Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hostages in Iraq

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hehehe :)
  • Options
    :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by eternalsunshine
    Yer off yer frigging rocker aintcha :)

Lets keep it going :)
    ok everlasting moonshine!
  • Options
    :D
    to full capacity!
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    ok everlasting moonshine!

You're barking up the wrong tree - they're not even in the same country ..........

:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by freethepeeps
    You're barking up the wrong tree - they're not even in the same country ..........

:)
    Completely different country mate :p

What's with all this paranoia shit? Are they afraid to accept individuals for what they truly are?

Individuals!!
  • Options
    Completely different country mate :p

What's with all this paranoia shit? Are they afraid to accept individuals for what they truly are?

Individuals!!

Hopefully it'll all die down soon, and they'll find out what splendid and different individuals we are.

Nobody seems to have a clue who's got Margaret Hassan btw - lots of suspicious rumblings going on

:yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    I feel terrible for admitting that the thought of a woman beheaded is more distressing than a man.

But for me it is. I felt terribly sorry for Mr Bigley. I feel horrified and ill for Mrs Hassan.

What gets me is that she's not a contractor over in Iraq to make a quick buck, but someone who's been there for over 30 years helping others and even married an Iraqi man .. after 30 years there if they don't consider her to be one of their own I don't know what is.

I think the situation is such that doing nothing by the government doesn't help and neogoiating with the kidnappers is impossible.

The only thing I can think of is to say to the kidnappers for every person they kidnap and then kill the government will send over 1,000 more troops, so the kidnappers know they're only going to make their own lives more difficult by kidnapping and then killing people.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer

The only thing I can think of is to say to the kidnappers for every person they kidnap and then kill the government will send over 1,000 more troops, so the kidnappers know they're only going to make their own lives more difficult by kidnapping and then killing people.

Strangely enough, she lived in Iraq for over 30 years without being kidnapped - theres a lesson to be learnt here - and its that trying to use brute force doesn't work - it makes the problem worse.

The troops already out there aren't properly equipped - and lord only knows where you think these thousands of troops will come from - they're already having to borrow the Black Watch so they can go kill some kids in Fallujah.

:rolleyes:

edited to add link to relevant article
    THE US has lost the military initiative in Iraq and is in danger of losing the war. Eighteen months after coalition forces swept victoriously into Baghdad, a hard-pressed US occupying army is now facing a rapidly evolving guerilla war that it is singularly ill-equipped to surmount.
  • Options
    So why is it that the US/UK government representatves are extremely reluctant to send their children into Iraq to make up for the 'shortfall'?

This whole Iraqi debacle just exposes the hypocrisy that is inherent within all of those who would wish to wage war on 'our behalf'.

It's pathetic!
  • Options
    Originally posted by freethepeeps
    Hopefully it'll all die down soon, and they'll find out what splendid and different individuals we are.
    Oh yes :)
  • Options
    Oh yes :)
    hey i'm a gemini ok ...
  • Options
    So why is it that the US/UK government representatves are extremely reluctant to send their children into Iraq to make up for the 'shortfall'?

This whole Iraqi debacle just exposes the hypocrisy that is inherent within all of those who would wish to wage war on 'our behalf'.

It's pathetic!

Very True about them being reluctant but it's certinly too late to retreat back to the UK and USA, these two country's leaders took it upon themselves to invade, so now it's their responability to clean up the resulting mess they've help create.

If they pull out now Iraq wil probably be in civil war for decades.
    If they keep the status Quo then things probabaly won't change moe then it has now .. so only thing left is to go in stronger
  • Options

If they pull out now Iraq wil probably be in civil war for decades.
    If they keep the status Quo then things probabaly won't change moe then it has now .. so only thing left is to go in stronger

Some more frm the article op cit
    "Village by village, block by block, the vast and challenging land that we entered in March 2003 has shrivelled into a medieval city-state, a grim and edgy place where the only question is how much more territory we will lose tomorrow
    "I have spent most of the past year-and-a-half travelling in Iraq and I have never known it so bad," observes Cockburn. "The insurrection is spreading each month under its own momentum. It does so because the dominant fact in Iraqi politics is the overwhelming unpopularity of the US occupation."

Its not getting better, its getting worse - 'WE' are hated - the longer 'we' are there, the worse it will get.

Britain and America are only interested in securing the oil, and privatising as much as possible.

"only thing left is to go in stronger" - Meet the new boss, just like the old boss

Blair is reduced to saying that "at least we got rid of a dictator" - now you want him to step into the breach ..........
  • Options
    so only thing left is to go in stronger
    So why haven't you volunteered for service in Iraq Diamond?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    hey i'm a gemini ok ...
    and I'm a Scorpio :)
  • Options
    so erm........if we are in a democracy, then the government and their actions are representative of the will of the people..........so when we go wading into iraq, then surely these terrorists will see even civilians as targets for their cause, because we are in effect responsible for doing nothing.......im not saying i approve of their methods, although i know people who are nonplussed because it isnt any worse than what americans are doing around the world......but there is logic.......

on another note, i was debating with my friend whether contractors who go over there did it primarily 'to help rebuild iraq' or just for the pay packet, i personally think they do it mainly for the money but my friend disagreed........and thats because despite the risk and kidnappings so far they're still over there, they cant care that much about iraqis to risk their lives as civilians, as much as i would like to believe it.
  • Options
    So why haven't you volunteered for service in Iraq Diamond?
    simple question really