Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Drug education at schools

My lil sistery thing had a drugs lesson at school today and she was told all kinds of mis imformed crap.

Cannabis: you can go to jail for 20 years if your caught with it, and you can go to jail for passing a joint to a mate as its dealing.

Mushrooms: One boy who took it thought he was an orange and started biting and pealing off his skin but he's had his drink spiked and they took him away to a loony house in a straight jacket but it wasnt mushrooms he took it was a pill of LSD.

I mean what the fuck! She said that it was a police officer that told her class this. How fucked up can they get with their scare mongering.

I had to put her straight on a lot of things and its scary that they are telling kids this.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    that's terrible!

another good thing about this place though, frank information about drugs & sex and the other things that arn't quite pc enough to discuss frankly in school.

purhaps you should show her the site so she can read about stuff like that :yes:

and a boy who thought he took shrooms but actually took lsd instead, i mean, come on!
  • Options
    I'll give her the link tomorrow. I think she needs it tbh. So many troubles and questions for a 12 year old. to talk to her you'd never know how old she is, she's so smart and ahead of everyone else it scares me when she's being taught such rubbish.
  • Options
    Perhaps ask to see the head, or speak to them on the phone about what you have heard...
  • Options
    I'll tell her mum to do it. Its not really my place but I'll go over there soon as and get her to tell me everything that was said and then say whats bollox. Probably all of it if i remember rightly what i was taught.
  • Options
    Hi,

Sounds like shes been give some dreadful information - I have a 14 year old and he was given some realy good advice on drugs at school - I guess it depends on the school and the area you are in!

These are some good info sites about drugs - the second one has true stories on it.

http://www.talktofrank.com/

http://www.druguse.com/

Hope this is of use.

Loopy :heart:
  • Options
    we also had one of them drug ed classes and the man said, "heroin is a dangerous drug but even more dangerous is it's freebase form called crack" i literally busted out laughing
  • Options
    They use scare tactics and as proven it dosen't work.
  • Options
    loopy wrote:

:eek: bongbudda will not be very impressed
  • Options
    Sorry - have I posted something I shouldnt have - Whats Bongbudda? :confused:
  • Options
    loopy wrote:
    Sorry - have I posted something I shouldnt have - Whats Bongbudda? :confused:

have you not noticed him yet, he likes to think he's the godfather of the drugs forum but i think otherwise, only messin bong, well he's got a reputaiton for hating talktofrank because it's littered with inaccuracies about drugs, apparently anyway, i've read it and i'm not too fond myself, bit too biased imo, www.erowid.org is the best site.
  • Options
    Oops - sorry bongbudda!

Turlough - have just had a quick peek at the site you mentioned and it looks realy good - I will be bookmarking it for later - may be of use to educate my son a bit more, cant think of anything worse than him getting into drugs.
  • Options
    loopy wrote:
    Turlough - have just had a quick peek at the site you mentioned and it looks realy good - I will be bookmarking it for later - may be of use to educate my son a bit more, cant think of anything worse than him getting into drugs.

well i'd rather my son trying drugs out and seeing what the craic is like and taking them in moderation than shunning them tbh, drugs aren't that bad but they aren't that good either, it's all about experimentation.

yes it's a great site, you'll find everything you want to know
  • Options
    I can think of a lot worse than getting into drugs (in moderation). Better to be a stoner than to go out vandalizing cars or something.
  • Options
    Sure - there are worse things in life and yes kids do experiment - but arnt some of the kids that do the vandalising etc high at the time through drugs/drink etc?
  • Options
    Talk to Frank has improved a lot, when it was first launched it was laughably bad, but they have corrected most of the mistakes.

Now the tone and content level is alright, but still a disapointment, it could be so much more.

Erowid should also be treated with caution, its good for somethings, but dont take it as pure fact, they have a very small staff and they dont always check things as tightly as they should.

As for the specific information given out, yes passing a spliff to your friend is dealing, and yes potentially that could mean jail time. According to the law. However that NEVER happens.
  • Options
    loopy wrote:
    Sure - there are worse things in life and yes kids do experiment - but arnt some of the kids that do the vandalising etc high at the time through drugs/drink etc?

not really, usually there's some social problem behind that and drugs are the thing they take because of these problems so if they are high while vandalising it's not the drugs fault, it's the social problem, i can take drugs and hug people, i can also take drugs and steal cars and joy-ride, the drugs don't make me do it.
  • Options
    Fair point - I think its me that needs drug education as well as my kids!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    School has always been the best place for drug education - it's where I learnt how to them! :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    School has always been the best place for drug education - it's where I learnt how to them! :D

haha, you'll always find drugs in school, skinning up in the bogs and hogging the life out of a joint, freaking out in case a teacher comes, i still do it sometimes.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    haha, you'll always find drugs in school, skinning up in the bogs and hogging the life out of a joint, freaking out in case a teacher comes, i still do it sometimes.

haha theres me cutting up a fat line on a mirror on the bog roll holder... while in the stall next to me there is clearly someone smoking a crack pipe, you can just tell when she comes out,... and in the stall next to her there is the innocent fag smoker... but most likely shes the only one thats going to get caught. Its quite twisted really :D
  • Options
    drugs education in schools from what i can gather is just misinformation. misinformation can be far more dangerous than no information.
    how can they possibly be honest?
    how about me and a few million like me ...go round the schools and say ...look here kids ...for our entire lives we have been taking these things ...some times rather irresponsibly as welll ...and look at us now ...oh yes of course we're still traking them ...no i have no need or desire to stop ...'

the truth cannot be told so ...they can only mislead which means the misled have no trust in the information.
    amidst the bullshit will be some very sensible information but this will be lost ...chucked out and ignored ...how could it be any other way?

and where is the wisdom?
    wise people do not teach children how to indulge in crime ...which is what needle exchanges etc do.
    education without wisdom law without authority ...the whole fucking thing is a shambles.
    legalize!
  • Options
    That happened at our school before, some bald london man came into our school before talking about his past in crime and drugs, said one night he hit a man with a knuckle duster so hard he nearly killed him, wasn't sure if he was alive or not and when he got home he had a spiritual experience and changed his ways, now he goes around the schools telling people of how drugs took his life away and then he got it back.

But people aren't going to listen anymore, drugs are everywhere and thats the problem.
  • Options
    Shogun wrote:
    But people aren't going to listen anymore, drugs are everywhere and thats the problem.

So we just give up and dont attempt any drugs education?

Telling the full truth to kids is the only way forward, and frankly there are more than enough real draw backs to tell them.

Smoking lots of cannabis almost certainly will piss on your chances of getting good grades. It will also, in my experience, make you quite dull, you cant string a decent sentance together and your short term memory is crap.

Taking pills when your young is quite probably a bad idea, you're messing with your brain at a very important time in its development.

Drinking too much makes you sick and generally gets you into trouble.

Its all true.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Taking pills when your young is quite probably a bad idea, you're messing with your brain at a very important time in its development.

do you think i've done permanent damage to my brain, been taking them 2 years, i'd say over 250 taken
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    do you think i've done permanent damage to my brain, been taking them 2 years, i'd say over 250 taken

You're sort of asking for a joke response there, but I'll rise above it.

I really dont know, you could have done, but it might repair itself, or it might not.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    You're sort of asking for a joke response there, but I'll rise above it.

I really dont know, you could have done, but it might repair itself, or it might not.

i don't actually feel any mental problems, i'm just wondering could i have some even though they aren't noticable.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    i don't actually feel any mental problems, i'm just wondering could i have some even though they aren't noticable.

Could be, you might be more suseptable to depression, but the cause and effect of that will be nigh on impossible to tell.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Could be, you might be more suseptable to depression, but the cause and effect of that will be nigh on impossible to tell.

well i do get some weird mood swings the odd time but i'm happy 99% of the time, is the suspectability of depression caused by the feeling of wanting the same happy buzz or is it cos of serotonim and all that, also does ecstacy use have any effect on your immune system, like make you more likely to catch the cold and all.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    well i do get some weird mood swings the odd time but i'm happy 99% of the time, is the suspectability of depression caused by the feeling of wanting the same happy buzz or is it cos of serotonim and all that, also does ecstacy use have any effect on your immune system, like make you more likely to catch the cold and all.

All amphetamines are linked to poor immune responses in the short term, but I havent read anything suggesting this stays.

As for depression, could be a mixture of both really, the effect in the long term on the brains structure and make up is really an unknown. The general view is really heavy use for a prolonged period isnt going to do you any good. But what harm you're doing is unclear.

And, as with all hallucinogens it could bring things forward that you're not really able to deal with, emotions, feelings, memories etc.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I've been taking ecstasy for around 8 years now and I reckon I've done well over 1000. My brain seems alright at the moment but I suspect only time will tell.
    Weekender Offender