Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ethical dilema

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ok, basically, they'll follow her wishes until she passes out, then they'll pump her full of what she needs the way they do with coma patients. The doctor has a duty of care that cannot be neglected.
  • Options
    Not one to be a thread hijacker and all but isn't it Julia who keeps on cracking on to younger men - not marjory she is far too sweet.

Anyway I am sure that you can find some info here http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/archers/

Right back on topic doctors have to swear a hyporcratic (sp?) oath to say that they will do everything in thier power to keep their patients alive.

And for whoever asked yes I am pretty sure that they can still strap you down and force feed you even in this day and age as long as your sectioned.

PS Radio 4 rocks
  • Options
    Right now we have established that it can be done. Do you think its right?
  • Options
    Yes. Ultimately I think that a person wanting to end their own life is misguided and mentally unstable. They need help, death isn't going to get them anywhere.
  • Options
    I'm bumping this up to get the hopfully get opinions from different people
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Wyetry
    Right back on topic doctors have to swear a hyporcratic (sp?) oath to say that they will do everything in thier power to keep their patients alive.
    I'm not sure if this will be considered to be on-topic, but have you actually read the oath? Pretty much every doctor alive has broken it, and legally too.

EDIT: you might disregard this comment. I had the traditional oath in mind, and I just found out there's a "modern version" which is a lot different than the old one.
  • Options
    *bump*

i am a bit rusty on my ED knowledge, but I recall something about 40 or 45% and it you drop below 45% of your ideal BMI then you lose proper mental function. so in medical terms one would lose the capactiy to give consent.

Zella, you ask is what can be done right? - my answer is probably, if the course of action has been decided by all those involved and the thoughts and views of the patient are also considered in this process.

the Department of Health has some useful information on consent

try here http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidance/HealthAndSocialCareTopics/Consent/ConsentFAQ/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4039322&chk=oDHcDp

and http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidance/HealthAndSocialCareTopics/Consent/ConsentGeneralInformation/fs/en
  • Options
    Good topic.

This is interesting because without consent, doctor's are limited in what they are legally allowed to do. Under common law, doctor's can provide emergency treatment, for example if a patient is unconscious and unable to consent. The Mental Health Act allows treatment of 'mentally disordered' patients, but only for their mental illness, not concomitant diseases.

In this case, refeeding may not necessarily be regarded as a treatment for the anorexia.

MoK points out that most people with anorexia nervosa are not determined to commit suicide, but suicide may be a possible consequence of their behaviour.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish

:eek2:

You're back!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    :eek2:

You're back!
    Indeed. Hello old boy :)

I have broadband at last. Expect regular posts from the Kentish Man :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Indeed. Hello old boy :)

I have broadband at last. Expect regular posts from the Kentish Man :D

:wave:

Are you and MoK gonna be arguing about Kent again?:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    I'm not sure if this will be considered to be on-topic, but have you actually read the oath? Pretty much every doctor alive has broken it, and legally too.

EDIT: you might disregard this comment. I had the traditional oath in mind, and I just found out there's a "modern version" which is a lot different than the old one.

No I haven't I just had to learn about it in an Eastern Medical Traditions course at university - however I am sure that for most doctors there would be more that they could do to help patients if they had the right funding and equpiment.....