Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A ridiculous waste of time and money.

My MP didn't even vote. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Nice to see that my reactionary right wing fuckwit voted for...
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    My scummy Labour MP voted for, always knew he was a twat.
  • Options
    mine voted, bloody stephen timms

11th safest seat in england mind you http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/?pid=10596
  • Options
    Neither David Liddington (Con) from my home constituency or Ben Bradshaw (Blairite) actually voted.

I thought this was supposed to be an important issue...
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    I am not sure if my local MP voted infavour (How do you find out?) Shes a Blairite anyway so I guess she did.

Have a look on the second link (red=voted yes, yellow=didn't vote, green=voted no).

Click "name" and it'll sort by name. :)
  • Options
    With all this Charles and Camilla excitement, this has passed through with little fuss hasn't it?

Talk about 'good days to bury bad news'.
  • Options
    Thank god for the Independent front page today then! :D
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    yep. i must say, fantastic! I really like that paper lately.
    *falls off chair with shock*

It was a brilliant front page:D
  • Options
    I've yet to hear how ID cards will actually make Britian any safer, ID cards are quite simply another method of control.

1. They are a genunine waste of money
    2. As they will be the "ultimate" form of ID they when faked will be the "ultimate" form of fake ID, and regardless of the safegaurds faked they will be.
    3. I've yet to see the link between terrorism and ID cards, in fact I've yet to see a link between Iraq and terrorism, to me the Government have been looking at ID Cards for years and they have "jumped on the bangwagon" of terrorism.
    4. They suck.
  • Options
    I think they'll be good.

As long as they are efficiently introduced and the government doesn't waste loads of money.

I had one for 18 years in Belgium and it didn't give anyone any control over me.

It was useful, you can use it to prove who you are, get into clubs/pubs etc., use it as a deposit when renting something.
  • Options
    They have them in Spain and I didn't mind them. They saved having to carry all sorts of ID and bank statemenets when doing anything from joining a gym to opening a bank account.

I object to the law saying one has to carry their ID card at all times though- fuck that.

The problem I have with these ID cards is that they will have chips and interactivity. One thing is to have a card for the purpose of visual identification (say the staff at the bank counter checking that you are who you say you are), and another is having a card with a chip that might register in a database where you are, what are you buying or where are you going.

That's far too close to a Big Brother state for my liking.
  • Options
    Well they're welcome to check my details over the radio if they need to.

Do you think it's fair for people who, say, go for a jog in the park or down the corner shop to buy the paper in the morning, to be made to carry an ID card or risk a fine?

Something deeply unpleasant about the concept.
  • Options
    You have to carry one by law in Belgium too, it just becomes a natural thing to take your ID card with you in your wallet. I don't think people will be fined in practice for not having one if they have a good excuse, but thats just speculation on my part.

I've been stopped by the police before and I didn't have my ID card on me but they weren't bothered.
  • Options
    This ID card, being bio-metric, is going to be different to ID cards in other European countries.

Anyone with a UK photo driving license already has an ID card, I don't mind carrying a card around with a mugshot of me on it. I do mind being forced to, and I do mind giving my finger prints and my iris scan over to the Government for them to store on a big database. I do resent having to pay £70 to do so, on top of the £11 BILLION in taxpayers money that many experts are predicting.

A mugshot I wouldn't object to; I already have about ten things with mugshots on in my wallet, another one won't make any difference. They're useful.

I just don't trust the Government to keep my intimate biometric details on record; I don't trust them to not use them maliciously against political campaigners.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    This ID card, being bio-metric, is going to be different to ID cards in other European countries.

Anyone with a UK photo driving license already has an ID card, I don't mind carrying a card around with a mugshot of me on it. I do mind being forced to, and I do mind giving my finger prints and my iris scan over to the Government for them to store on a big database. I do resent having to pay £70 to do so, on top of the £11 BILLION in taxpayers money that many experts are predicting.

A mugshot I wouldn't object to; I already have about ten things with mugshots on in my wallet, another one won't make any difference. They're useful.

I just don't trust the Government to keep my intimate biometric details on record; I don't trust them to not use them maliciously against political campaigners.

thats the thing, if they said - "since many of yous dont get drivers licenses and you need a way to prove who you are, we'll be introducing a VISUAL id which will be a mugshot proof, and when you get a drivers license, the driver license extra info will be stored on the card" - im sure noone would complain and theyd be welcome

the idea of a big central database, and in terrms of practicality since this is a government IT project. possibly the biggest one in the world at the moment, i trust it even less in terms of financial viability, on top of the stupid cost of introducing it
  • Options
    Not only did my MP vote "for", but he looks like Bruce Willis.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/?pid=10882

I'm very much on the fence regarding ID cards. While an official photo ID would be good (especially for idiot bus drivers), making it compulsory and the great cost (around £70 one person said on here at one point and obviously the amount of tax that would go into it) puts me off the idea.
  • Options
    We must put a stop to these hideously expensive, pointless, worthless, authoritarian, dictatorial, ridiculous and freedom-destroying proposals straight away. Every decent member of this country should be challenging these draconian measures at every single opportunity. If we don't then we'll end up a police state.
  • Options
    My MP never votes for anything. He sucks.

Rt Hon Stephen Dorrell Con Charnwood nonvoter
  • Options
    My MP, Parmjit Dhanda, voted 'for', which is no surprise. He's a very industrious Blairite, and also apparently clairvoyant, as he told me that if I vote Conservative (with extreme reluctance) in the next election, I'll be voting for a candidate who 'supported the war in Iraq'...
  • Options
    Tequila wrote:
    We must put a stop to these hideously expensive, pointless, worthless, authoritarian, dictatorial, ridiculous and freedom-destroying proposals straight away. Every decent member of this country should be challenging these draconian measures at every single opportunity. If we don't then we'll end up a police state.
    Big up for the newbie ;)
  • Options
    Neither of mine (Frank Dobson for Holborn and St. Pancras or Dominic Grieve of the Tories for Beaconsfield) actually voted. Surprised Dobson didn't actually, I guess that means he didn't want to support the scheme because presumably the Labour whips were out en force to get those members present to vote for?
  • Options
    The Tories had a three-line whip on abstention.

Just so you know that the Tories actually support ID cards too, but don't have the bottle to admit it.
  • Options
    i've got to say, i disagree with the id cards purely for the price issue.

i mean, they're a good idea in theory, but i definately can't afford to pay for one

this would then mean that if i was caught without it, i would have to apy a fine, which i also couldn't afford and it would not end nicely

it wouldn't be so bad if the government just issued them to everyone, or just brought the priec down a bit more
  • Options
    i've got to say, i disagree with the id cards purely for the price issue.

it wouldn't be so bad if the government just issued them to everyone, or just
    brought the priec down a bit more

Does the fact that the government will hold your intimate personal biological details on file not scare you also?

Bearing in mind, of course, that this Government's Prime Minister frecently denounced civil liberties as "old fashioned" and "irrelevant".
  • Options
    the civil liberties bit worries me slightly, but also, the government could probably get access to my intimate personal biological details by looking at my medical records, even though they are confidential

they would easily find a way

but still, the price is more of an issue for me cos they don't care if a poor individual can't afford it
  • Options
    They don't have an iris scan or fingerprints of you.

The price isn't going to be an issue, it'll be fudged. Instead of it being £50, it'll just be £50 extra on income tax.

Though I presume that you're not so poor as to not have a passport.
  • Options
    i don't have a passport.

neither my mother, father or 2 of my brothers have passports. the only reason my other brother does is that he is in the army

so therfore, i am that poor :p
  • Options
    Pheh.

Would you support an ID card if it cost you, directly at least, nothing?
  • Options
    in theory yes as it would be accepted everywhere and you wouldn't have to worry about hving one card for this place and another card for another place

however, there needs to be a very critical look at what the government can do with our information, and what information should be on the card, as well as what other laws might be affected by it, i.e. civil liberties