Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

cash.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know what debit cards are man, I have 2 of them. But you can use them just like a credit card. When you buy shit just tell them credit instead of debit then it takes the cash out even if you don't have it. So really, you can work around the system to spend the money you don't have yet still keeping a lovely credit report. Though obviously this cannot be done to extremes.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I paid for an 845-euro computer in cash a couple of weeks ago. I expected to get weird looks (because it was much money) but I didn't. In fact, just because I used cash, I got a discount and only gave 827.
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    I know what debit cards are man, I have 2 of them. But you can use them just like a credit card. When you buy shit just tell them credit instead of debit then it takes the cash out even if you don't have it. So really, you can work around the system to spend the money you don't have yet still keeping a lovely credit report. Though obviously this cannot be done to extremes.

Kinda your own fucking stupid fault then isn't it...
  • Options
    Originally posted by beans
    Ahhh i see, i was about to give you the :flirt: face and everything :p

When iwas charged emergency tax at work they never let me claim it back, bah, it was only £80 but thats £80 i could have spent on clothes/food etc.

Did you ask your employer for the emergency tax back or the tax office? If you paid it before 6th April the tax office will have to sort it out but they will ask you for your P60 or the P45's for all your employments in the tax year you paid the emergency tax in :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Joolyknockers
    Did you ask your employer for the emergency tax back or the tax office? If you paid it before 6th April the tax office will have to sort it out but they will ask you for your P60 or the P45's for all your employments in the tax year you paid the emergency tax in :)

It would have been two years ago now, i got taxed 40 quid for the month of Novemeber 2002 and 40 quid for december 2002, out of a £160 pay cheque.I did tell my employeer about it, they were like ohh we will sort it out and never did. Isn't it a bit late to get that money back?
  • Options
    Originally posted by beans
    It would have been two years ago now, i got taxed 40 quid for the month of Novemeber 2002 and 40 quid for december 2002, out of a £160 pay cheque.I did tell my employeer about it, they were like ohh we will sort it out and never did. Isn't it a bit late to get that money back?

No course it's not too late. You can still claim back to 98/99. If you are due a repayment you will get a bit of interest on it too ( not v much mind!)

If you left that employer before the 5th April 2003, send your copy of the P45 into the tax office with a covering letter. If you were still employed by them at 5th April 2003 send your P60 in. They may need details of any other employment/unemployment or time spent in full time education for that year, but they will write and ask if necessary. If you haven't got the appropriate P45 or P60 just write in an explain this (include the employers name) as they should be able to retrieve the information for you.
  • Options
    Cash isnt really money either though is it, its just a note saying that we might give you some pounds for it if you come to the Bank of England.

We pass around lots of IOU's rather than actual money. And of course most of the IOU's are now backed up by other currency, which is also an IOU.

So really its a big farce but because we all WANT to believe it, it works.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Cash isnt really money either though is it, its just a note saying that we might give you some pounds for it if you come to the Bank of England.

We pass around lots of IOU's rather than actual money. And of course most of the IOU's are now backed up by other currency, which is also an IOU.

So really its a big farce but because we all WANT to believe it, it works.

Because everyone beleives it does work, it does work.

Money is only relative to other things, peoples attitudes,
    Goods, like a car a meal are real thats what you need, these are absolute, if you have a good meal it dosnt matter what other people think of it if youve just eaten it.

Money on the other hand is only relative to what people will exchange it for it has no intrinsic value in its self.
  • Options
    This trust can be seen with the US dollar, there are many hundreds of millions of dollars going around which are fake, yet this over supply into the market has very little inflationary effect on the price.

This is because there is a market belief in the US dollar and its stability.
  • Options
    No course it's not too late. You can still claim back to 98/99. If you are due a repayment you will get a bit of interest on it too ( not v much mind!)

If you left that employer before the 5th April 2003, send your copy of the P45 into the tax office with a covering letter. If you were still employed by them at 5th April 2003 send your P60 in. They may need details of any other employment/unemployment or time spent in full time education for that year, but they will write and ask if necessary. If you haven't got the appropriate P45 or P60 just write in an explain this (include the employers name) as they should be able to retrieve the information for you.

Joolyknockers, do you work for the I.R.?
  • Options
    I always walk round with the biggest wad possibly rolly :thumbs:

Never know what will come up ;)
  • Options
    I wouldn't say I carry a big wad, but I do like to carry some cash. There are still places it's impossible, or not easy to use the plastic.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    I wouldn't ever have a wad, I'm a student

I did once, I had £400 in tens.
    Thats the most i've had too lol buti got too scared and gave it to a mate to hold onto. its was in twenty's thou so it felt lighter
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    Joolyknockers, do you work for the I.R.?

Yep, have done for 6 years now
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: cash.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    something i have always refused to have. debit ok ...credit not ok.

I will only use a debit card. Not credit cards, I want a debt free life tbh.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: cash.
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    I will only use a debit card. Not credit cards, I want a debt free life tbh.

You'll learn, dont worry.
  • Options
    Yep, have done for 6 years now

I wonder what gave me the clue?! ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Kinda your own fucking stupid fault then isn't it...

:rolleyes: not a stuipd fault, a genius one. No need to get vulgar doll.
  • Options
    i prefer to carry around cash, so i can see what i am spending. lot easier to just buy stuff if i stick it on card as it doesn't seem like real spending.

get odd looks though being young and carrying around lots of cash on you :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Maladjusted
    i prefer to carry around cash, so i can see what i am spending. lot easier to just buy stuff if i stick it on card as it doesn't seem like real spending.

get odd looks though being young and carrying around lots of cash on you :rolleyes:

I'll have to agree with this. When I carry cash around I get a much better overview of what I'm spending. Whenever I rely on my card I usually don't realise I've run out of money until my card isn't accepted somewhere... :o
  • Options
    that would be it exactly!