Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Oasis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
When im in school/sixthform, whatever, we have music on in the common room and there is always arguments over the sorta music played, and so they always put oasis on because "everybody likes oasis".
So i was just wondering, does everyone like oasis? I do :yes:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Yes, I rather like Oasis.

Edit: I prefer Blur though ;)
  • Options
    no, i think they're shite. and it pains me that their songs STILL get played.
  • Options
    THey're good, but they're so overrated. Y'know, to the point they need to get played in the common room every fucking day.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    get played in the common room every fucking day.

Tis annoying :yes:
  • Options
    Oasis aren't overated. Ever seen them live? If you do then you'll know what all the fuss is about. Oasis are a dying breed, there's not many Rock and Roll acts that are as good as them these days. They were one of biggest selling bands of the 1990s not to mention the they had the biggest sellout crowds in British history apart from Robbie Williams, plus their debut album Definitely Maybe when't way over triple platinum both in and out of the UK.
  • Options
    And once again, the words good and overrated get confused. :p

To me, it's just some scouse guy making nasal noises ("Shyyy-eeee-yyyyyy-eeeene :|"). I don't think much of the lyrics either.
  • Options
    Manc.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    Manc.

That makes no difference. Not to me anyway.

ETA: I know the difference between the accents, it' just I think nothing more or less of them knowing they are from Manchester.
  • Options
    I dont mind them. I do prefer Blur though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    I don't think much of the lyrics either.

so you've never heard live forever then, one of the best lyrical and musical songs ever, oasis are an institution, and are a dying breed, proper music, they definately are your band next door if there is such a thing and maybe they're overplayed but definately one of the greatest bands ever.
  • Options
    they had the biggest sellout crowds in British history apart from Robbie Williams

and what does that tell you? british people like shit music.

my dog sings better than robbie williams. and she's more attractive too.
  • Options
    One of the best bands of this generation. As felix says they are a dying breed.
    In my opinion if you never had oasis you would not of had many of the bands that are popular nowadays. They paved the way for many bands after them.
    They came along at a time when the idea of a decent British rock n roll band was a long and distant memory.

ETA deffinatly maybe probably the best debut album by any band.
    Just look at the songs that never got released as singles.
    Slide away the most obvious example.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

you might not like the music but you must admit they've done a huge favour to british music and at least respect them for it. regardless of taste.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    you might not like the music but you must admit they've done a huge favour to british music and at least respect them for it. regardless of taste.

What have they done exactly? Solds lots of albums and singles?
  • Options
    I think with some people they do not like Liam so they simply say they do not like Oasis. Same with Robbie williams.
  • Options

Well what are they meant to do? sell 250,000 tickets over 2 nights at Knebworth park? Oops sorry they did that.
    Seriously though what more can they do?
  • Options

encouraged lower class people that they can make music and make a difference, they were a peoples' band, inspired a generation, what British band in the past 10 years has made as big an impact as Oasis

*can you hear a pin drop?*
  • Options
    Originally posted by spartaalbion
    I think with some people they do not like Liam so they simply say they do not like Oasis. Same with Robbie williams.

Who the fudge is that stupid? I don't know anything about Liam Gallagher, except that he's apparently quite rude to the media and is married to one of the Appleton sisters, which would be a reason to like Oasis, in my opinion.
    encouraged lower class people that they can make music and make a difference, they were a peoples' band, inspired a generation.....

And to me, they are just another band.

The question was....OK I think the question was "Everyone likes Oasis, don't they?" and I said no. Simple as.
  • Options
    Originally posted by spartaalbion
    In my opinion if you never had oasis you would not of had many of the bands that are popular nowadays. They paved the way for many bands after them.
    They came along at a time when the idea of a decent British rock n roll band was a long and distant memory.

They were just one of the many early nineties british bands, the collective shite known as britpop. for some reason, while others faded into the background, oasis stuck around. lord only knows why.

if you can get your hands on any of the 'shine' CDs from around that time, you'll find 40-odd almost identical sounding bands. the stone roses/cast/shed seven/the charlatans/gene/suede/paul weller, anyone?
  • Options
    Ever seen them live? If you do then you'll know what all the fuss is about.

Yeah, I have. The same goes Metallica, Nirvana, Greenday etc. - all good bands, but so overrated.
    there's not many Rock and Roll

Um... They're not rock 'n' roll. Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis etc. - that's rock 'n' roll.
    not to mention the they had the biggest sellout crowds in British history apart from Robbie Williams, plus their debut album Definitely Maybe when't way over triple platinum both in and out of the UK.

Look at the state of the British charts. McFly, Busted, Special D, Eric Prydz, Cheeky Girls, O-Zone etc., then re-evaluate what weight the musical tastes of the nation holds.
    what British band in the past 10 years has made as big an impact as Oasis

That doesn't mean anything. The Stone Roses were 10 times the band Oasis are, but they're nowhere near as recognised.
  • Options

if you can get your hands on any of the 'shine' CDs from around that time, you'll find 40-odd almost identical sounding bands. the stone roses/cast/shed seven/the charlatans/gene/suede/paul weller, anyone?

I liked all of those bands. Alot of them were even better than Oasis, though Oasis was deemed as the "cool" band to say you listened to outta all of them. Like you said, Lord only knows why :razz:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    Yes, I rather like Oasis.

Edit: I prefer Blur though ;)

*agrees*
  • Options
    I wasn't a particular fan when they first came on the scene but got to like their tunes and lyrics over time..

I used to see Noel walk by a few times when I worked in London at Marylebone Train Station - we used to buy our lunch from the same Place!!
  • Options

my dog sings better than robbie williams. and she's more attractive too.

Maybe Brits have a good taste in music and it's you, the odd few that have the shit taste in music?

Why did they all sound more or less the same? Because their Manc bands inspired by legends. The Beatles, The Who, The Kinks, etc.
    Who the fudge is that stupid? I don't know anything about Liam Gallagher, except that he's apparently quite rude to the media and is married to one of the Appleton sisters, which would be a reason to like Oasis, in my opinion.

You have to give Liam some respect tho. People don't like him because he put's no hairs & graces on for anyone and you get what you see with him. Ok it might not be polite but not many people have the guts to be the way he is.

Also, not only is Noel a great guitarist, he is probaly one of the greatest song writers ever. You have to listen to the lyrics to appreciate them.

Oasis became great because they have got class, charisma & most of all, balls.
  • Options
    oasis drink >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> oasis band.

fact.
  • Options
    Maybe Brits have a good taste in music and it's you, the odd few that have the shit taste in music?

simply not true, check out the charts for a sharp wake up into the world of bad music.

nobody with taste buys anything in the top 40... it's kids with pocket money. perfect example? look at busted, not an ounce of musical talent between them yet they top the charts everytime they vomit up a song.

if that's not proof music is currently shite then i don't know what is.
  • Options
    oh and to whoever mentioned robbie williams, his latest track is pap... the backing track to it is an almost exact rip off of an old Bis track.
  • Options
    I was on about her & her thinking Oasis are shit, not the the faggot monkeys that get into the charts with a tune they haven't wrote their selfs.
  • Options
    but oasis ARE shit. and busted were simply an example of how any old crap can become popular...

do you dig my ditch?

The.TICK.Thumb.up.jpg
  • Options

http://www.pubquizhelp.34sp.com/ent/uktopsongs.html

Robson and Jerome, Ken Dodd, Will Young, Bryan Adams, AQUA, ffs.

I don't think so.