Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Goth look

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i was trying out a goth look for my art project on photography, i really liked it, but all my friends sed no way. im now quite interested in going for a goth look, but subtly, could anyone give some tips on how to do ths?

Comments

• Options
    White foundation
    Black eye-liner
    Black eye-shadow
    Black lipstick
    Black cloak
    Black boots
    Black net-sleeved top
    Black skirt
    Black socks
    Black hair
    Black mobile phone cover
    Big frown

HTH GL HF
  • Options
    Just wear normal clothes but in black. Tis what I do mainly. Unless I want to dress up. Then I have somthing lacy. Its a bad idea to go out and buy a load of really expensive (admittedly cool) clothes when your not going to wear them more than about once a year or if your just trying out a new look.
    You dont need to go over the top in the make up front either. Just do what you nomally do. Just cos you want to try out the goth look does not automaticly mean wearing velvit and vampire style cothes. Black clothes that are plain and simple, sometimes with a lace trim can look just as sexy as someone wear full on goth gear.
  • Options
    don't do the slutty PVC mini skirt and black lipstick and that crap.

either go for a punky kinda look or a classic look...classic look would be loads of lace and stuff where as punky you have far move colour options and patterns.

tarten is always good. and if you really have to wear white powder use proper white powder and don't smear it on.

with eyeliner............don't go ott with it. i did at first and it looks crap. try out doing funky swirls and stuff with a iredesent(SP) eye shadow, or try out different coloured eye liners, purple with a little green shimmery eye shadow can look great.

do it subtly. don't buy huge boots, black kickers style boots are great, or even DMs. and if you're blond.....don't dye your hair black....dye it red if you really have to, or make it almost white for that kinda scarily pure kinda look.

try mixing different materials. i love metaly things, leather boots, and heavy cotton, it works well.

but right now, i'm going through a stage of wearing german army shirts and the whole kinda military thing.....don't know whether it looks good or not, but it's comfy.
  • Options
    Stargazer do an excellent translucent powder for your face instead of that horrible white facepaint a lot of goths wear. I prefer to do the whole black lip liner thing instead of the black lipstick because it doesn't stain and as for eyeliner, don't go over the top and do it carefully, love. It'll make all the difference! :thumb:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/Rooster_D/hehehe.jpg
  • Options
    Even though some of my best friends are goths, i find it oh so hard to take the look seriously...i mean, out of all my friends, maybe two of them look like theyre supposed to look like goths...the rest look like theyre trying too hard.

On topic, i guess im rambling about the fact that you have to find the section of the fashion that feels right and suits you. No point in dressing like a goth if you just arent comfy being one ....
  • Options
    The fact that you're asking how to be one is reason enough for you not to be one.
  • Options
    My advice is....

Don't do it.

Going for a 'goth look' isn't admirable. Goth isn't about black lipstick, or too much eyeliner. It's not just some fad.

If you weren't gothy from the outset, don't bother - it'll just look like a teenager trying too hard to fit in.

My advice is, be yourself and wear what you want. Don't aim for a certain look, it'll only get you picked on because people will see through it.

Ilora x
  • Options
    don't do the slutty PVC mini skirt and black lipstick and that crap.

either go for a punky kinda look or a classic look...classic look would be loads of lace and stuff where as punky you have far move colour options and patterns.

tarten is always good. and if you really have to wear white powder use proper white powder and don't smear it on.

with eyeliner............don't go ott with it. i did at first and it looks crap. try out doing funky swirls and stuff with a iredesent(SP) eye shadow, or try out different coloured eye liners, purple with a little green shimmery eye shadow can look great.

do it subtly. don't buy huge boots, black kickers style boots are great, or even DMs. and if you're blond.....don't dye your hair black....dye it red if you really have to, or make it almost white for that kinda scarily pure kinda look.

try mixing different materials. i love metaly things, leather boots, and heavy cotton, it works well.

but right now, i'm going through a stage of wearing german army shirts and the whole kinda military thing.....don't know whether it looks good or not, but it's comfy.
    Ahhh!! What the fuck! No no no. That look is so "I'm a 14 year old, rebeling against nothing cos I'm bored!"

She said sutle not side show freak. Tarten?? I mean really? The only reason anyone should ever wear a tarten skirt is if they were going to a school disco. Good greaf! Get some style.
  • Options
    Goths always have a go at each other for not being "real" goths, its so weird!
  • Options
    Say no to drugs.
  • Options
    I'm the first to admit i'm not a real goth but i know what is. And tarten is not gothic in any way shape or form. And neither is twirly eyeliner!
  • Options
    tartan = punk
  • Options
    My friend who is into cleine dion tried an arty goth look many years ago and said it was all about layering. Best thing to do is have a look on ebay and search goth-you'll see there are so many items described as such that its not black stuff!
  • Options
  • Options

Oh dear....those poor children....but i shall not poke fun, i too was once confused and clueless like them....though luckily, i wasn't that damn clueless. lol

Peace
  • Options
    tis rather tradgic!
  • Options
    The link isnt working for me, can someone paste it or something?
  • Options
    no the link doesnt work when click on it so js copy+paste the address given.or does that not work either?
  • Options
    Oh dear. :lol:
  • Options
    I think its sweet.
  • Options
    Whats with all the people saying 'if you wanna be an individual why you dress like all the other goths?' I'd just like to point out that as a whole, goth is a subculture meaning the majority ARE NOT goths. Therefore it does set you apart from other people. However I find it stupid when 'goths' argue about who/what is goth n what isn't. I believe someone commented on it already that goth is just a feeling or a mindset. How ya dress/music u listen 2, just expresses urself to others.
    Troy, Canada
    Sun Nov 28 22:16:23 2004

I think that guy summed it up.

Its so annoying when "cool" goths tell "little, young, poseur, fake goths" that they aren't really goth and they really dont understand, they're just doing it for such and such a reason and aren't a true goth.
  • Options
    "I am considerabley gothier than yooooooooowwwwwwww"
    *s*******
    Sorry :blush:
  • Options
    She didnt say she wanted to be a hardcore goth. She just said that she wanted to be sutle(sp) about so a few of us gave her some tips. There was no argueing. And it clear for everyone to see that tarten is the work of the devil so theres no argument there either.

OOooh that link. I remember someone posting that a while ago. Some one said it was me:(
  • Options
  • Options
    Zella wrote:
    Ahhh!! What the fuck! No no no. That look is so "I'm a 14 year old, rebeling against nothing cos I'm bored!"

She said sutle not side show freak. Tarten?? I mean really? The only reason anyone should ever wear a tarten skirt is if they were going to a school disco. Good greaf! Get some style.
    Ok......i have no style........i think we all agree.
  • Options
    As long as were clear on that:p
  • Options
    Zella wrote:
    As long as were clear on that:p
    so what should i do about that?
  • Options
    i've been saving this picture... i LOVE it. Goth Gardening Service Of DOOM!!!!!
  • Options
    i've been saving this picture... i LOVE it. Goth Gardening Service Of DOOM!!!!!
    :lol: That's brilliant!!!

I've seen that goth kid thing before. What I find funny is that at some point they'll grow up and think "Oh my God we were the biggest bunch of losers i've ever seen" and hide their faces in shame as they should do.
  • Options
    hehe, think il go get me some gardeners if theyr gonna look like that..free comedy! :)