Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Homosexuality - a lifestyle choice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    how about

does it really matter who someone likes as long as theyre both consenting adults
  • Options
    Re: Homosexuality - a lifestyle choice
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Interesting article, worth a read.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1372971,00.html

What a terrific article. Long time since I've seen anything in the mainstream press going against the biological basis for homosexuality dogma.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Myself I can't really "decide" on whether it's mental or genetic, both seem to be equally possible. (Maybe even it's genetic for some and mental for others).
    I have to say though, this scared me:
    Heterosexuals? Some of them are OK, but I wouldn't want my daughter marrying one.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Homosexuality - a lifestyle choice
    Originally posted by nckdn
    What a terrific article. Long time since I've seen anything in the mainstream press going against the biological basis for homosexuality dogma.

Who gives a fuck?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Homosexuality - a lifestyle choice
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Who gives a fuck?

i agree entirly
  • Options
    I cant really see the point in argueing whether or not it is a choice.

So what? What difference does it make?
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda

Exactly. Why do people think it matters. If someone is gay, they're gay, whether they were born gay or actively decided to be gay, does it matter in the slightest? No.
  • Options
    In my view it isnt a choice, though thats not really based on any scientific data as such, just people I know who have been/are gay always say that they've always sort of known.
  • Options

There would be some that say that it does make a difference. I can't think of why it would.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    There would be some that say that it does make a difference. I can't think of why it would.

It only really makes a difference if you think its a problem, or if you really care whether it is 'natural' or not.

Yes, it might be a sin in terms of some view points, but I think that has a lot more to do with God than other people.

If I want to be gay and if its a sin, then thats my fault, thats my problem with God, no-one elses.
  • Options
    I don't think homosexuality is wrong, but i think it is very important to know if it's predetermined at birth or not (i hate using the word natural, so vague), just to expand our knowledge of ourselves as human beings. Anything that helps us to understand ourselves more is important.

If it is predetermined or not, that is a big step in understanding our sexuality, and what defines it.

Obviously studies like this are going to be abused, that is unfortuante, but they are important to carry out.
  • Options
    I cant beleive that anyone would choose to be gay, look at our Luke he's comming to accept it now isnt he.

I think the women who wrote this artical is so that way that she cant imagin another way, and thinks that she chose it. It does matter as traditionaly homophobes have argued its a choice and gays have argued it isnt,
  • Options
    Originally posted by Iknowyourmum
    I cant beleive that anyone would choose to be gay, look at our Luke he's comming to accept it now isnt he.

Why not? People choose to experiment quite often.
  • Options
    At the end of the day it does not matter or affect the issue.

Perhaps not all but many of the people who insist on saying it is a lifestyle choice have a fucking nasty agenda at work IMO.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Perhaps not all but many of the people who insist on saying it is a lifestyle choice have a fucking nasty agenda at work IMO.

A lot of it does end up sounding like that being gay is a moral failing and if only they tried a bit harder then they could be 'normal' and straight.

Its not your fault if you are gay because its not a failing or a problem.
  • Options
    It only really makes a difference if you think its a problem, or if you really care whether it is 'natural' or not.

Yes, it might be a sin in terms of some view points, but I think that has a lot more to do with God than other people.

If I want to be gay and if its a sin, then thats my fault, thats my problem with God, no-one elses.

yes, but whether it's a sin because of the inherited genes due to the sinful nature of humans, or whether you choose due to the sinful nature of humans doesn't really make a difference.
  • Options
    yes, but whether it's a sin because of the inherited genes due to the sinful nature of humans, or whether you choose due to the sinful nature of humans doesn't really make a difference.

Yes, but if its an inherited thing, and being gay in of itself is a sin, even if you dont act on it, isnt that a bit unfair?
  • Options
    The whole notion of "sin" is an absurd one anyway.
  • Options
    Yes, but if its an inherited thing, and being gay in of itself is a sin, even if you dont act on it, isnt that a bit unfair?

I'm not sure to be honest. My understand is that all humanity is inherrantly sinful, and therefore there's nothing we can do to be righteous. Which is why we needed Jesus to die for us, a truely sinless man to take the punishment for our sin.
  • Options
    I can see your point, I guess I was just thinking that if we are born gay, and being gay is wrong or 'sinful' thats just an unlucky pick of the draw and seems unfair to me.

But then I think most 'sins' are between the 'sinner' and God, and really none of anyone elses business.

If I've done something wrong which doesnt harm you then I've incured God's rath, not you.
  • Options
    I'm not sure to be honest. My understand is that all humanity is inherrantly sinful, and therefore there's nothing we can do to be righteous. Which is why we needed Jesus to die for us, a truely sinless man to take the punishment for our sin.

You may be "inherrantly sinful". I'm not.
  • Options
    I can see your point, I guess I was just thinking that if we are born gay, and being gay is wrong or 'sinful' thats just an unlucky pick of the draw and seems unfair to me.

But then I think most 'sins' are between the 'sinner' and God, and really none of anyone elses business.

If I've done something wrong which doesnt harm you then I've incured God's rath, not you.

Absolutly.
  • Options
    does it matter?

we live in a scoeity where as long as what you do is consensual and has no direct effect on anyone else, its tolerated

doing research as part of human nature sort of thing is alrite, but homosexuality has been around for millenia now
  • Options
    Absolutly.

I'm glad you finally saw sense and agreed with me.
  • Options
    I'm glad you finally saw sense and agreed with me.

I always agree with you, you're the mods choice.
  • Options
    I always agree with you, you're the mods choice.

And the people's choice too.

(choice for what is up for debate)
  • Options

It's about understanding, Biology, Psychology, science, that sort of thing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by nckdn
    It's about understanding, Biology, Psychology, science, that sort of thing.

No shit sherlock. But really, surely studies on criminality would be more helpful.
  • Options

It doesn't make a difference to some but for others like the author of the article it means a hell of a lot.

She is obviously upset that people (gay or straight) see her sexuality as biologically inevitable because of her gene make up.

Perhaps many gay people believe the same thing, I haven't got a clue if they do, what I found interesting is that its theory I have not read before from a gay woman's perspective.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    "If we wanted to be straight, we would be "

i wanna cry i really do,. i want to be straight i made my self strauight i was incrediabley unhappy... i still am now but not as bad.

i want to be straught but tis not going to work. i have had enough oft hese dickheadsw who keep making out tis a fucking choice. if it wa si qouldn't be gay nop bloody way i hate beuing gay tis crap!!

although i'm not gay i know how it feels, best thing to do is be comfortable with your sexuality, fuck those who think otherwise, your actually very lucky to live in a time like this where gays are accepted to a degree.