Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

ID Cards latest...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    in theory yes as it would be accepted everywhere and you wouldn't have to worry about hving one card for this place and another card for another place

Have you considered the flip-side of this argument, in that having all your information in one place is actually a very dangerous thing. If all your ID needs are reliant on one card, then if the security of that card is compromised then your entire personal and financial security is compromised.

If the criminal gangs breach the ID security (which they will, there's too much mjoney at stake for them not to), and hack your card, then you will be unable to do anything. Your name will be destroyed, and you will be unable to clear it, as the only form of ID is damaged.

One single unit of ID is a very dangerous idea.

A pub bore's guide to ID cards.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The Tories had a three-line whip on abstention.

Just so you know that the Tories actually support ID cards too, but don't have the bottle to admit it.

My local tosspot still voted though...
  • Options
    i have a photo id driving licence that displays enough of my personal information without the need to ask me for more. the police, social security, sporting organisations and many other establishments except that the person pictured on my driving licence is infact ME! so why do i need iris scans and fingerprints to prove this.

okay if i had no idendentity at all then the goverment may have a point but lots of us already have suffiicient id, if the new cards were simply just id cards along similar lines to the uk driving licence i.e photo with the posibility of a finger print only no iris scan or hair or tissue samples which also got thrown into the cake mix by blair himself i believe, then i guess the overall cost will be lower.

instead of his famous "i know best" you know shit policy, okay he has told labour mps that they must vote in favour of this proposal, whilst he may have this clout within his ranks he is not my boss and cannot demand that i play the same game as him, i feel that public opinion will prevail in theend its just a shame that blair cannot bring himself to listen to the public.

why does he not ask his voters in a referendum if they want these cards? the answer is he doesn't want to end up looking a mighty fool, but he is that already. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Have you considered the flip-side of this argument, in that having all your information in one place is actually a very dangerous thing. If all your ID needs are reliant on one card, then if the security of that card is compromised then your entire personal and financial security is compromised.

If the criminal gangs breach the ID security (which they will, there's too much mjoney at stake for them not to), and hack your card, then you will be unable to do anything. Your name will be destroyed, and you will be unable to clear it, as the only form of ID is damaged.

One single unit of ID is a very dangerous idea.

A pub bore's guide to ID cards.

Or if the government decides you've become too much of a thorn in their sides, one flick of a button, hello non-person! :(
  • Options
    What happens if the cards are lost or stolen?
    Do we have to pay AGAIN for the replacement?
    And do we become incapable of doing many things while we are without a card?
    If people are going to be forced to carry these cards with them 24/7 I'm sure people losing them or having them stolen will be a VERY common problem.
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote:
    Or if the government decides you've become too much of a thorn in their sides, one flick of a button, hello non-person! :(

Would that mean I don't have to pay taxes anymore? In which cases roll on the ID card :thumb:
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Would that mean I don't have to pay taxes anymore? In which cases roll on the ID card :thumb:

:lol:

No it means if you don't, the men in black helicopters come looking for you. :nervous:
  • Options
    But if I'm a non- person how would they find me :nervous:
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    But if I'm a non- person how would they find me :nervous:

Enter your photo into the central computer, wait until networked CCTV cameras register a match, CCTV cameras simultaneously track you and send signal to police registering your movements... ;)
  • Options
    you've really thought this out haven't you, lol
  • Options
    you've really thought this out haven't you, lol

The danger is that too many people haven't.
  • Options
    The danger is that too many people haven't.
    How true.

You'd think people would have learned by now, from all those ooh-scary-future films that Hollywood loves if nothing else.