Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Bin collection

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How often does your bin get collected?
Just wondered as a few months ago south glos council introduced a twin bin collection. One week the black bin (normal crap) the next the green bin (cardboard) along with the recycled stuff eg bottles.
For someone like us with a baby it stinks to be honest, all those nappys ect. We really struggle to get it all in the bin.
Some people have maggots because of it. :yuck:

So whats it like all around the country?


Edited to add they won't take anything next to the bin or if the bin is open. Anyone think this is stupid?
«1

Comments

  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm pretty sure ours is every Tuesday. We have midden houses outside though so it's not bad. My Grandparents get theirs collected every Wednesday and their bins can sometimes stink because they're right outside the door.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    once a week for normal bin

    every other week for the recycling bin thing, gets picked up same day as normal bin
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Jazza
    We have midden houses outside though so it's not bad.

    You have what?:confused:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Once a week. The Green recycling bin gets done once a month for those that have them. Got to love Leeds City councill, give half a street a recycling bin but not the rest :mad:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I thought it might be the case that its just us stuck with the stupid fortnightly collections. Stupid council.:mad:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A midden house I think is just a place where waste such as food is put. (I think).

    Our bins get collected every Tuesday.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Tweety
    You have what?:confused:

    A midden house. Y'know. A bin shelter. There's two outside in the back court. you go in and there's loads of wee doors and you open the door that has your close number on it and put your bin bag down that chute. (Of course, people just sput the bags in the nearest emptiest door)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Midden sounds like a Scottish term to me.

    Anyhoo.

    We have two bins so don't really run out of space.

    They collect them every week, but they only collect the recycled paper bin once a month. Which is not really enough, but then they don't allow us to recycle enough stuff either.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Jazza
    A midden house. Y'know. A bin shelter. There's two outside in the back court. you go in and there's loads of wee doors and you open the door that has your close number on it and put your bin bag down that chute. (Of course, people just sput the bags in the nearest emptiest door)

    Never heard of one.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Every Monday normal rubbish bags, every other Friday greens. You said about bins and how you don't get anything chucked beside a bin etc...? No one has bins in our town!! Just black refuse bags piled in little towers on the street outside your house or just tucked behind the pillar on the corner of your wall (we live in terraces down my street btw so if you put the bags in the street- everyone trips over them - very annoying!!)

    Malt Munk xxx :)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Mist
    Midden sounds like a Scottish term to me.

    'tis
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Our rubbish get collected every week and we dont have big wheely bins...we have lovely bin men that come in our drive and take away our rubbish out our normal black bins...
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Bin collection
    Originally posted by Tweety
    How often does your bin get collected?
    Just wondered as a few months ago south glos council introduced a twin bin collection. One week the black bin (normal crap) the next the green bin (cardboard) along with the recycled stuff eg bottles.

    Thats whats going to happen here! I fill my wheely bin every week (theres only 2 of us) and I recycle everything I can - the box is collected once a fortnight. I'm dreading it, it's going to ming - they are going to give us slop boxes for food waste :yuck:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The communal bin gets emptied about 2/3 times a week, the refuse deop is right around the corner from these houses too! Bit smelly sometimes lol

    Anything that isnt placed in the bin isnt taken here. The same happend in Livingston when i stayed with my mum, if it wasnt in the black wheely bin they didnt touch it, which i find very stupid but what they hey!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Refuse bins get emptied weekly.

    It sounds like you're misunderstanding the council's instructions; recycling bins go fortnightly, but not refuse bins. try putting both out one week.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Bin collection
    Originally posted by Tweety

    For someone like us with a baby it stinks to be honest, all those nappys ect. We really struggle to get it all in the bin.
    Some people have maggots because of it. :yuck:

    switch to washable cloth nappies then!. I used to use them with Lenny. Its not nearly as much extra work as youd think, especially if you just use them for around the house. It just means you put them in a nappy bucket and then the washing machine twice a week instead of the dustbin. You dont even have to soak them these days because modern washing machines are so good. Saves you a fortune too.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Our bins are once a week and the recycle boxes are once a fortnight.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They have those midden things on RAF bases. Interesting fact for you there.

    Like with what seems to be most people, the refuse is picked up every week (Thursday) and the recycling box is taken every other week (Monkay).
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Once a week for both. I think so anyways. But on different days.

    We have a black one for regular rubbish, and a green one for like...stuff you'd put in a compost heap. We have clear bags for the cardboard/plastic/cans.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by *x*franki chicken*x*
    Once a week for both. I think so anyways. But on different days.

    We have a black one for regular rubbish, and a green one for like...stuff you'd put in a compost heap. We have clear bags for the cardboard/plastic/cans.
    same.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    .
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Refuse bins get emptied weekly.

    It sounds like you're misunderstanding the council's instructions; recycling bins go fortnightly, but not refuse bins. try putting both out one week.

    No there has been alot of uproar about it & they know they have done wrong but said it would take billions to change it back again so they won't do it.

    Its all here
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by *x*franki chicken*x*

    We have a black one for regular rubbish, and a green one for like...stuff you'd put in a compost heap. We have clear bags for the cardboard/plastic/cans.

    Thats another thing, we can't recycle plastic, it would take alot of our rubbish away if we could.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Re: Bin collection
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    switch to washable cloth nappies then!. I used to use them with Lenny. Its not nearly as much extra work as youd think, especially if you just use them for around the house. It just means you put them in a nappy bucket and then the washing machine twice a week instead of the dustbin. You dont even have to soak them these days because modern washing machines are so good. Saves you a fortune too.

    Nah thats one thing i said i really didn't want to do. Wouldn't save that much either as we are on a water meter.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ours get emptied daily...sometime between late night and early mornings...we have big bins outside every two houses so they do fill up
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Re: Re: Bin collection
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Nah thats one thing i said i really didn't want to do. Wouldn't save that much either as we are on a water meter.
    cant complain too loudly then about stinky disposable nappies filling up your bin.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Bin collection
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    cant complain too loudly then about stinky disposable nappies filling up your bin.

    The nappys were just an example.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    For us... The normal rubbish goes in green wheelie bins and are emptied every Friday. Other things like newspapers, glass bottles and tins go in the recycle bin and are collected fortnightly on a Thursday.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aren't they still looking in Afghanistan?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Thats another thing, we can't recycle plastic, it would take alot of our rubbish away if we could.

    Well that's gay :confused:.

    If we didn't recycle our plastic (not that it all gets put where it's meant to anyways) we'd still be on like...6 binbags a week. And we don't have that much rubbish otherwise.

    What's annoying is that like...if they have a week where they don't collect (like, if there's a bank holiday or something on the day they collect), then we have twice as much rubbish. But they'll only collect the bags that are in the bins...or that's how it used to be anyways. Not sure anymore. It's still better than having a pile of bin bags outside your front garden though :yes:
Sign In or Register to comment.