Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Chavs disguised as goths

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks for your replies everyone. I don't fit myself into a box either, I mostly listen to rock n' roll and I have a tattoo but I don't say I'm in a particular category. Sometimes I call myself a rock chick for a laugh but I don't take any of it seriously. I've got my own personality. I agree that once you give yourself a label you allow yourself to be stereotyped.

And rainbow brite, yes he is older than me but I have known him for three years, been with him for nearly 9 months and everyone including my mother are now okay with it.
  • Options
    *Is getting old*

What happened to people just being people? I don't even know what some of these terms mean!:crazyeyes
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG

but i will tolerate most music, i do like a lot of heavy stuff, but at least with ramstein [sp?] you can understand what is been said

Just made me laugh as they're german so if you don't know german you may not understand what has been said...anyways hehe I'm in a daft mood!

I am part of a goth site for my local area-I don't claim to be goth-I'm a rocker who wears what I like-not a young teen greebo or metaller etc but I do know a lot about the culture now and past. However all the friendly people on the site don't have a go at me as I don't claim to be goth! I do love the music and I attend a members only goth club night that tends to play 80s goth and more trad goth than ebm style. But according to my london pal (in the band antaia) london goth scene is more ebm than trad and the trad scene is dying!

The original point about them being like chavs-well yeh in a way I can agree with this point-I actually walked into my local shop (owned by goth pub people too) in work clothes and a bunch of minigoth metalheads laughed at me-lil knowing I was a major part of the adult goth scene they so long to be credible in! Our town (wolves) has always had alt kids hangin out-when I was a wee babby, when I was a teen and now as a miserable adult. They always congegrate-like chavs do in other parts of the town. Its always been the same!

I guess now it is even more popular to be into alt stuff and just with numetal scene being popular a couple of years ago, perhaps it is the turn of "nugoth" to be popular bringing with it all the hassles of a popular scene and followers of the crowd!

Great topic by the way was really interesting readin the replies to this!
  • Options
    maybe i should rephrase that, what they sing/say is what you hear

with other groups you cant honestly tell with all the screaming
  • Options
    Originally posted by swank
    my friends and I aren't really "goths" nor do we claim to be. But we're not "townies" either were about half way but leaning toward the goth side.
    We do skit the "townies" but were a lot less confrontational than they are, making jokes about them between ourselves instead of yelling abuse at them (like they do to us)
    I will strongly agree about the "cool" thing it pisses me off.
    In my group of friends we used to have a nice mix, but most of the boys skated, dressed "that way" listened to "that music" and a couple played guitar.
    I've been listening and dresing "like that" since y7/y8 (I'm entering y11 now). And I've been playing guitar sicne y5 on and off.

i aggre with this. most of my group grew up listening to nirvana and nin ect, and play some kind of instrament. we grew up with the reminance of the original gothic movement, yet none of us blatenly call ourselves "goths" as a title. we are ourselves. i listened to things like the cure and joy division/ new order since i was tiny, it's part of my life.
    Originally posted by swank

ANYWAY this one girl suddenly "decides" to turn goth blantently to get the lads attention (and it worked but not the lad she wanted!) then suddenly all the other girls are doing it to, trying to talk to me about music and borrow my cds to copy them etc... pisses me off incredibly.

one of my best friends has got involved with one of these girls and to be honest......it's awful, everyone else can see that she fake and slates everything he belives in and loves behind his back. she's a total fake and i hate what she's doing to him. he's gonna end up getting his heart broken.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG

but i will tolerate most music, i do like a lot of heavy stuff, but at least with ramstein [sp?] you can understand what is been said, slipknot sound alright in the odd track

unlike you, i don't speak fluent German.
    and whoever put that picture of the south park goth piss take stole my thunder
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG

you obviously cant read english either :P
  • Options
    i listen to mainly metal, from the 80s and newer stuff like machinehead and soulfly, but i can appreciate cheese and rnb, moreso when drunk, when anything osunds good, well apart from busted

and when people start saying "this isnt alt-emo its metal-emo" or something i know theyve lost plot as for them they seem ot care more for arguing than just enjoying what they like listening to

i wear hoodies and tshirts, mainly from gigs i go to and i like what i like, these days though i just dress plain, simply cause i wear what i find comfy and that doesnt look too bad, so that means jeans and tshirt

ive realised from experience and age, being 19. no matter what, that 99.99% of teenagers just want to belong to something rebellious, and well it lands up just being conformist

at school i was just me and wore whatever i found in me wardrobe
  • Options
    Re: Chavs disguised as goths
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    Or do all goths suck anyway?

Yes :p

Nah the fake pretendy ones do, but then they're not goths are they :crazyeyes Hmm.

Its all very annoying is this. Attitudes and the like. Can't understand it meself.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG

Lol have to agree with you on that-I can't sing along either to that sort of screaming-not that I ca sing anyway!
  • Options
    ahh finally someone understands my obsessive rambling, or at least appears to have got the point i was rying to get accross
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    and then theres some techno dance crap, some of its very good, but how origional can you be when you think of a 3sec riff and two words, chuck in a thumping bass, and you call that creative? as near creative as a mold infested bunion

why is it that all people not into dance music call it techno? you get shite music in every genre but just cos it ain't to your taste doesn't mean it's crap :rolleyes:

i've just always found it amusing how in the alternative scene people all wear the same sort of clothes and all rebel against the same things and all have the same opinions on something but can't say why.

e.g. that capitalism is shit (when they're wearing huge amounts of expensive shit from places like hot topic and wearing £150 new rock boots).

looking back about 5-6 years ago i was your stereotypical angsty nu-metal kid, not that i did it on purpose, just happens my tastes meant i looked and liked what your avaerage mini-mosher used to like.
  • Options
    when do people grow out of being goths/townies and become real individuals?
  • Options
    what i don't get is why people see what other people are into as jsut a phase? if people like something then fine thats their taste, but they should be respected as a person, not for what they like. my problem with the "stereotypical" townie, is the fact that they seem to have no respect for anyone, have no aim, no goals, they just seem to aimlessly wonder though life, just looking for their next high/fuck....but i think this can really go for any person, regardless of what music they like or wha clothes they wear.
  • Options
    Originally posted by twisted_trinity
    what i don't get is why people see what other people are into as jsut a phase?

Because people grow out of phases. I can honestly say I've never seen an adult (and by adult, we're not talking about, hey, I'm 18 I'm an adult, more like a mature, grown up adult like person) who is "goth" or anything of the such. If you're 30 and still dressing like a goth, then I guess maybe it wasn't a phase... and maybe some professional help would be of order.
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    If you're 30 and still dressing like a goth, then I guess maybe it wasn't a phase... and maybe some professional help would be of order.

Had a good chuckle at that one.

I've been thinking on this and i'm afraid i can't think of one person round here that seems like a true goth used to be. The kids i know who go round claiming they are goths and walking round all miserable and mean are the kids who are geeky shy kids who are obviously desperate to fit in with a group and they find it easier to fit in with a gothic type group.

I'm not saying it's wrong to be like this, fuck, we've all tried to fit in somewhere at some point, i'm just saying i feel a little sorry for the kids that feel they have to typecast themselves this way as half of them don't understand the meaning of being a goth.
  • Options
    I think what's happened is that the 80's gothic culture - siouxie, bauhaus etc has been 'idolised' and turned into a trend by the fashion industry - such as the 'tammygirl' employing PunkyFish to do their dirty work. I think kids are buying into the fashions, the music etc, because they like it, not because they want to be a part of a so called 'goth culture'. I don't think there is one when you look at the 14yr old 'goths' wearing KoRn Hoodies and black lipstick. They're just wearing what they can find in the local shops and listening to whats being played.
    80's culture means more to the people who experienced it at the time rather than the 14yr olds who are getting it back round the 2nd time.

I mean, personally I don't give a shit if people call me a goth... all I care is that I know who I am and what I like. I don't buy my 'goth attire' from Hot Topic or Black Rose in Camden, I find styles I like from wherever I can and wear them myself. I personally can't stand the attitude of the 'goth' kids, the stereotyping and labelling, but it is part of life now.

There is a definite line between romantic 80's goth and todays 'goth'. It's just that it's now more of a fashion that it was the first time round...

Ilora x
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    There is a timeline of gothic culture, starting from the 5th C, on this page if anyone is interested....
  • Options
    That as an interesting read!

Ilora-alot of my friends at the goth club actually make their own clothes or get them made to measure-tis expensive but they don't do the omen tops and hot topic clothes like the younger goth wannabees. My mates who make their clothes are students who can't afford stuff anyway! They are very talented and their clothes are so individual and not mass goth marketed!

I do wear omen slogan vests with jeans though as they are quite funky! Then again I'm just a rocker, not a goth!

I see alot of the kids at the rock club who are wearing topshop chic goth clothes its quite amusing as I know they are in topshop gear as I often go in there myself-yet they pretend to be all original!
  • Options
    Goth was never more than a fashion anyway. It wasnt a statement in the same way as punk was.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    Goth was never more than a fashion anyway. It wasnt a statement in the same way as punk was.

:yes:
  • Options
    was.

Good choice of words. Nothing seems to be heart felt anymore. Just a trend. (not that I was actually alive for it, but still...)
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    but at least with ramstein [sp?] you can understand what is been said

I don't know about anyone else, but I can't understand a word they say. :p (Epic band though).

Round us I wouldn't say we have any propa goths, just kids who dress in black who like to think they are and give the older people something to stare at, and not many of them at that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ants
    I don't know about anyone else, but I can't understand a word they say. :p (Epic band though).

I can, I worked out they say Du Hast, du hast mich.
    *is clever*
  • Options
    *gives rainbow her gcse in german!* hehe!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Maladjusted
    e.g. that capitalism is shit (when they're wearing huge amounts of expensive shit from places like hot topic and wearing £150 new rock boots).
    I don't think capitalism is shit. In fact I'm a member of the conservative party.

I'm also pro-monarchy. I think big castles/kings/horse-drawn carriages are gothic, therefore monarchy is a good thing. (But leave that issue for the politics board).
  • Options
    Originally posted by Carolina
    The kids i know who go round claiming they are goths and walking round all miserable and mean are the kids who are geeky shy kids who are obviously desperate to fit in with a group and they find it easier to fit in with a gothic type group.
    That'll be me, then. I'm shy and geeky.
  • Options
    I can, I worked out they say Du Hast, du hast mich.
    *is clever*
    Or, in English 'You Hate, You Hate Me' ;)

Ilora x
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    Or, in English 'You Hate, You Hate Me' ;)

Ilora x
    well yes, but they didnt bring out an english version/
  • Options
    I have the english version...:p

Ilora x