Home Work & Volunteering
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Lying on your CV?

24

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    J wrote:
    Oh, I forgot, I'm not Jesus.

    I want my dad to be God too! Think of tax reduction. Plus you couldn't get done for stealing because, hey, dad made the world!
    You might even get a discount card in all Church of England shops, oooh, and a bumper sticker.

    Does anyone ever wonder why jesus didn't just kill the devil when he met him? That just seems dumb to me. Your arch nemesis is right next to him and you let him go. Pathetic.


    I think it's to do with killing being evil, and stuff.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Mist wrote:
    The reasoning behind a qualification for entry into a position is to state that a certain amount of knowledge is required to do it, so people do not waste each other's time. It doesn't necessarily mean that you *must* have that qualification but you should have something that equates to it.

    An employer cannot interview every single person in the world for every job, so they set a bar at a certain height saying "don't bother applying if you can't leap this bar."

    True, but is surely unfair and not an accurate way of separating "the wheat from the chaff"
    Mist wrote:
    The fact that you managed to either bullshit or correctly answer the way through any interview and tests suggests that you had the knowledge that the employer was after at the time, or that you were lucky.

    The former, thanks :D

    But still, it shows that the qualification 'required' simply aren't required.
    Mist wrote:
    Incidentally, the fact that you've been doing a job for a certain number of years is no guarantee of anything either. I know lots of people who have done jobs for years that they are absolutely shit at. They stay in the jobs by sponging off of others that are good at it or through the gift of the gab.

    I can be fairly certain I'm doing a good job - our company has monthly appraisals based on performance and targets - I would not have lasted more than 6 months had my work not been satisfactory.
    Mist wrote:
    Either way, lying on your CV is, in reality, a fairly bad idea. Any employer that conducts proper checks when they employ you is likely to pull you up for things that you have said that are not true. This could result in you not getting a job that you have interviewed for. At worst, it could result in prosecution.

    I still disagree it's bad idea unless you are reckless with it. Putting down you have a degree in IT would only work if you have good knowledge on it to bluff you out of any situations where you're tested on it. However I've been working with computers for more than 10 years and I'm confident my experience is more than enough to aid me - the facts speak for themselves. I do a good job.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    But that's what I said.
    It doesn't necessarily mean that you *must* have that qualification but you should have something that equates to it.

    If the employer didn't put any qualification requirements on their list then they would have all sorts of people applying and that means that you have a massive job even just selecting who to interview. A line has to be drawn somewhere, and for an employer some kind of qualifications are ususally a helpfull guide to a person's general skill level.

    Of course, if you can see that someone has x years working then less importance will be put onto what subjects they studied.

    But the point is that if you lie, either about the experience you have or the qualifications that you have, and you have nothing to substitute for those lies, then you are wasting everyone's time applying for a job that needs such things.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    J wrote:
    Yeah, because burning the antichrist and all his followers isn't evil?

    it depends on whether killing in itself is considered evil, even if the thing you are killing is the very personifcation of evil.

    yarrr.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it's okay if, as Kaffrin says, you exaggerate your hobbies and interests, as I don't think they have any bearings on your ability to do the job or what you could bring to the company, or maybe extending experience in a certain job by a few months, but outright lying about experience, qualifications and a criminal record, that's wrong and unfair. I'd rather get a job I knew I was qualified for than one I'd lied to get and have doubts over my success.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Even if you 'knew' you could do it?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Baldruss wrote:
    Even if you 'knew' you could do it?

    Knowing you can do it is really not the point. I think I'd make a pretty good fighter pilot, but that doesn't make me qualified to fly over Iraq and drop bombs.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    J wrote:
    Well your only going to get the job and keep it if your good enough. If not then you wont be there for long.
    If it was something like a degree then I wouldn't lie, but I know I deserved higher results at GCSE, that's all.

    You may have *deserved* them, but other people actually got them. It's not very fair if, for example, you simply claim to have decent results and get an interview, wheras someone who does have those resullts misses out.

    To me there is an element of selfishness involved in creative CVisms that says "I didn't actually get / do any of this work, but I think I deserve to have it on my CV anyway".
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Mist wrote:
    To me there is an element of selfishness involved in creative CVisms that says "I didn't actually get / do any of this work, but I think I deserve to have it on my CV anyway".

    Exactly. Like kaffrin said earlier, she did resits to get the grades she felt she deserved, not lied about it on her CV. That way, she really did get what she deserved through hard work, not just what she felt like.

    If I went for a job and someone who had lied about their qualifications or experience got it over me, I would be really REALLY angry.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i hope none of you creative CV-ers believe in karma.

    if you didn't do the amount of word required to get the grade you think you deserve, you don't deserve it.
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,182 Skive's The Limit
    Mist wrote:
    You may have *deserved* them, but other people actually got them. It's not very fair if, for example, you simply claim to have decent results and get an interview, wheras someone who does have those resullts misses out.

    Fairs got fuck all to do with it.
    If you can lie your way into a job and then do it to the standard required then fair play to you. Not having the qualifications some employers ask for doesn't mean you're not going to be any good at the job, and not everybody's going to have had the chance to go to college or uni.

    I pretty much bluffed my way into the job that I have now. I neither had experience or the right qualifications, and there were others who 'deserved' the job more. But then I've worked bloody hard and I do my job well.
    Why be a mug and go to uni when you know you can blag your way into a good job. :D
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    But today is a gift
    That’s why it’s call the present
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i can honestly say i've never lied on my CV :eek2:

    i never saw the point in it. every single bit of info is true :D
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    Fairs got fuck all to do with it.
    If you can lie your way into a job and then do it to the standard required then fair play to you. Not having the qualifications some employers ask for doesn't mean you're not going to be any good at the job, and not everybody's going to have had the chance to go to college or uni.

    I pretty much bluffed my way into the job that I have now. I neither had experience or the right qualifications, and there were others who 'deserved' the job more. But then I've worked bloody hard and I do my job well.
    Why be a mug and go to uni when you know you can blag your way into a good job. :D

    Fair has everything to do with it. Your attitude is piss poor.

    People who do go to uni deserve more of a chance, that is why they go to uni, that is why some things are more accessible to people who have the degree on their CV.

    But of course, in your system, everyone should just say fuck it and put down whatever they like on the CV. Because that would work. :/
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,182 Skive's The Limit
    Mist wrote:
    Fair has everything to do with it. Your attitude is piss poor.

    My attitude got me my job thanks. I got my foot in the door then I worked my fucking arse off to keep the job.
    You don't get very far in this life if you're constantly worried about being fair - that's a mugs game.
    Mist wrote:
    People who do go to uni deserve more of a chance, that is why they go to uni, that is why some things are more accessible to people who have the degree on their CV.

    People who strive for the job and are going to work hard deserve the job above anyone. A degree isn't accessible to everyone.

    Since left college I've been in employment earning good cash and finding out what I want to do. All the while my mates have been penniless at uni, working up a fuckign great debt, getting degrees in something they now know they don't enjoy, and I'm already earning several thousand pound more than they are. Result.
    Mist wrote:
    But of course, in your system, everyone should just say fuck it and put down whatever they like on the CV. Because that would work. :/

    It worked for me. Sorry if you don't like it but if you can get away with it, it does work.
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    But today is a gift
    That’s why it’s call the present
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Mist wrote:
    Fair has everything to do with it.

    I disagree. Today's marketplace is almost a battlefield, and all's fair in love and war.
    Mist wrote:
    People who do go to uni deserve more of a chance, that is why they go to uni, that is why some things are more accessible to people who have the degree on their CV.

    Certain domestic factors prevented me from going to uni. had these occurances not taken place then I'm certain I would have gone and hopefully obtained a degree in my chosen field. Why should circumstances beyong my control prevent me from doing a job I know I can do?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    My attitude got me my job thanks. I got my foot in the door then I worked my fucking arse off to keep the job.

    You don't see any problem with it because you're benefiting from it, but it is still the wrong attitude to have.

    I hope when you leave your current job and go on to interview for another that some punk kid with no experience bluffs his way into the position that you want.

    That would be suitable karma.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Baldruss wrote:
    Certain domestic factors prevented me from going to uni. had these occurances not taken place then I'm certain I would have gone and hopefully obtained a degree in my chosen field. Why should circumstances beyong my control prevent me from doing a job I know I can do?

    They shouldn't, but the circumstances shouldn't have stopped you from starting at the bottom and working your way up, either. You have basically taken the lazy way out.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    J wrote:
    Jesus I'll do the bloody exams if it makes you happy!

    I just don't want to lose out to creative cv'ers.

    It's not something that will bother me either way, but objectively faking your CV is the wrong thing to do, that's the point I'm trying to make.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    J wrote:
    I didn't take GCSE English so I clearly didn't know what I was writing. It's a simple mistake to make.

    yes, exactly, my good man.

    :eek2:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The attitudes i'm seeing here piss me right the fuck off. I left school myself with fuck all but 2 GCSE c's in science. Did i piss and moan that it was unfair? That i should have got this result and that? No i gritted my teeth, got a shitty night job washing dishes and WORKED for the qualifications i needed to get into my chosen profession. I worked hard for 5 years. Listening to some of you bastards actually gloating you got jobs you didn't work for or deserve is fucking sickening and even worse an convicted criminal gloating that he doesn't declare that. People like you make a dedicated athiest like me hope there is a god, because then you'll have to face your maker some day and then we'd see if you're so cocky.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The attitudes i'm seeing here piss me right the fuck off. I left school myself with fuck all but 2 GCSE c's in science. Did i piss and moan that it was unfair? That i should have got this result and that? No i gritted my teeth, got a shitty night job washing dishes and WORKED for the qualifications i needed to get into my chosen profession. I worked hard for 5 years. Listening to some of you bastards actually gloating you got jobs you didn't work for or deserve is fucking sickening and even worse an convicted criminal gloating that he doesn't declare that. People like you make a dedicated athiest like me hope there is a god, because then you'll have to face your maker some day and then we'd see if you're so cocky.


    I'm glad that someone gets it at least.
  • littlemissylittlemissy knit chick Posts: 9,972
    J wrote:
    What I'm saying is that if I can get 3 B's a C and a D with 40% attendance, and 2 days of course work plus beatings and psychological torture at home then I could have attained results similar to my sister had I been given the opportunity.
    Gah, I don't want to get into this, I don't like arguing.

    But you didn't. That is the point. Others have and deserve to do better.

    If you think you are capable of getting the grades then go back and do it. Go and *earn* your job or whatever.
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,182 Skive's The Limit
    I'm not being cocky, I'm just simply opening your eyes to the fact there are a number of ways to be successful. i.e you don't have to go to uni and run up a debt or scrape your way through on an aprentaship if your clever.

    I went to college and bassically wasted two years gaining A levels I have never used. It took me those two years to realise I didn't know what I wanted to do. I've been working ever since, trying out different things and having fun - never signed on and all the while payed my taxes.

    Then I had an opertunity and I took it. Blagged myself a quality job.
    I have my own assistant, a company car, a company phone, two company laptops and an excellent bonus scheme. After getting this job I have had to work bloody hard to keep it - and I'm proud of it. My employers happy, I'm happy.

    Are you honestly saying that if a perfect job opertunity came up you wouldn't be prepared to tell a few white lies to ensure you get it. If you think like that your a mug. Wisen up because that's the way life works.
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    But today is a gift
    That’s why it’s call the present
  • littlemissylittlemissy knit chick Posts: 9,972
    J wrote:
    You don't realise how much this angers me. I can't re-live my entire fucking life just because some fuck head drunk policeman ruined the first years. I'm not wasting MY TIME fannying about trying to get my life back on track when I am perfectly well aware that I am capable of doing something!

    Erm, I'm not telling you "to relive your fucking life". Plenty of people get qualifications after they leave school so if you are capable of what you say you are it shouldn't be any problem and won't take long either.

    By lying on yur CV about your qualifications, does it not feel like you are cheating your way through life?
  • littlemissylittlemissy knit chick Posts: 9,972
    Skive wrote:
    I'm not being cocky, I'm just simply opening your eyes to the fact there are a number of ways to be successful. i.e you don't have to go to uni and run up a debt or scrape your way through on an aprentaship if your clever.

    That is not cockiness, you are right. There are other ways of being successful rather than going to university. but you can be successful without going to university and without lying to get to where you are.
    Skive wrote:
    I went to college and bassically wasted two years gaining A levels I have never used. It took me those two years to realise I didn't know what I wanted to do. I've been working ever since, trying out different things and having fun - never signed on and all the while payed my taxes.

    Then I had an opertunity and I took it. Blagged myself a quality job.
    I have my own assistant, a company car, a company phone, two company laptops and an excellent bonus scheme. After getting this job I have had to work bloody hard to keep it - and I'm proud of it. My employers happy, I'm happy.

    But don't you feel like you cheated? That you didn't earn what you have achieved? I know I certainly would.
    Skive wrote:
    Are you honestly saying that if a perfect job opertunity came up you wouldn't be prepared to tell a few white lies to ensure you get it. If you think like that your a mug. Wisen up because that's the way life works.

    There is a difference between "a few white lies" and lying about your qualifications. I can honestly say, hand on heart, that I would not lie about the qualifications I have in order to get a better job.

    What would've happened if they asked for proof of your qualifications? What would you have done then? The company would've been completely in the right to ask for proof that you have what you say you have.
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,182 Skive's The Limit
    By lying on yur CV about your qualifications, does it not feel like you are cheating your way through life?

    Does it fuck!
    I used my brain to ge the job, and now I do it well. Maybe uni and qualifictions isn't always the best way?

    Why are some of the people on here getting so worked up about this anyway? If you've gone to uni surely you've got no problems in getting work?
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    But today is a gift
    That’s why it’s call the present
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,182 Skive's The Limit
    But don't you feel like you cheated? That you didn't earn what you have achieved? I know I certainly would.

    No because although I did very little work to get the job, I've worked bloody hard to keep it. Therefore I deserve it IMO.
    There is a difference between "a few white lies" and lying about your qualifications. I can honestly say, hand on heart, that I would not lie about the qualifications I have in order to get a better job.

    Not if you can get away with it? That makes no sense to me.
    What would've happened if they asked for proof of your qualifications? What would you have done then? The company would've been completely in the right to ask for proof that you have what you say you have.

    But they didn't.
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    But today is a gift
    That’s why it’s call the present
  • littlemissylittlemissy knit chick Posts: 9,972
    Skive wrote:
    Does it fuck!
    I used my brain to ge the job, and now I do it well. Maybe uni and qualifictions isn't always the best way?

    No, you didn't use your brain, you lied. There is a difference.
    Skive wrote:
    Why are some of the people on here getting so worked up about this anyway? If you've gone to uni surely you've got no problems in getting work?

    Because it is people like you who take away all the jobs for the people who deserve it. It is because of people like you that I am currently struggling to get work.

    Just because you have gone to university it doesn't guarantee you a job. You are in the same boat as everyone else. However, it *should* guarantee you a job suitable for a graduate over someone who has just lied to even get an interview.
  • littlemissylittlemissy knit chick Posts: 9,972
    Skive wrote:
    No because although I did very little work to get the job, I've worked bloody hard to keep it. Therefore I deserve it IMO.

    No you don't. Because you didn't deserve it in the first place. Simple as.
    Skive wrote:
    Not if you can get away with it? That makes no sense to me.

    No, I definitely wouldn't say that I had extra qualifications that I didn't have. It is wrong and I would definitely feel like I had cheated my way to a good position. It is wrong. Simple as.
    Skive wrote:
    But they didn't.

    Then you were lucky.
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,182 Skive's The Limit
    No, you didn't use your brain, you lied. There is a difference.

    I was clever enough to get the job. I saw an oppertunity and I took it.
    Because it is people like you who take away all the jobs for the people who deserve it. It is because of people like you that I am currently struggling to get work.

    Maybe you made the wrong choice then - obviously grades aint always enough. If you go to uni and work hard you deserve qualifications - you don't automatically deserve a job.
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    But today is a gift
    That’s why it’s call the present
Sign In or Register to comment.