Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

windows xp = shite!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    Maybe then I can blame it for having so many holes that I get attacked by viruses every 15 minutes (which my AV luckily deletes) or for using my modem without my permission to send info to MS?

thats funny, i dont even have a virus scanner installed, but every week or so i will do two online virus scans and they always come out with no viruses, why? because im carefull with what i do with my computer ,(i.e wont install random programs unless i know they are, wont use that exploit ridden internet explorer) and things like that.

If your getting viruses every 15 minutes or so and no-one else is surely you can see that its your actions on the computer that are causing these viruses to arise and not windows XP's ?

Think about it, if windows XP on its own was riddled with bugs and stuff that allow viruses to be installed every 15 minutes like you say then surely microsoft would know about it and produce a vitual system update to stop it from happening?

I dont think you can place blame on the OS for what the repocussions of your actions on the computer.
  • Options
    I much prefer Windows XP to older versions. It doesn't crash every five minutes, like most other versions seem to. It's a good operating system, I am very happy with it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by jake0
    If your getting viruses every 15 minutes or so and no-one else is surely you can see that its your actions on the computer that are causing these viruses to arise and not windows XP's ?

If you replace IE + OE with the Mozilla suite then that will cut most of the problems out. Oh and of course replace that bloody Kazaa thing with Winmx.
  • Options
    jake0

>"If your getting viruses every 15 minutes or so and no-one else is surely you can see that its your actions on the computer that are causing these viruses to arise and not windows XP's ?"

There are plenty of viruses and trojans that can infect a computer without any action from its user. They can easily be installed by websites on computers that run earlier versions of Internet Explorer 6. MS Blaster installed itself onto machines by exploiting a security hole.

>"surely microsoft would know about it and produce a vitual system update to stop it from happening?"
    They have. It's called Service Pack 2
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    they always come out with no viruses, why? because im carefull with what i do with my computer ,(i.e wont install random programs unless i know they are, wont use that exploit ridden internet explorer) and things like that.
    Ok, can you please please tell me which of the following is a "random program which I don't know what it is"?
    Firefox
    Netscape
    Winzip
    Yahoo Messenger
    GetRight
    Norton Antivirus
    Norton Ghost

And some games I've had for years and the drivers for my devices (from CD).
  • Options
    Getright.

if you read this page

http://home.tvd.be/ws36178/security/spylist.html

you can see that getright has been confirmed to have spyware in it,
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Getright.

if you read this page

http://home.tvd.be/ws36178/security/spylist.html

you can see that getright has been confirmed to have spyware in it,
    Hm, Interesting. I had it before too and never had a problem, though I used to run Ad-aware often then. I'll try downloading it again. If GR is the problem, and it didn't cause a problem in 98, then after that it won't cause a problem here either, right?
  • Options
    I run getright on my pc too although it's not monitoring clicks or anything, i use it for those super big downloads, 1gb+ . never had any real problems with it
  • Options
    Windows XP isn't all that bad. Nor is 2000. Compared to '95, '98, '98 SE, and ME, they're a godsend. So much more stable, and have a lot of nice little features and software built in. I can understand peoples whinges about Microsoft and their operating systems, but XP is the best so far. Having said that, I'm still suffering a couple of glitches with system tray icons, and random crash/reboots.

The first time I tried to install XP on this machine it all went wrong. Kept on crashing, running CHKDSK and deleting/renaming files all over the place. Very frustrating. So I started from scratch with fdisking the drives (actually used Maxtor's Maxblast, as they're Maxtor drives), and a fresh install, and all's been fairly well since then, apart from the aforementioned random crash/reboot and icon thing.

I used to dual boot Linux Mandrake, and want to again in the near future (when I get a copy of the latest version), and was sooo impressed with its stability. It wasn't immune to glitches, lock ups, and crashes, but they were next to nothing, even when compared to 2000 & XP.