Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bin collection

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Bin collection

We have the thing with the green and black bins, they collected on alternating Wednesdays.
    Originally posted by Tweety
    How often does your bin get collected?
    Just wondered as a few months ago south glos council introduced a twin bin collection. One week the black bin (normal crap) the next the green bin (cardboard) along with the recycled stuff eg bottles.
    For someone like us with a baby it stinks to be honest, all those nappys ect. We really struggle to get it all in the bin.
    Some people have maggots because of it. :yuck:

So whats it like all around the country?

Edited to add they won't take anything next to the bin or if the bin is open. Anyone think this is stupid?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Bin collection
    Originally posted by lea_uk
    We have the thing with the green and black bins, they collected on alternating Wednesdays.

Do you find it a struggle?
  • Options
    Originally posted by JsT
    Once a week. The Green recycling bin gets done once a month for those that have them.

funnily enough, it's the same here :p

the black bin goes every monday morning, and the green bin goes one monday a month.

it works out ok, cause the green bin takes paper, plastic, cans and tins, and we have a compost heap for food waste, so the black bin's never heaving. but i can imagine with a bigger family it'd be a nightmare.

edit: and years ago we had a brown bin as well, for garden waste, but three wheelie bins was a bit much for leeds council, and now the brown bin is living behind our shed.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Bin collection
    Do you find it a struggle?
    Not really no because if it gets too much my dad ends up taking it to the tip which isn't very often.
  • Options
    What on earth are all you people who recycle putting in your bins to fill them up every week?! :o

Ours gets collected every week and we have NO recycling collection which pees me off, but if I recyle EVERYTHING I can and squash everything that goes in the wheely bin down as much as possible before it goes in I still only fill it up over a fortnight when there's a week without a collection (like this week) and there are loads of us!! I sympathise about it stinking though, especially in the summer.

If you don't have a collection for a particular type of recyclable waste you can always collect it anyway and take it to a recycling point.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    If you don't have a collection for a particular type of recyclable waste you can always collect it anyway and take it to a recycling point.

We thought this with plastic but there is nowhere to take it here that we can find.
  • Options
    We have black bin bags (normal rubbish) every monday, pink bin bags (recycling) every monday, blue boxes (glass recycling) whenever hey need to be emptied just left outside with the normal rubbish.

And if you have a green garden waste bin thats once a fortnight on wednesday.

We arent getting a collection for 3 weeks though because of the way Christmas has fallen according to my dad.
  • Options
    I'd suggest fly-tipping if the council are going to be such faggots.
  • Options
    something i find shocking! - we have 5 wheely bins.

yes. five.

two regular ones because my mum moaned that we used to have a double one and it got taken away - then there is garden waste and two recycling ones for different stuffs.

i think they come once a week for regular and garden wastage and once a fortnight for recycling.

if i were you i'd throw the nappies in whatever bin is being collected.
  • Options
    We thought this with plastic but there is nowhere to take it here that we can find.

Really? Have you tried phoning the council and asking?

Although I think it IS harder to find recycling facilities for plastics now, probably because there are so many different kinds.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Bin collection
    Originally posted by Joolyknockers
    they are going to give us slop boxes for food waste :yuck:

Why don't you start your own compost heap instead? Assuming you have a garden that is.......
  • Options
    The wheelie bin gets emptied every friday. The recycling baskets, one for paper, one for tin and plastic, gets emptied every other friday. The glass recycling box gets taken every two weeks as well.

At uni, we have 4 large wheelie bins for 14 of us... they get emptied every week and they are usually pretty full!
  • Options
    ours gets emptied every tuesday, and they wont take stuff that isnt in the wheelie bin ie lying in bags beside it. i think you can make special arrangements for grarden waste, but for everyday rubbish it has to go in the wheelie bin, which i think is a pain in the neck as they are all stuck along pavements getting in the way. not ours, ours goes to where it wont get in the way.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Bin collection
    Why don't you start your own compost heap instead? Assuming you have a garden that is.......

I have a garden but it's just patio slabs and gravel (suits me fine!), good idea though....you have got me thinking about getting one of those compost bins!
  • Options
    Really? Have you tried phoning the council and asking?

Although I think it IS harder to find recycling facilities for plastics now, probably because there are so many different kinds.

We haven't no, shall try that.