Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tipping your hairdresser

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Who tips their hairdresser, and if so how much? Do you do it everytime or just when you have been there for 3hours or whatever?

I can never decide...

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    No, and I don't see a reason to. It's her own business, she can set the prices as high as she wants to.
  • Options
    I'm always in for hours at a time and usually tip the junior £5 and my stylist £10. It's always so busy and they work thier ass off and I have lovely hair at the end of it.
  • Options
    if your in for 3hours getting the works id give the stylist £15 and the junior £5....but saying that i pay a hell of a lot for my hair anyways...so you cant tip the stylist £5
  • Options
    Thank god my friend is a hairdresser and does my hair, the last time I was in a salon (about 10 years ago) getting my hair done I think I gave the junior a pound and the stylist a thank you.

I would never tip someone £10 or £15 :eek:

Is this the norm nowadays and Im being a miser?
  • Options
    I don't tip my hairdresser, my hair is quite expensive to get done and I can only just afford to pay that. I would like to tip her tho coz my hair is always lovely and she never complains about me having thick hair like my previous hairdressers have.
  • Options
    I dont usually tip, or if I do, its only a pound or two.
    A good way of getting out of tipping is to pay by switch, then you dont feel obliged to say "keep the change". I think its expensive enough to get a haircut, without voluntarily giving them extra.
  • Options
    I don't know if other men tip when they get their hair done, but I always do.
  • Options
    no, i don't. i think £20 for 25 minutes of their time is quite enough.

also i don't see why people think hairdresssers should be tipped, but not customer service staff or shop assistants or pharmacists.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    no, i don't. i think £20 for 25 minutes of their time is quite enough.

also i don't see why people think hairdresssers should be tipped, but not customer service staff or shop assistants or pharmacists.
    because a hairdresser makes your look....they can either make you look like a troll or a super-glamed up honey.....so yes, they do deserve it... Do the other above mentioned people do that too....nope :/
  • Options
    I wouldn't dream of tipping a hairdresser!

They get paid for doing a service, and that service is expensive enough! I can spend £5 on a box of hairdye, and do it myself. Or, I could go to a salon and pay them £30 to do exactly the same thing.

So no, I don't tip my hairdresser. *Actually, I haven't been to the hairdressers in years*

Ilora x
  • Options
    I would never tip someone £10 or £15 :eek:

Is this the norm nowadays and Im being a miser?

Shit mon, me neither :eek2:
    Depending on how impressed I am by the result and how much money I have to begin with. But even if I do tip it's no more than a few quid for the stylist. I've never tipped the junior.
  • Options
    Yeah i usually tip, especially if I have the same hairdresser for a while and once you've tipped one time, you can't really not bother the next.
    I usually give her about £4 and my hair in total usually costs about £65. I usually tip the junior a quid or two as well. I sometimes don't bother in pretentious places like Toni&Guy where they charge you £45 for a 20minute cut.
  • Options
    I don't normally tip, as usually I just get a trim which only takes 10 minutes or so. If I get a re-style, or I'm really pleased, I will tip a few quid. I don't have much money myself, and can't afford to give huge tips of £10 to someone who earns more than I do.
  • Options
    Amira wrote:
    because a hairdresser makes your look....they can either make you look like a troll or a super-glamed up honey.....so yes, they do deserve it... Do the other above mentioned people do that too....nope :/

well i don't think so. they're doing a job. one they get paid for already.

the only time i have tipped was when mr. kaff's neighbour did my hair for me for free. and i gave her a tenner cause i thought it was only right.
  • Options
    If my hairdresser made me look like a troll, then Id refuse to pay, let alone tip them.
  • Options
    Sometimes if it looks really good or i'm feeling nice/a bit flush i'll say keep the change which is normally only about £2 or £3 pounds. But i wouldn't go out of my way to tip them and definatley not £10 or £15. I think £25 for a hair cut is enough as it is.
  • Options
    I had my haircut today for £10.99. I didnt tip them. If I could afford to tip, id probably go to a more expensive hairdressers and then not tip them.
  • Options
    If my hairdresser made me look like a troll, then Id refuse to pay, let alone tip them.

I felt like doing that once, when I got me hair done in Toni & Guy. Did not cut or dye my hair the way I asked them to but I can be too soft for me own good at times.

Would never go back though.

Paul Meekins is good :yes:
  • Options
    50p usually it's usually my change so I just give her that.
  • Options
    no chance... but then again it only takes them 30mins for mine.

I think tipping is silly, especially when you're already being charged for the service anyway... but that's what I think about tipping in general
  • Options
    "I felt like doing that once, when I got me hair done in Toni & Guy. Did not cut or dye my hair the way I asked them to but I can be too soft for me own good at times.

Would never go back though."

I keep hearing horror stories about Toni and Guy :s Once a girl went, and she was name dropping and mentioning she went, then the final result was not so pleasing, with some awful fringe thing.
    I tip my hairdresser £1, spending about 25-35mins with them, and don't bother with the hair-washer. I'm a poor student lol. Would never tip £10 or £15!
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    well i don't think so. they're doing a job. one they get paid for already.

the only time i have tipped was when mr. kaff's neighbour did my hair for me for free. and i gave her a tenner cause i thought it was only right.
    think about it this way, if you go to a salon like i tend to in somewhere like selfridges then obviously the rent for the salon will be high and the products they use are some of the best hair products, styling equipment, electricity, water, pays for the decoration/re-decoration and other staff who dont cut and wash and stuff which all costs money. this all adds up and is what makes up the bulk of what you pay, lets use an example...if you pay £70 then 40 of that is most probably go on all the stuff mentioned above and your only paying your stylist (who has something like 10years experience at the minimum) and the junior £30....im sorry but thats nothing....so yes i will tip them, they bloody well deserve it after all they did to my hair
  • Options
    Usually get my hair done every 6 months. My neihbour pays for it. I have one hair cut for my birthday and one for xmas. Its better than them gettin my a crappy presant that I'll never use like they did last xmas, they gave me the most dreadful hat so now I ask for hair cuts.
    Becuase she's a home hairdresser and I cant afford to tip her I just make her lots of cups of tea and do as I'm told. (she has a go at me if she sees my hair in a centre parting. I dont really know why....)
  • Options
    Amira wrote:
    your only paying your stylist (who has something like 10years experience at the minimum) and the junior £30....im sorry but thats nothing....so yes i will tip them, they bloody well deserve it after all they did to my hair

£15 an hour = nothing? :eek2:
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    £15 an hour = nothing? :eek2:
    maybe thats my problem....im so used to dirhams (UAE currency) that when im in england i just treat them as though they are worth the same....

and my hair usually takes 3/4hours when i get it done
  • Options
    i used to tip my colourist 20% which was a lot for me considering im a student and now jobless. i really couldn't afford to but i was worried about the damage she could do to my hair so i felt it best to keep her sweet.didn't work.i asked for glossy,chocolate brown she gave me permanent goth black.grrr.
  • Options
    Amira wrote:
    think about it this way, if you go to a salon like i tend to in somewhere like selfridges then obviously the rent for the salon will be high and the products they use are some of the best hair products, styling equipment, electricity, water, pays for the decoration/re-decoration and other staff who dont cut and wash and stuff which all costs money. this all adds up and is what makes up the bulk of what you pay, lets use an example...if you pay £70 then 40 of that is most probably go on all the stuff mentioned above and your only paying your stylist (who has something like 10years experience at the minimum) and the junior £30....im sorry but thats nothing....so yes i will tip them, they bloody well deserve it after all they did to my hair
    It is not going to cost them £40 per person for those things. They set their prices as high as they like and your hairdresser is likely to be on a wage and not responsible for rent etc, unless its the salon owner thats doing your hair.
    Of course its up to you if you want to tip them and you tip if you can afford it, but I dont get why its seen as appropriate to tip some people, and not others. Do you tip the checkout girl at the supermarket for instance. Shes undoubtedly on a lower wage than your hairdresser.
  • Options
    Amira wrote:

no but do they sell you food that you need to stay alive? :\
  • Options
    at the end of the day the hairdresser has a job and i dont ,so no she wont get a tip

and she wouldnt get a tip even if i did have a job because she is already getting paid, not doing it out of the goodness of her heart and if a hairdresser only does good hair for a tip then there is something wrong with that

i dont even go to the hairdresser :chin:
  • Options
    No, it costs me too much to have my hair done as it is!