Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Oasis

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Definitely Maybe is an album, not a single. Unlucky.
  • Options
    I was on about her & her thinking Oasis are shit, not the the ****** monkeys that get into the charts with a tune they haven't wrote their selfs.

Read the whole thread little lady.

big_man_with_a_: You can't just say somehting is shit, it's not a valid argument. It just makes you seem ignorant.
  • Options
    Brown Girl In the Ring Boney M

Am I the only one that think that song title just looks wrong.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    big_man_with_a_: You can't just say somehting is shit, it's not a valid argument. It just makes you seem ignorant.

ok then. poorly written soft rock songs for drunk people to shout along with.

which i don't happen to think is 'talent'.

better?
  • Options
    If that's true then John Lennon must have been an equally poor song writer then. Noel has been compaired to Lennon on more than onece by people who actually know about music.. industry pros.

So who ARE the good bands then? You seem to know your stuff.
  • Options
    Definitely Maybe is an album, not a single. Unlucky.

definitely maybe is not in the top 43 all time best-selling albums

unlucky. ;)

but, "Spice" - The Spice Girls, "Robson And Jerome" - Robson & Jerome , "Sound Of Music" - Soundtrack, "Falling Into You" - Celine Dion, and the god-forsaken "Now That's What I Call Music 44" - Various are.

popularity has fuck all to do with talent.
    You can't just say somehting is shit, it's not a valid argument. It just makes you seem ignorant.

you can't say something is good just because you like it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

of course no one can because not every has the same taste in music but you can't deny that oasis are a very talented band musically and lyrically, respect that at least.
  • Options
    definitely maybe is not in the top 43 all time best-selling albums

unlucky. ;)

but, "Spice" - The Spice Girls, "Robson And Jerome" - Robson & Jerome , "Sound Of Music" - Soundtrack, "Falling Into You" - Celine Dion, and the god-forsaken "Now That's What I Call Music 44" - Various are.

popularity has fuck all to do with talent.

orry, did I say popularity had fuck all to do with talent? Oasis ain't been about for the last 10 years because their crap have they?

VH1: 100 Best Songs of the Past 25 Years includes "Wonderwall"

Rolling Stone: The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time: # 376: (What's The Story) Morning Glory.
    Following a limited white label release of the song "Columbia", the band released its first proper singles, "Supersonic" and "Shakermaker," in the spring of 1994. Both became top 40 hits in the United Kingdom and attracted much attention.

Later that year the breakthrough came with the single "Live Forever," which was a major hit in Britain. It reached the top 10 and spent a year on the chart. Soon after, Oasis released its first album, Definitely Maybe, which became the biggest selling debut album in British history.

On record, too, the band had progressed, in April 'Some Might Say' provided them with their first No. 1 single, selling over 300,000 copies. The follow-up 'Roll With It' reached 400,000, and 'Wonderwall' is Platinum (600,000) and rising after 12 weeks in the Top Ten, and inspired an almost instant cover version by Mike Flowers.

Their second album '(What's The Story) Morning Glory?' went straight in at No. 1, and became the fastest-selling album since Michael Jackson's 'Bad' in 1987. By the end of 1995 it was certified 6 times Platinum, and, apart from Robson & Jerome, by far the biggest-selling album of the year. This success is being mirrored world-wide, with the album hitting No. 1 in France, Sweden, Ireland and New Zealand, as well as reaching gold in most other countries.

They also got nominated for a Grammy Award, 4 BRAT Awards & 6 BRIT Award. You don't get an album in the top 500 best ever albums for being talentless or having an album that went 6 times Platinum for being talentless.
  • Options
    apart from Robson & Jerome, by far the biggest-selling album of the year.
  • Options
    oasis are limited talent wise... liam can't really sing, noel however can write songs and play a guitar.

real props should go to the album producers/techs.

and the beatles.
  • Options
    and being nominated for awards says nothing about talent... the streets anyone?
  • Options
    What does any of this have to do with anything?

So people don't like Oasis. No, some people don't respect the Gallaghers. No, some people don't like the lyrics. No, some people don't think they are the best British band since the Beatles. No, some people don't think they are the best musicians of the past ten years.

No facts and figures can change this.
  • Options
    Re: Oasis
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    When im in school/sixthform, whatever, we have music on in the common room and there is always arguments over the sorta music played, and so they always put oasis on because "everybody likes oasis".
    So i was just wondering, does everyone like oasis? I do :yes:

No, I hate Oasis. I hate their voices, they sound like 80 a day chav smokers.

Blur are alright though.
  • Options
    i love their music and attitude, huge fan.
  • Options
    They're an awesome group - I still play their 'Whats The Story Morning Glory' album at least, ohhh, once a day.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    i do not like oasis one little bit. never did. i agree completely with kaffrin and big_man_with_a.
  • Options
    I hate the stupid twatish brothers and their fun "antics", and I hate Oasis for that reason (mostly), but also because many of their "hits" were rubbish.

Being popular these days is no real sign of quality. A recent number one for example sounds like this

Call on me
    Call on me
    Call on me
    Call on me
    Call on me
    Call on me
    Call on me
    Call on me
    Call on me
    Call on me
    Call on me
    Call on me
    Call on me
    Call on me
    Call on me
    Call on me
    Call on me
    Call on me

:chin:
  • Options
    noel however can write songs and play a guitar

I though you said their lryics are shit?
  • Options
    I though you said their lryics are shit?

he can write songs. they're ok songs, but they in no way deserve the kind of praise you're bestowing on them. ok, yes, they rhyme, but that doesn't equal amazing lyrics in my book. i'm a writer, i have high standards.
  • Options
    Oasis are ok. I can stand some of their songs. But in no way are they a particularly talented band.
  • Options
    he can write songs. they're ok songs, but they in no way deserve the kind of praise you're bestowing on them. ok, yes, they rhyme, but that doesn't equal amazing lyrics in my book. i'm a writer, i have high standards.

Stop contradicting your self. You say their shit now their songs are ok, make up your mind. Spose that's a bit to much to ask of a woman.

You look at what Lennon and McCartney have written, then look at what Noel has done, their isn't much difference in them.
    Oasis are ok. I can stand some of their songs. But in no way are they a particularly talented band.

Why are they not talented? To sell 18 million albums, you got to have some sort of talent.
  • Options
    Well I love them. Everything about them. Always have, always will.

For anyone who thinks differently......stick on definitely maybe or masterplan and really listen
  • Options
    You look at what Lennon and McCartney have written, then look at what Noel has done, their isn't much difference in them.

Why are they not talented? To sell 18 million albums, you got to have some sort of talent.

Clearly you like Oasis and I don't want to start a tit for tat slanging much over them. I do think it's quite shitty to insult other people's taste in music so I'm not going to.

However, Noel is nothing like Lennon, McCartney or George Harrison. They invented the chord changes that everyone uses today. Substituting chords, harmonising, expanding the three chord trick, they took songwriting to genius level. Noel hasn't

Bands like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Planet X etc are the most talented bands going today. They barely sell over 50,000 copies of their albums. Selling lots of albums is not an indicator of musical talent.
  • Options
    Stop contradicting your self. You say their shit now their songs are ok, make up your mind. Spose that's a bit to much to ask of a woman.

no, read it more carefully. i said oasis were shite. and they are. then i said noel gallager as a songwriter is ok. and he is. entirely different things. but then as a man, i guess you've been too busy hunting animals and beating your hands agains your chest to learn to read. oh my, these gender stereotypes.

1. exactly. utterly groundbreaking.
    2. where did i say i thought the beatles were good?
  • Options
    Oasis aren't shite, but they aren't worthy of the praise that they received either. They have released two decent albums, and an album of b-sides that was excellent, the rest has been mediocre towards shite.

I don't understand the hatred of Oasis, but then that is just musical taste. I know kaff loves Ani DiFranco, but I've never seen what all the fuss is about.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miss Elmo
    For anyone who thinks differently......stick on definitely maybe or masterplan and really listen

I really hate this attitude. If people don't like something, it's not because they are ignorant, or not listening properly. It's because they don't like it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    I really hate this attitude. If people don't like something, it's not because they are ignorant, or not listening properly. It's because they don't like it.

No, quite.

But most people will see Oasis as shite if they only listen to Shoulders and Be Here Now.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    But most people will see Oasis as shite if they only listen to Shoulders and Be Here Now.

i've listened to all of it. my brother was a fan, back in the day, much to my continual annoyance. liam's voice actually makes me cringe. physically cringe. same with some of the rhymes in the lyrics.

and musical taste and talent are seperate too. i quite like mcfly, but i wouldn't say for a minute they are talented. and then there are some people who i think are brilliant, but i don't really like their music.
    I know kaff loves Ani DiFranco, but I've never seen what all the fuss is about.

her music is not for everyone, admittedly. but she is a brilliant writer, and her lyrics shit all over noel gallagher's.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    And once again, the words good and overrated get confused. :p

To me, it's just some scouse guy making nasal noises ("Shyyy-eeee-yyyyyy-eeeene :|"). I don't think much of the lyrics either.

i grit my teeth reading that, there lyrics and guitar work and out of this world in my opinion... everything about the way they are and there music is fan bloody tastic. cant really go wrong with inspiration from the stone roses and the beatles
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Oasis aren't shite, but they aren't worthy of the praise that they received either. They have released two decent albums, and an album of b-sides that was excellent, the rest has been mediocre towards shite.

fair play, but in a interview, noel said, standing on the shoulders of giant, be here now are both fucking shit. definatley maybe, the masterplan and what the story are all legendary, money cant pay for the entertainment they have brought me