Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Schoolboy dies

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Kentish
    :(

I disagree.

of course there's other ways but not true respect, children are very smart believe it or not, if a teacher can't hit them, they will play on that, they know they have a certain control over teachers and teachers know they'll only be able to go so far, creates an uneasy atomosphere, too forces pulling in two opposite directions, whereas if a teacher can hit a child, the child will know rightly to behave or else, i think it also teaches children how to act in life generally, definately gives them manners, did to me anyway
  • Options
    tulough; are they going to caine employees who are late at work :confused:...if not this does not reflect the realities of the real world in which the structures we belong to have the ability to administer corporal punishement :no:

Just TRY introducing it...you think a kid who is ready to stab another kid over the silliest of incidents is gonna think twice about doing it to a teacher who cains them :confused:

Kids dont bloody turn up for detention, what makes you think they'll turn up for a bloody caining?

Bring that in and watch assaults on teachers go through the roof.

If it was bought in i dont think many teachers would agree to do it...
  • Options
    thats only because teachers are scared of getting sued.

cane never did me no harm. sure it hurt but that goes, tell you what though by the time you got home ud think twice before making the same mistake.
  • Options
    Originally posted by 01j01
    by the time you got home ud think twice before making the same mistake.
    Why: the pain or the punishment?
  • Options
    so you didnt repeat the action because of the pain of sanction, not because you thought the action was wrong or undesirable in the first instance.

You cant have been cained that much throughout your schooling, as this was banned in state schools in 1987, so i wonder how much of an effect this had on your during your teenage school years :confused:...unless of course your school was private.

And while we are on the subject, it didnt stop your drug use did it? So it didnt wouldnt have made you 'think twice' about all cainable offences would it?

Would you have stopped smoking grass because of the cain? i would be extremely surprised if this was the case.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir
    tulough; are they going to caine employees who are late at work :confused:...if not this does not reflect the realities of the real world in which the structures we belong to have the ability to administer corporal punishement :no:

God your scraping the barrel there aint ya. Your forgetting teenagers tend to rebel and do what THEY wanna do, thats not to insult teenagers here but Ive been there (be it a long time ago), but I thought I could do what the hell I wanted to do when I wanted to do it......WRONG.
    After the caning, I learned to do what was asked of me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Why: the pain or the punishment?

the embarrasment of getting called to the year heads office. The waiting was horrible and everyone watching you knowing you were gonna get the cain.
  • Options
    What a horrible incident. :(

Caning a child encourages the view that violence can be used to get what they want.
    Just seems a bit backward, really.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir
    so you didnt repeat the action because of the pain of sanction, not because you thought the action was wrong or undesirable in the first instance.

ok at first i supposse you can say that, however when the pain sets in you had no choice but to think about what you had done.

secondly, so i didnt get canned throughout my whole school life, maybe thats why ive ive not changed my use of drugs.

anyway most not all but most teenagers tryout or experiment with drugs, some stay with them some dont that comes down to personal preference not canning,
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    thing is, there's no other ways to gain respect,

Rubbish. Treating kids as human beings, showing them love but giving them firm boundaries gains much more respect than beating them.
    i dunno, i feel really strongly in my pro-corporal punishment views, sometimes we just need to forget all this new way of thinking, pc etc etc and just do what'll have the best results, in this case, caning.

Yeah, 'cos the world was so much better 100 years ago wasn't it?

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    of course there's other ways but not true respect, children are very smart believe it or not, if a teacher can't hit them, they will play on that, they know they have a certain control over teachers and teachers know they'll only be able to go so far, creates an uneasy atomosphere, too forces pulling in two opposite directions, whereas if a teacher can hit a child, the child will know rightly to behave or else, i think it also teaches children how to act in life generally, definately gives them manners, did to me anyway

A very simplistic view.
  • Options
    Perhaps this should be the "Politics and sado-masochism" forum

It always seems to end up with "if only the authorities were allowed to inflict more physical pain, the world would be a better place"..........

:yeees:
  • Options
    Ok then seeing as I knew this is the kinda response id get for agreeing with caning, you people against caning tell me what they can do instead of caning ?
    Would you agree or disagree that there is a lot more violence in schools and on the street compared with say 20 years ago ? If you were a head teacher of a school how would you combat bullying or kids trying to do what they want to do and constantly break the rules ?

You see yes I was caned and now I look back and know I deserved it. It made me THINK twice about being an obnoxious teenager (which I was at that time). A quick sharp shock never harmed anyone.
    Oh before you say caning mkes people violent themselves I dont beat my child......cos I know thats the next thing you lot will try to push this way.
  • Options
    Originally posted by NaCN

Caning a child encourages the view that violence can be used to get what they want.
    Just seems a bit backward, really.

Were you ever caned ?

Also im talking secondary school here, not primary school. So really when you take that into account we aint talking some poor defensless little child.
  • Options
    I think caning can and does work.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    I think caning can and does work.

So does electrocuting the genitals.....
  • Options
    Originally posted by freethepeeps
    So does electrocuting the genitals.....

I agree with you... but only in extreme cases. We start off moderate, but if that didn't work, hit them a bit with a nice cane. If they still are doing some serious crap (like dealing to other students) then strap em to a table, attatch some electrodes to either bollock, and run some high current high voltage electricity through them.

I bet you, he wont do it again (assuming he doesn't become depressed, lose the will to live and just go on a killing spree).

In the case of women, attatch electrodes to the sides of the sensitive areas.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Just a couple of posts down I said Id heard that this was bullying !!

Your post sounds like you couldnt give a toss.......is that the case ?

Do you think its ok for kids to go to school, get into a fight and end up dead ? Is it ok that a family have lost a Son here ?
    This is fooking serious mate.....dont try to make out its nowt.

It's shit what happened, pure misfortune, but i'm not going to go on a rant about bullying when bullying appears to have nothing to do with the incident.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Spliffie
    It's shit what happened, pure misfortune, but i'm not going to go on a rant about bullying when bullying appears to have nothing to do with the incident.

I heard different on my local news, so I can only go by what I heard. I havent heard anything else since though.
  • Options

can u explain? in my eyes someone throwing a punch at someone else is a form of bullying, any physical, mental or emotional distress caused to another person is normally considered to be bullying.
  • Options
    can u explain? in my eyes someone throwing a punch at someone else is a form of bullying, any physical, mental or emotional distress caused to another person is normally considered to be bullying.

Now that is foolish. It's not bullying if you just have a fight with someone.
  • Options

Don't be so silly. By that logic, if i swung a punch at Mike Tyson, i'd be bullying him...

Bullying is picking on the weak.
  • Options
    another group of lads who turn on a single person, and then start throwing punches and this cannot be classed as bullying?
    sorry but i still call this incident bullying, i was refering to this incident not as a general rule.
  • Options
    another group of lads who turn on a single person, and then start throwing punches and this cannot be classed as bullying?

I agree with that, but you try persuading others here. If you suceed in getting someone to agree with ya then I will run down my local high street starkers :lol:
    (not a bonny sight may i add) :p
  • Options
    sorry but i still call this incident bullying, i was refering to this incident not as a general rule.

But where did you hear that's what happened...the press said there was a fight involving a handfull of people...one boy died...haven't seen any report which said he was attacked on his own by a group.

It could be the case the boy who died provoked the fight, there's no point in speculating when you dont know the facts.
  • Options
    Don't be so silly. By that logic, if i swung a punch at Mike Tyson, i'd be bullying him...

Bullying is picking on the weak.

can i watch?
  • Options
    But where did you hear that's what happened...the press said there was a fight involving a handfull of people...one boy died...haven't seen any report which said he was attacked on his own by a group.

It could be the case the boy who died provoked the fight, there's no point in speculating when you dont know the facts.
    i only live two miles or so from incident, local news.
  • Options
    eight kids in class, 1 verses 7, is that a fair fight?

he only hit his head by dodging punch.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    I agree with that, but you try persuading others here. If you suceed in getting someone to agree with ya then I will run down my local high street starkers :lol:
    (not a bonny sight may i add) :p

Why the obsession with viewing schoolyard confrontations as bullying by default? Talk about jumping on bandwagons.

In my experience, violent fights are not bullying, there's a logic behind that which you obviously can't see.
  • Options
    obsession? no i dont think so, you must be watching different news to us. the news i watch and read has at least one case of bulling each week.