Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Babies having babies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so... do you know many young people who have had children? I have no idea what a high pregnancy rate would be considered, but last night after finding out 2 more of my friends are pregnant, I got to thinking. I am 19... of girls my age, before we graduated highschool, I knew of 16 who either were pregnant or had a child. (There were about 300 total students in my graduating class) From then and now (about a year) 5 more babies. Now I know of at least 4 more who are pregnant. And those are just of the people I knew. I was at the bottem of the gossip chain, I'm afraid to think of who else there was that I didn't know about. I have to get out of this town quick before I have one. I don't even think you have to have sex here to get pregnant... its just some type of freak in the water.

[/pointless rant]

Comments

• Options
    You consider 19 a baby?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity
    You consider 19 a baby?

It's just a phrase Captian Obvious.

And yes, when it comes to child bearing ages, I do consider it so.
  • Options
    This hell hole of a city I live in has the biggest teenage pregancy rate in Europe.

Dunno why, to be honest. I'm not really in a position to judge.
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    It's just a phrase Captian Obvious.

And yes, when it comes to child bearing ages, I do consider it so.

I was just clearing it up as I could barely understand you. No need to try and get funny.

It's their choice. Care to explain how this affects you?
  • Options
    well.. my mommy was 22 when she had my older brother...... but she was also married... but then again she hates my father.... ages 18-25 are supposed to be the best years of your life.. it would suck if you had to be a parent through what are supposed to be the best years of your life
  • Options
    Well, my friend was 16 when she got pregnant, she's now 17 and 3 months off giving birth, in my opinion she's too young but it was her decision and I respect that and will support her as much as I can.
  • Options
    my brother became a dad at 17 and my exes brother is about to become a daddy at 20.

although my brothers then girlfriend only had the baby to get a house on the council but dont even start me on that rant!
  • Options
    my brother's girlfriend had a baby when he was 23, and she had just turned 21, and i thought that was too young.

my mental cousin is 19 and has just had a baby, but she has a mental age of about 11, so i guess it counts.

i have the utmost respect to any youngster who accidentally falls pregnant and then raises the child well. but i don't understand kids who plan to get pregnant. surely there's more of life to see before you get tied down?
  • Options
    well... my cousin had her daughter when she was 17, now she's 23... She is still a baby :x

Every year one girl I know keeps getting pregnant, she aborts all the time =( she is now 18 or 19...

Just this year, 3 friends of mine get pregnant (2 of them have the baby already) one of them is 17 the other 2 are 19
  • Options
    So out of interest do you guys consider us too young?
    I was 24 & he was 22 when i got pregnant.

I don't think we were/are too young at all.
  • Options
    i know of a girl how was raped at 13, became pregant, had the baby, brought it up, when on to get 11 GCSEs all A*- C, and the same in AS and A levels. she's now in the middle of her music jounalism course doing brilliantly. and her daughter is now 6, very intelegent, going to a really good school and doing really well. her parents were amazed that she kept her baby, and the fact that she's doing so amazingly well now. but i know thats a bit of an extreme story, but having a baby at a young age doesn't mean that they are gonna have a crap life. personaly, yes i think that anyone under 25 aren't usuly prepared enough mentaly to have a baby, and they still have so much living to do before tieing themselves down. but sometimes women only have one chance to have a baby, and if they become pregant before a surtain age, then if they want the baby all i can say is good luck to them. i wouldn't do it, but then again i wouldn't have a baby enless i could suport myself alone, and send the child to a public school- so it's very unlikely i'm ever gonna have kids :(
  • Options
    and they still have so much living to do before tieing themselves down

I don't agree, depends intirely on the person.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    Tweety I think it depends on the situation. you and Chris planned lil James so that was a big factor in it..

some people get pregnant at 24 under different circumstances (like by accident but I hate saying that) and it'd be their worst nightmare

Yeah i know, but i still think its not too young. I am not talking about the situation as that could be any age ect.

Not arguing just saying it how i see it.
  • Options
    Depends on what you plan with your life really.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    So out of interest do you guys consider us too young?
    I was 24 & he was 22 when i got pregnant.

by my standards, yes, a little, cause i still feel way too young to be a mum.

but you're not me. my brother's girlfriend is my age, her son is now 2 and a half, and she's a great mum, and she loves it. she's just more of a homely type person than i am. i guess i'll grow into it.

it depends on you, and how you are as a person.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    she's just more of a homely type person than i am. i guess i'll grow into it.

it depends on you, and how you are as a person.

Thats what i was trying to say earlier to someone else.

The way i see it by having children at my age it means you are still young enough to do things after they have grown up aswell.
    People seem to think that by having children means you can't have a life. you can it just changes.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Depends on what you plan with your life really.

Sure it does. Then its not like you can't do most things when thery are grown up.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    The way i see it by having children at my age it means you are still young enough to do things after they have grown up aswell.
    People seem to think that by having children means you can't have a life. you can it just changes.

to be honest, it's all that responsibility that scares me.

i'm still crap at managing my own life. i wouldn't even know where to start with a littler person i was entirely responsible for.
  • Options

i'm still crap at managing my own life. i wouldn't even know where to start with a littler person i was entirely responsible for.

hehe that scared feeling doesnt go away, you are always hoping you can get it right :/.
  • Options
    Everytime I call down to me local shopping centre, I'm always finding out such-in-such is pregnant. So I know quite alot of young mothers and fathers.

I would say some are mad. Like this girl who use to be my best mate. Same age as me (19). Starts seeing this lad (24) for a couple months. Then she started going on to me about how they are talking about having a baby as she always wanted to settle down. I cracked up with her and told her to wind her neck in and stop being a selfish cow. She still got pregnant. And yes they are still together after a year. But that's after him having a few flings. Hey, her life. *shrugs* Just not something I'd do.
  • Options
    One girl in my year at school got pregnant at fourteen, another three had babies when they were fifteen/sixteen (rumour suggests there were many, many more who didn't continue the pregnancies for whatever reason) and I know of at least three more that have fallen pregnant in the past year since we left school - one of which is a really good friend of mine, and I never thought for a second she'd end up in the situation she's in now, but she's happy.

Which I suppose is the important part, so long as whoever-it-is is happy with how their life is, then it's ok - it's their problem.

A girl from my AS psychology class had a baby when she was just seventeen. The baby was planned, and she's one of the happiest people I know. She's got a beautiful little girl, a committed partner, her own house, a good social life, and just got five As in her ASs, which I think proves that having a baby young doesn't need to 'ruin' your life.

Different strokes for different folks, at the end of the day.
  • Options
    It depends on how homely a person is, and what they have their life plan to be.

If t'missus fell pregnant we'd keep it, and we'd be very happy like that. Finances are the only thing stopping us, really.

Some people will always be too young to have children, and some people will be old aged 14. It depends on what you want.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I never heard of anyone at my school being pregnant. Of course, for many years I was pretty much a stranger to most of the people, but still the gossip would have found its way to me, I think.
  • Options
    I've heard of people that have gotten pregnant just after leaving our school but never actually experienced anyone being pregnant whilst still being there.

I personally don't plan on having children until I'm around 28-30, would rather live my life when I was young but thats just personal opinion and I realise not everyone views it this way.
  • Options
    quite a few of the girls at my school got pregnant but as it was a catholic school-maybe the school sgould have been forced to teach safe sex in the sex ed but they didnt-sfae sex was wrong-I mean all sex was wrong but the impression was that if they did it with condoms they wre sinning. I think its changed now as they have a new priest who is a alot more modern!

I think it was ineveitable which girls were gonna get up the duff at my school as all but one slet around and had a bad life, poor intelligence and poor self esteem-there was one exception but I'm sure we all know of one or two people who do really well at school despite having a kid.

I do think in my own opinion kids raising kids isn't good-but its a really a selfish reason as the kid who is raining the baby may regret it as they havne't lived their life with no reponsibilities.

As someone earlier in the thread said-I really respect the kid who raises a kid well and does a good job and still gets their own life sorted-but yeh, the ones who plan--or inadvertantly plan by not using contraception are the ones who annoy me!
  • Options
    Im 21 and I feel too young to have a child.
  • Options
    when people say they feel to young to have a baby, that fair enough, each to their own. I fell pregnant at 17 and had my boy less than a month after my 18th. he hasnt ruined my life at all, i ahve a different life but i don't feel like i aren't living, i just live differently. I still get to go for nights out and things like that, but dont you ever feel they dont satisfy? After a night out, the next day you aren't left with anything, except a whole in your purse. Bah i dunno where i'm goin with this, i think my situation is perfect, I have my son, at an age where I can be really active with him, and now i am going back to college and i still get 1 or 2 nights out each month plus my friend who is 18 has a son so i can be a mum but have the teenage thing at the same time(ie walking with our pushchairs gossiping!)

Ok you all prob think i'm common as muck now, well im not a chav, i dont fight, i dont sleep around(im with babies dad), i do mumsy stuff(playgroups etc)i arent in a council home i am in a housing asociation house which is lovely and i even make him his own babyfood as opposed to buying tins which arent very nutritious.

Ok so blowing my own trumpet now haha!

*suddenly realising my life is pretty damn good*

sorry if i have blown this topic out but ive just had a heeeuge thankful moment which i dont often have!

-Di-
  • Options

And it's exactly that feeling that ensures you ARE responsible and you DO do your best by them.