Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

'anti social' behaviour

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    when i was a kid you play football ...cricket ...whatever in the street.
    not now as both sides of every street are lined with a bazillion quids worth of shiny motors!

Thats a good point - I certainly enjoyed a lot more freedom as a child, than I am offer to afford my child.

The world has changed in many ways, its a lot more " me, me, me", there seems to be less "community" - more fragmentation, and less innocence on offer.........

But in others ways its stayed the same, and its just represented differently - so that things which weren't biggies a few decades ago are capital offenses now.
  • Options
    so that things which weren't biggies a few decades ago are capital offenses now

and vive-versa

i stepped out this am and saw a boy 10?walking along chatting on his mobile

spoilt to fuck kids now

lazy parents or maybe too scarted to butt in on kids' peer-groups

Why shouldn't pre-pubescent children be ASBO'd if their behaivour warrants it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by slade
    and vive-versa

lazy parents
    not always true.
    again when i was a kid ...in the black and white days ...mums rarely worked.
    today both parents have to work long hours just to keep up.
    so much for the invention of labour saving devices.
  • Options

Why shouldn't pre-pubescent children be ASBO'd if their behaivour warrants it?

I'm really not sure that apparently "out of control" bairns are capable of making an informed assessment of the consequences of a breach. In my humble opinion, what is needed is some in-depth work with the family to discover why these problems are happening, and to find constructive ways forward.

But that would take time, money and resources - its cheaper and simpler to go down the legal route - if they breach the orders, what do you think should happen to them?

:confused:
  • Options
    if they breach the orders, what do you think should happen to them?

borstal
  • Options
    borstal

£2 500 per week (each) to the taxpayer, and guaranteed worse when they come out........

:)
  • Options
    borstal
    i did borstal ...absolutely brilliant time.
    highly recomended.
  • Options
    £2 500 per week (each) to the taxpayer

Quick with that fig, werncha?

It needn't cost that, mind:D

You prefer an army of graduate flunkies running round council estates etc after them getting nowhere?
  • Options
    whatever way you deal with them costs money.

i prefer the asbos, at least that's tryin to address the behavioural issue. if you try to address the boredom issue- ie building more parks, or more leisure centres etc etc, these just get ruined by the people that need to be served with asbos. so it's just a waste of money anyway.

btw- i'm not a regular, i've just not pissed people off here enough to be called a n00b.

and with all your "lets return to the issue at hand" after the wee interpersonal jibes and arguements, you sound like the last monocrat personality- confuciooos or whatever he called himself that time.
  • Options
    Quick with that fig, werncha?

It needn't cost that, mind:D

You prefer an army of graduate flunkies running round council estates etc after them getting nowhere?

Not really, but as most of the population of this country seems happy to stick with the 'society' we've got now, its preferable to turning wee kids into big thugs ..........
    i prefer the asbos, at least that's tryin to address the behavioural issue

How is it "dealing with the behavioural issue" - the underlying causes are not addressed and, at best, all it will do is repress the behaviour. If the underlying cause isn't dealt with, then it'll come out in some other way.

One thing that I don't think happens enough is testing kids for food allergies - cos some of the behavioural problems are caused by the shit that kids eat. ;)
    you sound like the last monocrat personality-

Excellent! I know that eternalsunshine is having the same accusation flung at him/her ...... whoever this "moronacrat" character is, s/he obvioulsly was a highly succesful troll who has managed to induce a fair amount of paranoioa on these here boards.
  • Options
    Originally posted by freethepeeps

One thing that I don't think happens enough is testing kids for food allergies - cos some of the behavioural problems are caused by the shit that kids eat. ;)

true ...more and more kids are suffering from the industrial waste we lavour and fizz up for them to consume.
    what realy pisses me off is all this is proven ...yet these companies carry on selling the shite ...and governments allow it.
    it realy doesn't need to be like this.
    the companies could all sell good stuff and still make money.
    macd's are a case in point ...through public pressure and sales going down they have had to rethink ...how well they have re thunk i know not as i never go near the place.
  • Options
    I certainly enjoyed a lot more freedom as a child, than I am offer to afford my child.
    This is the point! Why to blame Society, Govt, Civilisation, Computers, Cars, Terrorism, Global Warming, Cheeseburgers, Drugs, PlayStations, Stupid Teachers, Hip-Hop, Mortgages, Martians if parents don’t want kids to be independent … If one says My 11 y.o. boy is a man! It is one thing but if he says My 20-y.o. baby is just a baby- what can help such a baby-parent better than a good guillotine?
  • Options
    Originally posted by LabRat
    This is the point! Why to blame Society, Govt, Civilisation, Computers, Cars, Terrorism, Global Warming, Cheeseburgers, Drugs, PlayStations, Stupid Teachers, Hip-Hop, Mortgages, Martians if parents don’t want kids to be independent … If one says My 11 y.o. boy is a man! It is one thing but if he says My 20-y.o. baby is just a baby- what can help such a baby-parent better than a good guillotine?
    did any of that make any sense to anyone?
  • Options
    did any of that make any sense to anyone?

:no: no...
  • Options
    You are right of course, it is all to do with boredom. However there are a few problems with this.

I work in 4 small sized towns (populations of 4000 each).
    All 4 have a fifty fifty mix of council housing and private housing. They each have several schools, a leisure centre, football fields e.t.c. What you can expect from a rural town typically.

Each town does have problems with kids hanging around, making nuisances of themselves, doing what kids do really. I spend my time in these towns running around telling them to behave but just generally being keeping an eye on things. You get the odd group out drinking, but they rarely cause problems.

The fourth town though is like Beirut, and we can't figure out why. The kids there instead of just hanging around set fires, steal cars, set off fireworks at people's houses, throw stones at moving vehicles, that sort of thing. One guy even had dog shit thrown at his house.
    Its got so bad we spend most of our time in this one area, constantly moving the kids on, arresting them, enforcing a curfew e.t.c.
    They all say it's because they are bored, they'res nowhere to go e.t.c. But there's no less than the other towns, where nothing ever happens.

Yes, some anti-social behaviour can be attributed to lack of activities, or some hardcore arseholes. However in most cases the blame lands squarely on that of the parents. They let them out late at night, don't question what they're upto, and refuse to believe us when we inform Mrs Biggins that her precious son has just slashed a police car's tyres.
    I've had parents moan at me because they can't see the harm in letting their 12 year old drink who incidentally is an alcoholic, or allowing their son to ride a petrol moped through a busy shopping precinct.

In conclusion, it isn't just about boredom, and it isn't about deprivation either.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    However in most cases the blame lands squarely on that of the parents.

Statistically, the odds of all the 'bad' parents living in 1 of 4 towns must be ridiculously high.

Peer groups can have more influence than parents - and the schools play a part too.

Having a bunch of cops on your back all the time doesn't half make you play up too................

:cool:
  • Options
    I reckon that it's society's fault
  • Options
    why?
  • Options
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo
    why?
    Because there is no such thing as society...that's what I was told :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by eternalsunshine
    Because there is no such thing as society...that's what I was told :confused:
    so you reckon it's the fault of something you don't think exists ...
  • Options
    Ok, totally convinced that not only are eternalsunshine and freethepeeps the same person, but that they're both moronocrat.
  • Options
    Yes
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Ok, totally convinced that not only are eternalsunshine and freethepeeps the same person, but that they're both moronocrat.

Shall we get the mods in?

Your paranoioa is wearing me down.

:(
  • Options
    She said that society doesn't exist...and I think that I've loved her ever since she made that statement

Is she dead yet?
  • Options

You don't think that it can be argued that a lack o0f something leads to problems?

• Options
    You don't think that it can be argued that a lack o0f something leads to problems?

yes but thats not the way it was said .
  • Options
    Statistically, the odds of all the 'bad' parents living in 1 of 4 towns must be ridiculously high.

Peer groups can have more influence than parents - and the schools play a part too.

Having a bunch of cops on your back all the time doesn't half make you play up too................

:cool:

But it seems to be the case.
    Or there is something in this one town that makes the kids commit acts of mindless vandalism and violence.
    Like I said, in the other 3 towns the kids act like kids. They hang around, some of them sneak to the play parks for a drink, some don't.
    They don't hang around smashing stuff up, and they all seem to accept that if they don't behave reasonably one of us will turn up, tell them off, take their booze and leave again.
    The kids in the one town act as if the police don't exist, and can't care less that if they get a criminal record it will affect them later on in life.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    But it seems to be the case.
    Or there is something in this one town that makes the kids commit acts of mindless vandalism and violence.
    Like I said, in the other 3 towns the kids act like kids. They hang around, some of them sneak to the play parks for a drink, some don't.
    They don't hang around smashing stuff up, and they all seem to accept that if they don't behave reasonably one of us will turn up, tell them off, take their booze and leave again.
    The kids in the one town act as if the police don't exist, and can't care less that if they get a criminal record it will affect them later on in life.
    bulldoze that town mate ...israeli style.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Oooh lets get ready to rumble :)
    Are ya gonna tell me to shut up again for the sixth time Fiend? If anybody needs investigated, I reckon that you should be prime candidate number 1 here

Get a grip dear sir!
  • Options
    yes but thats not the way it was said .

Fair enough - its how I read it though.

Maybe eternalsunshine will elaborate ..............