Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

New development could house the population of Birmingham

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Is there any reason why (for example) the Civil Service needs to be centralised in London?

Move departments out to the regions and they'll be completely regenerated; pressure on London and the South East will ease up a little; bright young things won't have to move away from their local areas which adds to a continual brain drain.....

It should be much easier these days, with decent secure communication.
  • Options
    In fact, it would be good for the country at large, if we moved the capital to a northern city like York.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    In fact, it would be good for the country at large, if we moved the capital to a northern city like York.

Lol! Riight.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    Lol! Riight.

Actually I was serious. Growth in london would fall off, it's already too large. It would halt the rise in house prices in the south, and spread the population north.

If I could remember the name of the economist who first proposed it, I'd tell you, but I can't.
  • Options
    It’s a ridiculous idea.

London is the capital city. I know I’m biased but I don’t think anywhere else in the country has the international cosmopolitan global feeling that London has and that most capital cities have.

York as the capital city? A complete joke.

And er with this grand plan would Parliament, the High Court, House of Lords, foreign embassies and just about all those other important capital city buildings just be ripped out of London and moved up north?
  • Options
    moving some government dept to other parts of country could save billions over a few years in rent alone
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Move departments out to the regions and they'll be completely regenerated; pressure on London and the South East will ease up a little; bright young things won't have to move away from their local areas which adds to a continual brain drain.....

This needs to be done a lot more IMO. The movement of the Department of Health upto Leeds has had good effects on the city.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    I don’t think anywhere else in the country has the international cosmopolitan global feeling that London has and that most capital cities have.

You mean like Washington, DC.

Or maybe Ottawa.

Or maybe Canberra.

Bern maybe?

Bonn, anyone?

OK, then, Ankara?
  • Options
    Is there any reason why (for example) the Civil Service needs to be centralised in London?

GWST this exactly whats needed. They managed to do this with MOD procurement section by moving it to Bristol. It can and will work if there is the political will power to do so.

Another solution should be the compulsory purchase of derelict building and housing of which there is plenty in most cities and towns.

Kermit, building upwards can work if they are properly managed as in New York, I lived in a high-rise for a while and loved it. If they are built for the private sector and operate with an efficient concierge and maintenance system. Cities like New York, Paris and Barcelona seem to be able to do it.
  • Options
    In a solution to the housing crisis, possibly to create loads of 3 storey apartment blocks?
    Each one containing 2-3 bedroomed property that has to be bought. No council tenants, only people who are willing to pay and maintain the property.
    That'll solve the problems caused by housing thousands of poor people in blocks of flats.