Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tipping your hairdresser

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Wow...I wasnt expecting this thread to take off. Anyways, I ended up in the hairdresser for 3 hours and I gave her an extra £5 :)
  • Options
    Thank god my friend is a hairdresser and does my hair

same here, i know it's different for girls but giving someone an extra £10 on top of the standard price :eek: , it costs that amount of money for a reason, giving extra money is compassionate but i wouldn't consider myself a cheap skate if i didn't
  • Options
    My hairdresser charges £9.50, and I tell her to keep the change off a tenner.

Sorted.
  • Options
    Miss Elmo wrote:
    I'm always in for hours at a time and usually tip the junior £5 and my stylist £10. It's always so busy and they work thier ass off and I have lovely hair at the end of it.

Holy crap! If I tipped that much my haircut would cost twice what it does! In fact, because I don't think I've ever paid more than a tenner for a hair cut it'd be a tip of 150%, which is a bonanza in anyone's book.

All I can think is that you must be getting one hell of an expensive hair cut.

Anyway, back to the question. Yes I do generally tip, but only because it normally comes to less than 10 quid, so I can just hand over a ten spot and say "keep the change". But I'll only do that if they've made a decent job. If they've just hacked my hair with a saw they can lump it.
  • Options
    Miss Elmo wrote:
    I'm always in for hours at a time and usually tip the junior £5 and my stylist £10. It's always so busy and they work thier ass off and I have lovely hair at the end of it.

OMG! :eek: Would you like to be my client instead? :D I'm a junior at a very busy salon and I work there for 9 hours a day, 4 days a week and I get payed only £25 a day. Believe me, there are days where I don't get any tips at all. But the generous ones are usually the middle-aged woman who tipped me a pound which is good enough already.

I believe hairdressers only get a basic pay. For instance, a mate of mine who is just a qualified stylist and her basic wages is like £15 for 4hrs and within that 4hrs she can work through 5/6 clients depending on the service. :(
  • Options
    Cirrus wrote:
    OMG! :eek: Would you like to be my client instead? :D I'm a junior at a very busy salon and I work there for 9 hours a day, 4 days a week and I get payed only £25 a day. Believe me, there are days where I don't get any tips at all. But the generous ones are usually the middle-aged woman who tipped me a pound which is good enough already.

I believe hairdressers only get a basic pay. For instance, a mate of mine who is just a qualified stylist and her basic wages is like £15 for 4hrs and within that 4hrs she can work through 5/6 clients depending on the service. :(
    now see why i give such big tips....?
  • Options
    Cirrus wrote:

Does the minimum wage not apply to hairdressers? I work out that you work 9 hours a day, probably 8 and an hours unpaid lunch. £25 between 8 hours is Just over £3.12 an hour, which is under minimum wage, I believe.

On the topic, I don't tip because I can't afford it.
  • Options
    Does the minimum wage not apply to hairdressers? I work out that you work 9 hours a day, probably 8 and an hours unpaid lunch. £25 between 8 hours is Just over £3.12 an hour, which is under minimum wage, I believe.

minimum wage is £3 an hour at age 16 and 17, £4.10 an hour at age 19, 20, and 21, and £4.85 an hour at age 22 and over.

hairdresser's pay is decided by the boss. my mum's best friend is a hairdresser (and only needs to work 3 days a week to pull in a full time wage) and she pays her 16-year old saturday girl £5 an hour. and before you conjure up images of her working in a swish salon uptown, she does mainly elderly ladies, and charges £11 for a wash, cut and dry, and £25 for a basic colour and cut, or a perm and cut.
  • Options
    i top my barbers but that only coz me haircut costs like £7
  • Options
  • Options
    I can understand that. From what I remember it's a work of art!
  • Options
    Ive never tipped cos I dont see the need to! I dont get mine cut that often cos Im trying to grow it long. Ive been skint all my life so I cant afford to tip!

But once I got a friend of a friend (who was a mobile hairdresser) to do it for me. She was only going to charge me 5 pounds but I loved what she had done so much that I gave her 10 instead.
  • Options
    I usually tip the junior that washes my hair about £1 or £2. Don't tip the stylist tho cos I assume she's getting paid a lot more than the junior. Also, my haircut costs a hell of a lot as it is.

I can't believe the amount some people are saying they tip!!! How rich are some of you! :confused:
  • Options
    I usually tip £5. Unless I hate it, then they get sweet FA!

I paid for my boyfriend to have his hair done properly, dyed and styled and stuff. It cost me £40... but he looked so sexy that I gave him (him being the hairdresser) £50... and booked in to have my hair coloured! So he got a good deal.