Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

windows xp = shite!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
so there i was, quite content with windows 98, when my dad decides to get xp to "keep up with modern technology" and all that.

well "modern technology" is pish!! honestly, i had no probs with 98, but in the 2 weeks since installing xo, my computer has went arse-over-tit in just about every way. we even had to take it back to the shop to get it re-fangled.

i cant play my mp3's. its randomly saving things into other user acounts...just generally being shite.

has anyone else encountered this, or is xp just generally shit?

Comments

• Options
    I can't say that I've encountered that.
  • Options
    Windows XP comes with Windows Media Player which will play any MP3 you throw at it. Also, it can not save into other user accounts and the operating system prevents such actions.

Windows XP is the best operating system to come out of Microsoft. I hated it at first but it does grow on you. Plus it doesn't crash five times a day like "good ol' '98"
  • Options
    Originally posted by ben.s
    Windows XP comes with Windows Media Player which will play any MP3 you throw at it. Also, it can not save into other user accounts and the operating system prevents such actions.

Windows XP is the best operating system to come out of Microsoft. I hated it at first but it does grow on you. Plus it doesn't crash five times a day like "good ol' '98"

I agree with you there. I cringe when I see Windows 98 now.
  • Options

Windows Media Player is for nubs though ;[ XP comes with Paint and Internet Explorer too, but there's still roughly 98234828487134879870 better programs for doing the job :razz:
  • Options
    Re: windows xp = shite!!
    Originally posted by paperdoll
    so there i was, quite content with windows 98, when my dad decides to get xp to "keep up with modern technology" and all that.

well "modern technology" is pish!! honestly, i had no probs with 98, but in the 2 weeks since installing xo, my computer has went arse-over-tit in just about every way. we even had to take it back to the shop to get it re-fangled.

i cant play my mp3's. its randomly saving things into other user acounts...just generally being shite.

Windows XP is highly unlikely to do any of this on its own.

if it is doing things like this then chances are its because of what someones done to it, i.e their actions on the PC.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    Hate to say it, but a thread where people support Microsoft made me smile

It makes a change like.
  • Options
    you can get a free trial version of XPLite which will remove a few unneeded features from WindowsXP, which helps speed it up a bit.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    Hate to say it, but a thread where people support Microsoft made me smile

Linux is my primary operating system - I avoid Windows whenever possible :p
  • Options
    Linux is my primary operating system - I avoid Windows whenever possible :p

not a big game player then? :(
  • Options
    I tried XP 4 times and didn't get into it. Mind you though, I didn't have any of the problems described by Paperdoll. XP has the general feeling of slowness even on a 2800 MHz system due to its massive footprint over the previous versions of Windows. Also I got very used to customising W95 and 98 and found that a lot of my desktop architect work didn't make the changes correctly in WXP. What I'll probably eventually do is take the plunge with XP and install Window Blinds over it. Or just go Linux.

Or hopefully the Symbian software on mobile phones will also take control on desktop computers.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Monserrat

Or hopefully the Symbian software on mobile phones will also take control on desktop computers.

And you think XP is slow?

gahhh.
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of Windows but use it because everything is brought out on windows, well everything i need,

Atm i use Me but Want to upgrade to XP, just need to get more power in my pc lol
  • Options
    People bang on about Windows being so crap but they will never change their O/S so they might as well stop moaning unless you change to Linux or OSx.
  • Options
    Originally posted by noog
    not a big game player then? :(

Games are the only reason I keep Windows. And Linux runs UT2004 brilliantly :D
  • Options
    XP has always been good for me. Never done anything like that, it sound slike a PC problem not an XP problem.

I keep meaning to try Linux, but I can never ever be arsed.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    XP better than 98?? Are you kidding me? It was months before I first had a serious problem with 98. It's only been a week with XP and, had I not paid 871 euros for this machine, I'd have thrown it off the balcony.
    I hope I can get Fedora to work soon...
  • Options
    Fedora? pfftt.

Actually ive been thinking about switching my main pc over to linux for a long time, theres not much stopping me from doing it, apart from mirc really but i could run that on wine with no problems.

ive already got a server that runs debian linux, but im not sure if i want to take the plunge to running linux for a desktop pc or not.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    XP better than 98?? Are you kidding me? It was months before I first had a serious problem with 98. It's only been a week with XP and, had I not paid 871 euros for this machine, I'd have thrown it off the balcony.
    I hope I can get Fedora to work soon...

2000 and XP are both years better than 98. The stability is much better under XP and 2000, as is other stuff.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    2000 and XP are both years better than 98. The stability is much better under XP and 2000, as is other stuff.
    Well, at least in 98 I never got a message that there's no free space in my hard drive when it's 120GB with nothing but Windows installed.
  • Options
    well i have a 30gig hdd on the laptop and have never had a lack of disc space problem, even with all sorts of bloated windows things on
  • Options
    Well, at least in 98 I never got a message that there's no free space in my hard drive when it's 120GB with nothing but Windows installed.

???

Windows XP on here is ~ 2 Gig. And that's a factory install, so it's not even been cut down.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bacon
    buy a mac you cheap skates.

you get what you pay for.

http://ccx.elixant.com/mac%5b1%5d.swf
  • Options

Unfortunately with a Mac you pay for something pretty useless.
  • Options
    Re: windows xp = shite!!
    Originally posted by paperdoll

xp is brill. my pc has never been so stable.
    are you sure your comps big enough to handle it?
    to be honest ...if you have to send your comp to a shop for an os probblem ...then it's obvious it's your fault ...not windows.
  • Options

mac = utter fucking snobbish crap!
  • Options

Yeah, a glorified paper weight ;[
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    Yeah, a glorified paper weight ;[

or a fucking BOAT ANCHOR!
  • Options
    ???

Windows XP on here is ~ 2 Gig. And that's a factory install, so it's not even been cut down.
    I know. That's why I complained about it. And do you know why that was? I had 3 partitions, one of which unformatted. Formatting that one solved it, but the problem should have never been.
  • Options
    I know. That's why I complained about it. And do you know why that was? I had 3 partitions, one of which unformatted. Formatting that one solved it, but the problem should have never been.

Not sure that you can blame XP for that though ;)
  • Options
    Not sure that you can blame XP for that though ;)
    Maybe then I can blame it for having so many holes that I get attacked by viruses every 15 minutes (which my AV luckily deletes) or for using my modem without my permission to send info to MS?