Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Schoolboy dies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Fight in school

God this is so terrible, you dont expect your Son/Daughter to be killed at school due to a fight.

Very sad story indeed :(

Comments

• Options
    Terrible. :(
  • Options
    A striking line from that report (which seems rather self excusatory of the incident to my mind) is nonetheless,

"Mr Sinnott said young people needed to understand that confrontation was not the best way to deal with a problem. "

Yet I say welcome to the world Mr. Sinnott where the messages of their leaders teach quite a different lesson and send exactly the opposite principle that "might makes right", even though the long revealed result is exactly as Mr. Sinnot suggests.
  • Options
    Good point.

Pretty shocking really that some people don't realise their own strength sometimes and the fragility of life.

Manslaughter?
  • Options
    Doesnt actually surprise me in the least. I know quite a few people who work in colleges in London and this isnt by any stretch of the imagination an isolated incident.

Obviously it ending in death is, but violent assults happen all the time, stabbings are common place, I know of at least 4 serious ones I can think of being told about in the past 6 months.

Kids are much safer from somethings now, but they are much less safe in other ways.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    A striking line from that report (which seems rather self excusatory of the incident to my mind) is nonetheless,

"Mr Sinnott said young people needed to understand that confrontation was not the best way to deal with a problem. "

Yet I say welcome to the world Mr. Sinnott where the messages of their leaders teach quite a different lesson and send exactly the opposite principle that "might makes right", even though the long revealed result is exactly as Mr. Sinnot suggests.

So you're trying to blame young guys fighting with each other on politicians :confused: :rolleyes: .

Boys will be boys, that's all there is to it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    Good. I was killed at school too. I see dead people.

POOR COMENT MATE!!!!
    unfortunatly i have too agree along with bongbudda on this one, this is not an isolated incident, if we cast our minds back to a week ago and on the news there was a single girl being what appeared to be set-upon by a large group of girls from her school, why? over an arguement over a boy. now we hear this week after another dispute between school pupils one has a suspected heart attack. wow what is happening to our children?
  • Options
    Originally posted by 01j01
    POOR COMENT MATE!!!!

You'll get used to J...
  • Options
    wow what is happening to our children?

yeh they're all scoundrels, the next generation is fucked, god help us :rolleyes: :rolleyes: i'm not directing this at you personally but i'm sick and fucking tired of people yapping at how bad our children are, "ain't like it used to be," our school raised £13,000 for trocaire there a while back, but all we hear is "children have no manners" yeh there are alot of bad mannered children who are capable of killing but the majority of kids genuinely want to suceed and i feel personally victimised when people say bad things about us, we should have confidence in our kids, saying bad things isn't hardly going to motivate to be better is it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    yeh they're all scoundrels, the next generation is fucked, god help us :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What do you want people to say about this incident or the one where a large group attacked a girl ? Say its ok ??
    Bullying IS getting worse and its also getting more extreme....hence why this boy here died.
  • Options
    saying bad things isn't hardly going to motivate to be better is it. [/B]

couldn't agree more. it was the shock of it mate, ways of life are changing, and it's worrying. i know there are plenty of our children willing to learn wanting to succeed i have four. i just couldn't put my shock into words..
  • Options
    thing is saying "all kids have no manners these days" is doing is making the kids who have manners think "why should i even bother noone notices it anyway" im 19 and some people i dont know treat me with no courtesy constantly, whilst despite my many flaws im quite polite to strangers and i hold open doors for mothers who need help etc even if i not going into that shop
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Bullying IS getting worse and its also getting more extreme....hence why this boy here died.

Was this bullying though?
    Fighting does not equal bullying.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    Was this bullying though?
    Fighting does not equal bullying.

I heard on the news it was bullying, however i dont have a link.
  • Options
    Whether or not bullying is getting worse is difficult to quantify.

However, the number of violent assults, knife incidents and such is going up. Why this is I dont know.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Whether or not bullying is getting worse is difficult to quantify.

However, the number of violent assults, knife incidents and such is going up. Why this is I dont know.

I blame TV
  • Options
    What do you want people to say about this incident or the one where a large group attacked a girl ? Say its ok ??

Who said this incident has anything to do with bullying. Boys tend to fight, end of...there's no reason for presuming it was bullying, more likely an unlucky blow from someone and the boy died.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Spliffie
    Who said this incident has anything to do with bullying. Boys tend to fight, end of...there's no reason for presuming it was bullying, more likely an unlucky blow from someone and the boy died.

Just a couple of posts down I said Id heard that this was bullying !!

Your post sounds like you couldnt give a toss.......is that the case ?

Do you think its ok for kids to go to school, get into a fight and end up dead ? Is it ok that a family have lost a Son here ?
    This is fooking serious mate.....dont try to make out its nowt.
  • Options
    this is what started out as a row and then when a boy threw a punch the lad who died, dodged the blow, however in doing this he hit his head off the door frame of temp' classroom.
    autospy has not showed exact cause of death but it appears it may (note i said MAY.) be internal hemorage in the brain that proberbly caused a blod clott, as it is said he suffered a heart attack shortly before he got to hospital, but im no doctor.
  • Options
    dont try to make out its nowt.

quite right after seeing the news over the last two weeks im so shocked where are the teachers?, when i was at school they were everywhere nowadays there appears there is no watchfull eye. i could be wrong though.
  • Options
    quite right after seeing the news over the last two weeks im so shocked where are the teachers?, when i was at school they were everywhere nowadays there appears there is no watchfull eye. i could be wrong though.

Sorry, I thought you were making light out of it.

The teachers cant be everywhere during break times or when they are going to different lessons. I dunno why things like this are more common now.......probably gonna get everyone shouting at me but I say bring back the cane......good old 6 of the best for school thugs.

This is aimed at the younger people still at school.......what do teachers do to thugs, rule breakers etc ? Am i right in thinking all a school can do is expel pupils or put them on report ?
  • Options
    u made my hands sting reading that i remember cane, think it should come back too, did u have cane, 'avin to stand out side heads office? thats afer the teacher gave you a thick ear.
  • Options
    u made my hands sting reading that i remember cane, think it should come back too, did u have cane, 'avin to stand out side heads office? thats afer the teacher gave you a thick ear.

lol, yeah I had the cane :lol:

I got it off the Head of Girls, was shitting myself. That was the worst bit about it, the waiting outside the office :lol:
  • Options
    probably gonna get everyone shouting at me but I say bring back the cane......good old 6 of the best for school thugs.

why, i agree, even though it was illegal at the time, my primary school teachers used to hit us when we disobeyed, definately taught me a lesson, i knew not to be as cheeky
  • Options
    why, i agree, even though it was illegal at the time, my primary school teachers used to hit us when we disobeyed, definately taught me a lesson, i knew not to be as cheeky

that makes a change to hear that, many people are anti caning. Im not sure about primary school though, I think at that age the teachers should have better ways to get children to act how they want them too.
  • Options
    that makes a change to hear that, many people are anti caning. Im not sure about primary school though, I think at that age the teachers should have better ways to get children to act how they want them too.

i know but if put the fear of god in me, like if you give a student deteniton or an essay as punishment they'll just trihnk "ah this isn't so bad, i bet i can do much worse without getting into much trouble," but a cane to the hand or a rap around the head and you'll know to think twice, all this "they could develop physchological problems" is just bullshit, plain and simple.
  • Options
    i know but if put the fear of god in me, like if you give a student deteniton or an essay as punishment they'll just trihnk "ah this isn't so bad, i bet i can do much worse without getting into much trouble," but a cane to the hand or a rap around the head and you'll know to think twice, all this "they could develop physchological problems" is just bullshit, plain and simple.

do they still do detention and if so dont they have to give 24 hrs notice now (or sommat like that) ?
  • Options
    do they still do detention and if so dont they have to give 24 hrs notice now (or sommat like that) ?

yes to both quesitons.
  • Options
    That was the worst bit about it, the waiting outside the office
    That's true enough. It's about respect for authority as much as it is the caning itself.

I'm anti corporal punishment because I think that is the wrong way to gain respect. If we think inflicting pain on children is an appropriate way to exert authority then we're in trouble.

What would be next? Waging war around the world and exerting authority on those who disobey our rules....oh wait...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    I'm anti corporal punishment because I think that is the wrong way to gain respect. If we think inflicting pain on children is an appropriate way to exert authority then we're in trouble.

thing is, there's no other ways to gain respect, i dunno, i feel really strongly in my pro-corporal punishment views, sometimes we just need to forget all this new way of thinking, pc etc etc and just do what'll have the best results, in this case, caning.
  • Options
    there's no other ways to gain respect
    :(

I disagree.