Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Always wear a seatbelt.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Found out tonight that the second person of my age group in this area has died within the last month because of a car accident. I knew neither of them that well, but I knew the most recent better than the first, and it does start to hit home how important it is to be safe on the road, especially at such a young age where it can cost so much.

I assume from reading here most of you people are intelligent enough not to hold the stupid attitude I've noticed around my area of it being "too pussy" to wear a seatbelt. It takes little effort to do, just something to always remember.
Be safe.

Comments

• Options
    Sensible stuff.
  • Options
    I always wear my seatbelt in the car, it's the first thing i do when i get into the car.

A seatbelt is there to be worn.
  • Options
    i've always put my seatbelt on whenever i've gotten in a car. it's second nature to me.

it confuses me when people don't wear them then wonder why they're flying through the windscreen of their car
  • Options
    It just feels wrong to be in a moving car without a seatbelt on. I just can't do it. Even when just moving a car a few feet my reaction is to automaticly reach for the seatbelt. It's just a part of getting into, and starting, the car.
  • Options
    The main reason I don't like buses is because they don't have seat belts. I think that it's all down to common sense as to whether or not you where a seat belt, and though it's a shame these people died like this, I guess they only really have themselves to blame.
  • Options
    How often do we get these threads?

Incidentally a crash at I think 30mph the person sitting in the back seat has the relative inertia of an elephant. If you're not wearing a seatbelt you'll mess up your face on the seat in front, but you'll also break the neck of the person sitting there.

Wear a seatbelt kids.
  • Options
    if they die because they are too stupid to wear the belt, then it's no major loss to the gene pool in my opinion.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    if they die because they are too stupid to wear the belt, then it's no major loss to the gene pool in my opinion.

I endose this opinion. :thumb:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken

I second it,

Only time i've not worn a seatbelt was when my mum pulls into the driveway
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken

I thank you for your endosement :p
  • Options
    I thank you for your endosement :p

no thank you
  • Options
    I think it's very harsh to say that people who die in traffic accidents because they weren't wearing a seatbelt are doing a favour to mankind by not spreading their genes. I doubt you'd have that attitude if someone in your family had been in a car accident and died.
  • Options

the worse thing being is as fiend said, if the person in the back isn't wearing a seatbelt at 30mph, the person in front gets seriously damaged.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    I think it's very harsh to say that people who die in traffic accidents because they weren't wearing a seatbelt are doing a favour to mankind by not spreading their genes. I doubt you'd have that attitude if someone in your family had been in a car accident and died.

Harsh but fair to be honest, my family wear their seatbelts.
  • Options
    Harsh but fair to be honest, my family wear their seatbelts.

And my friends wear their seatbelts, but how many drivers pull off before everyone has their belt on? How easy is it to be trying to do something else before putting your belt on? Not really fair, but definatly Harsh.
  • Options
    I've always worn a seatbelt and never forget to. Once you do it for a while it ends up being something you do every time you get into a car without having to think about it.
    I just see it as a pretty pointless and stupid way to die, for the sake of something that takes a second to do.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    And my friends wear their seatbelts, but how many drivers pull off before everyone has their belt on? How easy is it to be trying to do something else before putting your belt on? Not really fair, but definatly Harsh.

In my opinion it is fair. The first thing I do is put the belt on, it isn't that complicated. What else exactly would you need to do?
  • Options
    In my opinion it is fair. The first thing I do is put the belt on, it isn't that complicated. What else exactly would you need to do?

Well, you could be carrying something, that you havn't secured/sorted yet, the seatbelt could get stuck, you could be helping someone else with theirs. You just havn't thought about all the factors. I went mental at a mate of mine, roo in fact, she had forgotten her seatbelt, we were talking at the time probably, I was only going about 15mph at the time, but slammed on the breaks and she slammed into the dashboard. It's not like she's stupid, or that I was negligent, it just happens.
  • Options
    Well, you could be carrying something, that you havn't secured/sorted yet, the seatbelt could get stuck, you could be helping someone else with theirs. You just havn't thought about all the factors.

Please don't tell me what I have and have not done. I have considered the factors, if any of that stuff that you're talking about is going on, then the car shouldn't be moving. It's as simple as that.
  • Options
    Please don't tell me what I have and have not done. I have considered the factors, if any of that stuff that you're talking about is going on, then the car shouldn't be moving. It's as simple as that.

Of course the car shouldn't be moving, but it is. It happens, people pull away without wiping the arses of their adult passengers.
  • Options
    Wearing a seat belts is for pussies.

Be a man like me and say fuck it.
  • Options
    Of course the car shouldn't be moving, but it is. It happens, people pull away without wiping the arses of their adult passengers.

Well that's your choice, I'd prefer that people don't go through my windscreen, or thud into the back of me.

So, as I said, it's perfectly fair.
  • Options
    Originally posted by CheeseOnToast

lol you are a fool unless you are joking.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I lost some close mates in a two seperate drink driving incidents in the space of two months. It's no coincedence that those that died wern't wearing belts.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster

What a pile of pish you talk :rolleyes:

With an attitude like that you almost deserve to go through a windscreen.

Sorry if it sounds harsh but I feel quite strongly on something like this.
  • Options

Ooo.. please crash :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Godders
    lol you are a fool unless you are joking.

Yes mate I was, thanks for nearly realising.
    Ooo.. please crash

Hell fire, even if someone had said that it's not like anyone deserves to crash, I bet you can't even drive anyway, scab.
    What a pile of pish you talk

With an attitude like that you almost deserve to go through a windscreen.

Sorry if it sounds harsh but I feel quite strongly on something like this.

Yes it does sound a bit fucking harsh, I was joking, so get off your shetland pony and chill the fuck out.

If you paid attention you'd realise I'm banned from driving anyway :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit

He can't be serious. It's impossible for such stupidity to exist. Isn't it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    He can't be serious. It's impossible for such stupidity to exist. Isn't it?

Maybe it's not impossible, but I'd have to like to have thought people would know me enough by now to know I'm not that idiotic.. maybe not though :p
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Maybe it's not impossible, but I'd have to like to have thought people would know me enough by now to know I'm not that idiotic.. maybe not though :p
    It probably seemed like I was calling you stupid, sorry. I was saying that you surely were joking.