Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Drug education at schools

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    My brain seems alright at the moment but I suspect only time will tell.

same here, just sorta wonderin what the craic's gonna be in a few years time, i reckon i'll be alright, i've seen people whose heads are more wrecked than mine on less usage so i think i can handle well enough mentally.
  • Options
    your brain will rot before your 30 taking all that lsd ...yeah that was the cry in the late 60's early seventies ...there is no epidemic.
    same with dope same with speed ...no one seems to have been keeping their eye on alcohol though ....now we reap the whirlwind of crime and violence ...
  • Options
    I think a child being told that smoking crack will land them 30 years in prison is more of a deterrent than saying to them that it's unlikely they will get caught, their lives will go down the shitter and if they are caught it will be for shoplifting.

The information she has been given may be false, but if it deters her from taking drugs in the first place then what's the problem?
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote:
    I
    The information she has been given may be false, but if it deters her from taking drugs in the first place then what's the problem?
    cos when someone finds out it's bullshit ...they ignore the truthful bits.
    that has been a major problem in america and the uk since the sixties.
    we have more drug users than anywhere else.
    notice ...the more enlightened and relaxed countries have way lless of a drugs problem.
    have you seen the news today?
    since cannabis was reclassified ...they reckon they are already noticing that less people are taking up the pleasure ..
  • Options
    But you're also getting more people smoking it out on the streets, becasue of the spread of misinformation.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote:
    I think a child being told that smoking crack will land them 30 years in prison is more of a deterrent than saying to them that it's unlikely they will get caught, their lives will go down the shitter and if they are caught it will be for shoplifting.

Right, to put it in more perspective -
    saying to them that it's unlikely they will get caught, their lives will go down the shitter and if they are caught it will be for shoplifting.

How about changing that to be in line with something that seems slightly more logical:

You may get caught, if you do get caught you'll be in a lot of trouble, if you're planning on using then go to your gp and he'll sort you out with information as to how.

Sounds slightly more fitting.

Now, if someone came into my college and informed me that if i was planning on smoking crack i could go to my gp for information as to safe use, i really don't think i'd want to. But if i was a parent, i'd be happy knowing that at least if my kid was going to go out and smoke crack they'd be taught harm prevention, rather than being told nothing by anyone and having to learn the hard way how to do it.

Surely you can see the basic logic i'm carrying here? I mean for instance, the best one i've seen was when some pen pusher from GMP decided to give us a "Drugs education" lesson. The only "education" i recieved was "Heres an example of what a piece of crack looks like. Don't do this or you'll be in big trouble". Seriously, how illogical. Heres what it looks like so you know what it is and are curious about it - but we're not going to tell you what to do with it - you want to do that you can overdose.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote:
    But you're also getting more people smoking it out on the streets, becasue of the spread of misinformation.

Most of it coming from where? Point. Proven.

And where are your figures? Source? Evidence?
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote:

hmm i find that a very disturbing claim coming from somone who's suposed to uphold the law, the truth must always be told, regardless of the impact it has.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    hmm i find that a very disturbing claim coming from somone who's suposed to uphold the law, the truth must always be told, regardless of the impact it has.

What do you expect? He's a police officer.
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    Now, if someone came into my college and informed me that if i was planning on smoking crack i could go to my gp for information as to safe use, i really don't think i'd want to. But if i was a parent, i'd be happy knowing that at least if my kid was going to go out and smoke crack they'd be taught harm prevention, rather than being told nothing by anyone and having to learn the hard way how to do it.

Surely you can see the basic logic i'm carrying here? I mean for instance, the best one i've seen was when some pen pusher from GMP decided to give us a "Drugs education" lesson. The only "education" i recieved was "Heres an example of what a piece of crack looks like. Don't do this or you'll be in big trouble". Seriously, how illogical. Heres what it looks like so you know what it is and are curious about it - but we're not going to tell you what to do with it - you want to do that you can overdose.

i can see what you are saying and i think that its a very difficult area, im sure that if schools were teaching harm provention than a lot of parents would think that drug taking was being endorsed, also you would probably be more likely to get people that wouldnt have tried the drug in the first place trying it as they think that they know the safe way to do it.
  • Options
    You can never win...the war on drugs is over!gone!lost!
  • Options
    Mel-H wrote:
    i can see what you are saying and i think that its a very difficult area, im sure that if schools were teaching harm provention than a lot of parents would think that drug taking was being endorsed, also you would probably be more likely to get people that wouldnt have tried the drug in the first place trying it as they think that they know the safe way to do it.

well i think the reasons why children take drugs is a bit deeper than "i know the safe way to do it so lets do it" and i know thta might endorse the reasons, it wouldn't have that big an impact, i think telling them the truht is the best way, scare tactics actually makes the subject more taboo and more appealing to children generally, i'd rather tell them the truth about drugs, it's positives and negatives and how to take the drugs safley than simply say "drugs are evil don't do them" what help is that, none really.
  • Options
    Just to describe myself real quick, I'm not a drug user, not per se. I have, I may again in the future, I never take things often, and it's rare that I even drink alcohol...however, A LOT of my friends use drugs having spent almost a decade in the rave scene in Atlanta, Chicago, and other smaller areas I've my share of drug exposure and an even greater share of friends who do them constantly to this day.. I've friends who smoke crack, bang meth, k4's, oc's, and I'm pretty sure anything that'll go the IV, IM , or SQ route they'll try. I've lost a lot friends to various chemicals, and I can say without a doubt that drug education or the lack thereof would do NOTHING for any of them. However, I'm a huge supporter of Harm reduction, it works. It's not about telling people NOT to do drugs it's about one of two things, a) trying to give them the best correct information about things they've never tried so they can make a good decision on what/how/why to take them, since they will ANYHOW informed or not at least when they'll do, they'll know what they're up against... b) keeping those using safe, such as drug testing (no not like when ya get a job) to assure the drug they THINK they are taking is what they are. (good example, DXM can easily KILL someone who is taking MAOIs DXM is an adulturent found in about 5-10% of ecstacy pills in the field, hell even mixing DXM and MDMA is a VERY VERY bad idea due to the hyperthermic and antipersperant effects of mdma and dxm together...cooking yer brain is never good. anyhow people say "testing these makes kids think it's safe" I cry bullshit, it keeps the kids alive because THEY will, and do take it without knowing or even questioning....Another example is needle exchange, having a friend who lost 70% of the muscle in his arm due to a staph infection from a dirty syringe...I thouroghly support this, because he'd likely have been ok had it not been for that..

Now let's take D.A.R.E. for example....this is your brain, this is your brain on drugs *SIZZZLE* .... now a 13 yr old sees that, thinks oh I'll never do coke, look what it does....goes to school, hears all the horrors of other drugs, say pot for this example.... Well he talks to his older pot smoking brother and says "Officer Dingleberry says pot makes you stupid, you've been smoking pot for years Ben and you made better grades than me in school...." so his brother explains how the dare officer was WRONG and guess what just happened...all the untrue NON informative stuff (AND any of the TRUTHS that sneak in with the drug information they like to flaunt) becomes just a lie from those dare officers who all of a sudden can't be trusted to be telling the truth about drugs...so the cocaine that nukes the brain like an egg, we all know is untrue...the extreme addictive qualities of cocaine are also, ignored because the kid stopped listening to anything the officer said with belief..

Misinformation fuels drug use....
    Harm Reduction saves lives....
    take your pick....

robf
  • Options
    A truthful output by the government is the only way to do it, and especially when you are talking about drugs such as crack, heroin and cocaine there are more than a few down sides.

I'd quite like to see kids being taught about where their drugs come from, who suffers so they can have their nose full. Which wars they fund, etc.
  • Options
    rEph i totally get what youre saying about kids just ignoring EVERYTHING theyre being told when they find out that one thing was proved to be a lie.

DARE (Drug Abuse Resistance Educatoin)... well it doesnt work, i suppose we all know that by now. They threaten us at the age of 10 or 12 into not trying pot coz we'll get 25 years in jail or some silly number like that, then when we get to the age of 15 or so when drugs come more into the scene, we realise that MOST of the shit theyve told is untrue, and just throw out the few true important things they so tell us (like spreading AIDS etc, although come to think of it i cant remember much that was, through personal experience, deemed to be true!!).

I cant think of the number of benefits that legal needle exchanges in the urban areas in the NJ would have.... harm reduction.... if only the politicians saw it through our eyes.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Well, they should discourage drug use. It should be like the three monkeys... Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil.
    Kids shouldn't be doing drugs, but once they get older and are responsible enough to make an informed descision and are introduced to these things maybe by their peers, then what can be done?
    I didn't know what narcotics were until I went to school.

I cannot agree less. Just because you didn't know about narcotics, or drugs in general for that matter, when you were..how old are ya before ya go to school? 5 maybe? regardless. If you don't learn about them in school from teachers/dare/etc you will from other students, not everyone lives in a pristine home not infilitrated from birth by narcotics or other drugs. When a child learns about drugs it should not be misinformation NOR from his peers (which generally involves misinformation anyhow) Because it's not a assured that not TELLING them about them, will keep other kids from talking about it. So the three monkey's method won't work..period. Best to teach them right the first time. Nothing assures they will be older, wiser, nor mature when they learn what drugs is nor when they are first given the chance to use them.

robf();
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I am assuming DARE is an American thing, am I right?
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    I am assuming DARE is an American thing, am I right?

Keep up LadyJade, DARE was a drugs education programme in the US, started in the Regan era I believe, was predominant during the 80's and early 90's, was phased out after that.

It doesnt run anymore and is widely seen as a failure.

It stands for Drugs Awareness and Response Education I think, though I might be getting the R wrong.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    bongbudda wrote:
    Keep up LadyJade...

Unlike some people, I don't labour under the illusion that I know everything.... :p
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    Unlike some people, I don't labour under the illusion that I know everything.... :p

What do you mean ilusion? I dont like your inference.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Keep up LadyJade, DARE was a drugs education programme in the US, started in the Regan era I believe, was predominant during the 80's and early 90's, was phased out after that.

It doesnt run anymore and is widely seen as a failure.

It stands for Drugs Awareness and Response Education I think, though I might be getting the R wrong.

no, it actually stands for Drug Abuse Resistance Education. I actually went through the program a while ago and in 1999 they were still implamenting it, as thats when my little sister had it. As far as i know it's still used. It was just a big deal back then and we had two policemen come in a teach us about it and "refusal skills" (they were really ridiculous, trust me) and then after we had comleted the program they gave us a DARE tshirt (i wish i still had mine!!), a "graduation" ceremony, graduation certificate annnnd made us sign a DARE banner that was hung in our cafeteria!!

Looking back now it seems as though it was a big waste of fabric, paper and time.
  • Options
    Blimey, I thought it had been phased out, is it a national thing still?

And I think I can be forgiven not getting it quite right, I've not actually had anything to do with it. Not being American.

J; Giving dealers who push drugs on children really hard sentences sounds like a good idea. Untill you actually learn who supplies most kids, its other kids, their mates.

The sterotype of some evil older pusher giving free samples to hook the kids just isnt true.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Blimey, I thought it had been phased out, is it a national thing still?

And I think I can be forgiven not getting it quite right, I've not actually had anything to do with it. Not being American.

J; Giving dealers who push drugs on children really hard sentences sounds like a good idea. Untill you actually learn who supplies most kids, its other kids, their mates.

The sterotype of some evil older pusher giving free samples to hook the kids just isnt true.

Yea its still going on. There must be some research somewhere showing its ineffectiveness!!

I would forgive you, but it's definition was in the post by me in the top of this page ;) and im not American either, i just live here unfortunatly.
  • Options
    SOPH1A wrote:
    I would forgive you, but it's definition was in the post by me in the top of this page ;) and im not American either, i just live here unfortunatly.

You mentioned DARE but not what each letter stood for. So I can and should be forgiven.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    bongbudda wrote:
    You mentioned DARE but not what each letter stood for.

Yes she did. :p
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Yes she did. :p

Well I didnt see it, and thats what counts.