Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

New Zealand and the Civil Union Bill!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay. So what do you guys think about the civil union bill? Im a New Zealander and the current government just passed a law saying the same sex couples can have the same legal rights as man-woman relationships. What do you think about that? Right or wrong?

:confused:

Comments

• Options
    Re: New Zealand and the Civil Union Bill!!
    Originally posted by scary_tomato
    Okay. So what do you guys think about the civil union bill? Im a New Zealander and the current government just passed a law saying the same sex couples can have the same legal rights as man-woman relationships. What do you think about that? Right or wrong?

:confused:

If the same thing were proposed for the UK, I'd hope the Government would instantly say YEAH!, on behalf of the people, waste little time and paperwork on the issue, and quickly get back on to dealing with other issues.
  • Options
    Wow - I so disagree with you! I cant believe that the government did it! The fact is, is that most of NZ doesnt want it anyway. We've done protests, marching on parliment grounds, and we've gotten 310,000 signatures to protest this bill!
  • Options
    Ah but i bet you would support civil unions with sheep though!
  • Options
    Wow - I so disagree with you! I cant believe that the government did it! The fact is, is that most of NZ doesnt want it anyway. We've done protests, marching on parliment grounds, and we've gotten 310,000 signatures to protest this bill!

Why is that?
  • Options
    Originally posted by minimi38
    Ah but i bet you would support civil unions with sheep though!

Ew thats disgusting. Just coz ur that way inclined....

I think that the government didnt listen to the people of NZ. So many people protested it. In the end the vote was 45-55. 10 votes difference. Sorry, its just that i hate the fact that homosexuals get the same rights as sinless couples.
  • Options
    Sorry, its just that i hate the fact that homosexuals get the same rights as sinless couples.

:lol:
  • Options
    Ew thats disgusting. Just coz ur that way inclined....

Sorry, its just that i hate the fact that homosexuals get the same rights as sinless couples.

have you never sinned?
  • Options

That is an ABSOLUTLY outrageous thing to say. You might as well say the same thing about couples who aren't virgins when they get married. NO-ONE has a totally clean slate, EVERYONE has sinned, you have NO right to judge anyone like that. Whether you agree with what they do or not.
  • Options
    let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

and all that jazz.

wow, one of the few bits of the bible i agree with.
  • Options

Moron of the day award goes to you, by a very comfrtable margin.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Moron of the day award goes to you, by a very comfrtable margin.

Dude, guys like that are an embarrassment to christians who take the bible seriously.
  • Options

I know! Isn't it awful that when one of those Sodomites dies then their significant other has the same rights as someone who has lost their spouse! It's disgraceful!

I've always thought that New Zealand was quite a liberal country, a Canada to the conservative Australia. Obviously I'm wrong.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Dude, guys like that are an embarrassment to christians who take the bible seriously.

Her comments in Health are even better.
  • Options
    Her comments in Health are even better.

Seen them. If she cared about what the bible actually said, she'd know that she is a holy temple to God. If she cared about that, she wouldn't self harm. But if she doesn't know that, I guess she doesn't know about any of the stuff that tells us how to act toward non christians, like the ones about behaving with wisdom and grace.
  • Options
    Seen them. If she cared about what the bible actually said, she'd know that she is a holy temple to God. If she cared about that, she wouldn't self harm. But if she doesn't know that, I guess she doesn't know about any of the stuff that tells us how to act toward non christians, like the ones about behaving with wisdom and grace.

First off i AM a born-again christian. Things like self harm dont heal themself overnight - even with God. And secondly, homosexuality IS a sin - someone engaging in it, even though Jesus condems it? I'd say the same for someone stealing, lying ect, not just homosexuality. Get off your high horse and take a look.
  • Options
    First off i AM a born-again christian. Things like self harm dont heal themself overnight - even with God. And secondly, homosexuality IS a sin - someone engaging in it, even though Jesus condems it? I'd say the same for someone stealing, lying ect, not just homosexuality. Get off your high horse and take a look.

Firstly, show me the verse where it says you have any right to judge someone else. Secondly, show me the verse where Jesus mentioned it at all. Thirdly, show me the verse where it says non-christians have to follow the rules laid out by Paul in his letters. Forthly, show me the verse where it says homosexuality is a bigger sin than all the ones you commited today.

You're an embarrassment.

ETA: Healing overnight isn't the question, it your whole attitude to self-harm. 1 Corinthians 3:16 Don't you know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? 17 If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy that person, because God's temple is holy and you are that temple.
  • Options
    You're an embarrassment.
    Harshness.
    1 Corinthians 3:16-17
    If you're ignoring Paul, that includes his letters to the Corinthians as well.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Ignoring Paul referred to non-christians (or at least non-religious ones).
    The quote referred to tomato being a christian and not adhereing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    Ignoring Paul referred to non-christians (or at least non-religious ones).
    The quote referred to tomato being a christian and not adhereing.
    ...And the implication that if Jesus didn't say it, it's not important.
  • Options
    ...And the implication that if Jesus didn't say it, it's not important.

i didn't say that. I said that the attitude shown by tomato is NOT a christian attitude.
  • Options

Scary tomato is using Paul as justification for her monumentally moronic views.

Of course, if we're going to go by the word of the Bible, rape victims should be stoned to death. That right, scaryily moronic?
  • Options
    Scary tomato is using Paul as justification for her monumentally moronic views.

Of course, if we're going to go by the word of the Bible, rape victims should be stoned to death. That right, scaryily moronic?

First and foremost almost ALL of the things Paul, Christ, Peter and John say about behaviour is directly aimed at people who are already christians. The ONLY thing said about behaviour to non-christians is that they need to accept Jesus as saviour and turn back to God.

All instructions on marriage, sexual immorality, anger and anything else you care to think of are instructions for the way Christians should attempt to behave. To expect a non-christian to live that way is not biblical and not christian and TOTALLY missing the point of the cross.
  • Options
    i didn't say that. I said that the attitude shown by tomato is NOT a christian attitude.
    Maybe not, but perhaps yours to her isn't either. If you are going to rebuke, do it with scripture.
  • Options
    Maybe not, but perhaps yours to her isn't either. If you are going to rebuke, do it with scripture.

I did.
  • Options
    First and foremost almost ALL of the things Paul, Christ, Peter and John say about behaviour is directly aimed at people who are already christians. The ONLY thing said about behaviour to non-christians is that they need to accept Jesus as saviour and turn back to God.

All instructions on marriage, sexual immorality, anger and anything else you care to think of are instructions for the way Christians should attempt to behave. To expect a non-christian to live that way is not biblical and not christian and TOTALLY missing the point of the cross.
    If you are to "turn back", ie repent, do you not need to be convicted of your sin, ie the aforementioned? That is what the cross is about.
  • Options
    If you are to "turn back", ie repent, do you not need to be convicted of your sin, ie the aforementioned? That is what the cross is about.

Where did I say anyone was convicted? In the criminal sense that is. You must have conviction, be sure, but not convicted as in guilty, at least, not guilty and in need of punishment.
  • Options
    Where did I say anyone was convicted? In the criminal sense that is. You must have conviction, be sure, but not convicted as in guilty, at least, not guilty and in need of punishment.
    No no, 'convicted of sin' as in made aware of one's sinfulness. You only need a saviour if you require saving from something afterall.

If you are talking about the cross, then it is about Jesus taking the punishment for mankind's sinfulness in order that humans can be reconciled to God. No?

So you need to know what sin is before you can "turn back" and believe.
  • Options
    No no, 'convicted of sin' as in made aware of one's sinfulness. You only need a saviour if you require saving from something afterall.

If you are talking about the cross, then it is about Jesus taking the punishment for mankind's sinfulness in order that humans can be reconciled to God. No?

So you need to know what sin is before you can "turn back" and believe.

Yes, but homosexuality is no more a sin than the way I got angry with someone last night. That's the point. It's the flavour of the month, and that's outrageous. All sin is equal, All people commit sin, No-one is sinless, and commiting one sin is the same as having commited every sin repeatedly.
  • Options
    Yes, but homosexuality is no more a sin than the way I got angry with someone last night. That's the point. It's the flavour of the month, and that's outrageous. All sin is equal, All people commit sin, No-one is sinless, and commiting one sin is the same as having commited every sin repeatedly.
    All true of course, but be watchful that you use ^ that ^ intelligence when you reply to people like scary_tomato who obviously don't have the same understanding as you.

"You're an embarassment" :no:
  • Options
    Matt 7:23 Then I will tell them clearly, 'Get away from me, you who do evil. I never knew you.'

I have cited this many times. And I'll do it again now.