Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

benefits?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
does anyone know what benefits i could resieve if:

under 18 but over 16 and living in the UK without parents, having a mental condition, and being supported by a lone parent, who isn't livng in the country but is a british citizan and and is a low earner?

this is for a friend, she's trying to see if she can be supported somewhat if she goes back to england as she's not really able to stay here anymore due to her mum not being able to support her enough.

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Ring the benefit agency?
  • Options
    Originally posted by JsT
    Ring the benefit agency?

can't. it's one of those numbers that you can't ring from outside the country....
  • Options
    Re: benefits?
    Originally posted by twisted_trinity
    does anyone know what benefits i could resieve if:

under 18 but over 16 and living in the UK without parents, having a mental condition, and being supported by a lone parent, who isn't livng in the country but is a british citizan and and is a low earner?

this is for a friend, she's trying to see if she can be supported somewhat if she goes back to england as she's not really able to stay here anymore due to her mum not being able to support her enough.

is she looking for a house by herself yea.
  • Options
    You can't get benifits if you don't reside in the UK, or at least I'm pretty sure you cannot. Why not get a job?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    You can't get benifits if you don't reside in the UK, or at least I'm pretty sure you cannot. Why not get a job?

she will be coming back to the UK if she can be sure that she will get more support than here. and she's going to be going to college as well.
  • Options
    Re: Re: benefits?
    Originally posted by turlough
    is she looking for a house by herself yea.

yep, her and possibly one friend. but the friend is 18 odd
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    I'm at college and I have a job?

has her or her mum ever lived in the uk and paid taxes by chance?

yes she has, up until 2 years ago...

but does your job pay the bills and rent etc? or do you still live at home?
  • Options
    she will be coming back to the UK if she can be sure that she will get more support than here. and she's going to be going to college as well.

well if she's not in uni and is still at school, she'll get her rent paid for her plus a grant to buy basic furniture and kitchen utensils but she'll be expected to pay for electricity and heating, not sure about the mental health stuff and all that.
  • Options
    well if she's not in uni and is still at school, she'll get her rent paid for her plus a grant to buy basic furniture and kitchen utensils but she'll be expected to pay for electricity and heating, not sure about the mental health stuff and all that.

right, that seems ok. i'm not sure if the mental health stuff is gonna matter as she seems a lot better now and she's off the meds but she has had a really bad history of depression.

i'm not sure if the place she is going to is classed as a uni or a college or either......very confusing...
  • Options
    Really?

I wouldn't have thought she'd be entitled to any benefit. Except maybe that new fangled thing for staying at school. Thirty quid a week or some such.

Have a look here
  • Options
    Hmm, did't think you can get benifits if your in college full time. I once went into the job centre and asked about this and they said they wouldn't be able to give me any if im in college full time.
  • Options
    Why not enquire at the job centre or Citizens Advice Bureu (cant spell :p), Im sure they'd be more than happy to help :)
  • Options
    well if she's over 16 but under 18.. leaving her to be 17.. I would assume she'll be going to a college?

she's 16, sorry i made it a little unclear.....

she's a british citizan,
    she's trying to find somewhere to study music though she hasn't got any GCSEs (she might have 3 or 4 by summer as she's retaking them)

and the link was very very confusing. i think she would be covered because she would be A) on low income if she did have a job, B) as she's been living in spain i think she would be cover (being in the EU and all)

but it has so many contraditions......

and she was told she couldn't come back to the UK before her 16th birthday, because she had a huge problem with her dad wanting her to stay in the country, when he didn't have custody etc.....

all in all it's very confusing. she's just very worried that she's gonna get there and end up having to work loads of hours and live somewhere really scummy just to get by and not be able to go back to college/uni to study....
  • Options
    To get JSA you have to be available for work for over 16 hours a week, if I remember rightly.

So if you aren't prepared to drop your course to get a job you can't have JSA.
  • Options

its quite difficult (as far as I'm aware anyway) to get onto a level 3 course (a level or equivalent) without having any G.C.S.Es (or an equivalent like an intermeditate GNVQ or the likes)

she's on a level 3 C&G course on music production (the same one i'm starting), so she will have some thing, just not any GCSEs. idealy she'd like to get a job using that but thats not always easy.....

she's looking to come over in a year....and she's only just turned 16.....
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    To get JSA you have to be available for work for over 16 hours a week, if I remember rightly.

So if you aren't prepared to drop your course to get a job you can't have JSA.

what exactly is a JSA??
  • Options
    Didnt think you could get JSA (Job Seekers Allowance) til you were 18?
  • Options
    Originally posted by KinkyBoots

that explains what it is then....
  • Options
    that explains what it is then....

Aye :)

Tis a posh name for the dole. I think. Meh :/
  • Options
    Aye :)

Tis a posh name for the dole. I think. Meh :/

Yep. :)

all these things are all so confusing.....can't get my head around it all.
  • Options

16 and not in full-time education.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    16 and not in full-time education.

so part time and i might be able to get away with it?
  • Options
    Oh right. My bad :/

Trinity, I thought you said it wasnt for you?
  • Options
    Oh right. My bad :/

Trinity, I thought you said it wasnt for you?

well, it is and it isn't......oh alright it is for me, i'm getting all funny about saying things are me on here atm....people have a go at me if i do.....
  • Options
    I'm sure you can claim jobseekers allowance or income support as you have special circumstances. Might be a bit tricky though, as you actually want to go to college, and if you are at college you are classed as not actively seeking employment. Anyhow I found this page for you and thought it might help

jobseekers for 16/17 yr olds

My old flatmate was 15 when he moved out of home, and he qualified for a "bridging loan" they gave him about 15 quid a week but wouldn't pay his rent. Was all very complicated. It would be worth earning some money and checking all this out before you actually come over to the UK as benefits can take a while to get up and running if you have unusual circumstances.

Hope it helps!
  • Options
    Just wanted to add that i don't think the depression thing will have anything to do with it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Just wanted to add that i don't think the depression thing will have anything to do with it.

Indeed. I'm happy to say that the governement haven't quite reached the stage where they give out huge wads of cash to those angsty teenagers who have been feeling a bit down.

Anyway, my guess would be that they would consider you to be supported by your parents, whether your parents pay you any money or not.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety

i wouldn't have thought so. i've never had a penny for any of my mentalness.

not that i'd expect it.

what was the problem with getting a job again?
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

Me neither. Although i have been ok for about a year now :D.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

not that i'd expect it.

Yes, but your doctor might sign you off work and you could go on IB with serious depression.