these machines. Or of an Iraqi soldier throwing a Kuwaiti baby out of an incubator...
  • Options
    The latter proved to be utter bollocks anyway.
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    just being a twat. just shut up, stop bringing my name into everything

did you or did you not come into a thread about legalising cannabis and started calling everyone names and shouting un called for obscenities.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    We can certainly blame them for making it all possible.

Terrorist attacks in Iraq during Saddam's regime
    Estimated per year: 0

After US' illegal invasion and occupation
    Estimated per year: 1000s

That is the most ridiculous statistic and argument.

Saddam's regime itself was killing and abusing Iraqis, you call America and Israel terrorist governments. I don't agree with the definition, but why don't you apply the same definition to Saddam's government? Surely with your reasoning Saddam's regime was committing hundreds of terrible "terrorist" acts a day.
  • Options
    Saddam's regime was committing hundreds of terrible "terrorist" acts a day.
    we know the guy and his entire family were first class bastards ...thats never been in dispute.
    but come on ...
  • Options
    That is the most ridiculous statistic and argument.

Saddam's regime itself was killing and abusing Iraqis, you call America and Israel terrorist governments. I don't agree with the definition, but why don't you apply the same definition to Saddam's government? Surely with your reasoning Saddam's regime was committing hundreds of terrible "terrorist" acts a day.

you can't contradict yourself, if you say right now on this thread "Bush,Sharon and Sadam are terrorists" then i'll take your point.
  • Options
    Spend three years incarcerated in Belmarsh without due process and come back to me.......

Good point. But you still can't compare our government to the regimes mentioned before.

Not even in the same league.
    apollo_69 wrote:
    are you for real?........i'd say they've terrorised more iraqi civilians than all the extremists put together..............

Are you for real? They've caused some suffering yes with the long term goal to bring about a better situation. Regardless of whether you agree with the legality or morality of the invasion they never caused suffering or deaths of civilians with with intent. It is the terrorists who are currently killing Iraqi civilians.
    turlough wrote:

oh god, you're nearly as bad as luke, i'd expect more from you.

Its a fact, the USA invaded Iraq (illegally perhaps) but it is in no way there fault that these extremists are killing people.
    apollo_69 wrote:
    People fixated on the Iraqi people mincers, but I've never seen a picture of one of these machines. Or of an Iraqi soldier throwing a Kuwaiti baby out of an incubator...

Yeah I know, I just think its odd how people have latched onto the Uzbeks boiling people example to discredit Bush's choice of allies.

I accept the point though, you can't criticise one nasty regime then go be friends with a similarly ghastly one.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    you can't contradict yourself, if you say right now on this thread "Bush,Sharon and Sadam are terrorists" then i'll take your point.

No my point was that he was making out that there were "zero" terrorist acts in Iraq before the war. But he's previously argued that Bush and Sharon are terrorists. Which seemed contradictory.

I don't claim that Bush, Sharon or Saddam are terrorists.
  • Options
    we know the guy and his entire family were first class bastards ...thats never been in dispute.
    but come on ...

Ok I can't come up with figures, but there was consistent atrocities being committed. It was a horrible place prior to the Invasion just as it is now in a different way. Irrespective of what Michael Moore will tell you Iraq was like pre-invasion.
  • Options
    No my point was that he was making out that there were "zero" terrorist acts in Iraq before the war. But he's previously argued that Bush and Sharon are terrorists. Which seemed contradictory.

I don't claim that Bush, Sharon or Saddam are terrorists.

nope, by saying bush and sharon arne't terrorists implies you believing that governments can't be terrorists, or is it only governments america doesn't like, again, you can't contradict yourself.
  • Options
    Its a fact, the USA invaded Iraq (illegally perhaps) but it is in no way there fault that these extremists are killing people.

so you're saying all these terrorists would have came in and started shooting if sadam was still in power, don't think so, it's america's presence that's making them kill, if america left, the problem would be solved
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    nope, by saying bush and sharon arne't terrorists implies you believing that governments can't be terrorists, or is it only governments america doesn't like, again, you can't contradict yourself.

You misunderstood me.

Maybe I'm just bad at articulating my arguments. :chin:

1)I don't believe governments can be classed as terrorists.

2)Alladin et al. believe they can.

3)Alladin says Iraq was terrorism free before the American invasion.

4)I say if he calls Bush and Sharon terrorists then surely Saddam was a terrorist too, meaning that his two arguments:

a)Bush and Sharon are terrorists
    b)There was "zero" terrorism in Iraq prior the invasion.

Are therefore contradictory. Hope thats clear enough.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    so you're saying all these terrorists would have came in and started shooting if sadam was still in power, don't think so, it's america's presence that's making them kill, if america left, the problem would be solved

No there was a different group of people killing before America + friends came in.

America is not responsible for the crimes of the terrorists. Even if they havent acted completely correctly in other respects you can't blame them for the terrorism of Muslim extremists.
  • Options
    You misunderstood me.

Maybe I'm just bad at articulating my arguments. :chin:

1)I don't believe governments can be classed as terrorists.

2)Alladin et al. believe they can.

3)Alladin says Iraq was terrorism free before the American invasion.

4)I say if he calls Bush and Sharon terrorists then surely Saddam was a terrorist too, meaning that his two arguments:

a)Bush and Sharon are terrorists
    b)There was "zero" terrorism in Iraq prior the invasion.

Are therefore contradictory. Hope thats clear enough.

point taken, now let me get this straight, aladin is contradicting himself and you believe there were no terrorist attacks before the invasion
  • Options
    No there was a different group of people killing before America + friends came in.

America is not responsible for the crimes of the terrorists. Even if they havent acted completely correctly in other respects you can't blame them for the terrorism of Muslim extremists.

there are groups of people killing in the streets of the uk, in america, they're not terrorists.

Where do you get this Muslim exteremism from, yeh al-zaqwari is a nutter but to say all the people fighting against the US army are muslim extremists is just pure stupid and lacks logic, nationalism accounts for most of the freedom fighters actions
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

Where do you get this Muslim exteremism from, yeh al-zaqwari is a nutter but to say all the people fighting against the US army are muslim extremists is just pure stupid and lacks logic, nationalism accounts for most of the freedom fighters actions

Nothing to do with religion is it?

Why is it only Sunni muslims and not Shiites then?

Why do foreigners (Arab muslims) come to Iraq to commit terrorist acts?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    there are groups of people killing in the streets of the uk, in america, they're not terrorists.

Stupid point. Yes you're right, not EVERYONE who kills people is a terrorist. So?

The terrorists in Iraq are still terrorists.
  • Options
    Nothing to do with religion is it?

Why is it only Sunni muslims and not Shiites then?

Why do foreigners (Arab muslims) come to Iraq to commit terrorist acts?

you are completely missing the point, "why is it only sunni" :mad: fuck sake religion has a part but a very fucking minor one at that
  • Options
    Stupid point. Yes you're right, not EVERYONE who kills people is a terrorist. So?

excuse me, you were the one saying there were killers in iraq before the americans came, you trying to say they were terrorists now? sorry you're confusing me
  • Options
    but there were none before cos there was no one worth fighting ...no one hated enough ...now the americans are accupying the place by force of atrms with much death and destruction.
    these people seem to have plenty of weapons and volunteers ...no shortage of anger and hatred and belief and heroics and bravery ...
    they weren't this angry about hussien.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    you are completely missing the point, "why is it only sunni" :mad: fuck sake religion has a part but a very fucking minor one at that

Nah you're missing the point.
  • Options
    but there were none before cos there was no one worth fighting ...no one hated enough ...now the americans are accupying the place by force of atrms with much death and destruction.
    these people seem to have plenty of weapons and volunteers ...no shortage of anger and hatred and belief and heroics and bravery ...
    they weren't this angry about hussien.

I think they probably were "as angry", but the situation is different. More to the point you, nor I had any news coverage whatsoever during the previous Iraqi regime. So none of us have that clear a picture of what went on, apart from the fact that Hussein was cruel and barbaric and there were various failed rebellions and attempted coups.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    excuse me, you were the one saying there were killers in iraq before the americans came, you trying to say they were terrorists now? sorry you're confusing me

You're confusing yourself!
  • Options
    I think they probably were "as angry", but the situation is different. More to the point you, nor I had any news coverage whatsoever during the previous Iraqi regime. So none of us have that clear a picture of what went on, apart from the fact that Hussein was cruel and barbaric and there were various failed rebellions and attempted coups.
    i do have an idea what was going on ...night clubs and bars in a city as diverse as london and with similar traffic problems.
    a place the likes of the legendary osama brothers hated ...hated with a vengance ...to0 western and decadant.
    thriving universties and building jobs galore.
    propperty prices were still rising in the suburbs on the eve of the invasion ...cos even the iraquis who wanted saddam destroying ...were not expecting what happened and is continuing to happen.
    how did you see iraq and bagdhad?
  • Options
    I don't believe governments can be classed as terrorists.

:banghead: You obviously have no idea of the history regarding U.S. foreign policy......or British for that matter. Governments are usually the worst terrorists, that do killing on the largest scale.........but if you swallow the media's lies you wouldn't know would you.......

oh and you misquoted me a few pages back, no biggie i happen to agree with that poster's views.
  • Options
    i do have an idea what was going on ...night clubs and bars in a city as diverse as london and with similar traffic problems.
    a place the likes of the legendary osama brothers hated ...hated with a vengance ...to0 western and decadant.
    thriving universties and building jobs galore.
    propperty prices were still rising in the suburbs on the eve of the invasion ...cos even the iraquis who wanted saddam destroying ...were not expecting what happened and is continuing to happen.
    how did you see iraq and bagdhad?

Hmmmm, you have a romanticised view to say the least. I'm sure it wasn't hell on earth but it wasn't as pleasant as you make out. I know they were experiencing a limited economic revival of sorts in the couple of years before the invasion though, despite the sanctions and oppressive, mass murderers in power.
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    :banghead: You obviously have no idea of the history regarding U.S. foreign policy......or British for that matter. Governments are usually the worst terrorists, that do killing on the largest scale.........but if you swallow the media's lies you wouldn't know would you.......

oh and you misquoted me a few pages back, no biggie i happen to agree with that poster's views.

I have a pretty good grasp of history thankyouverymuch! :thumb:

Swallowing the media's lies eh? Which particular part of the media? Do you have any idea what news outlets supposedly form my opinions? No you don't.

I don't think governments can be called terrorists its just a linguistic issue nothing to be fixated on.