Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

'anti social' behaviour

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i swear the biggest cause of it is......

boredom

am i right or am i right, other than the twats who will never stop being troublemakers

Comments

• Options
    Re: 'anti social' behaviour
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    i swear the biggest cause of it is......

boredom

am i right or am i right, other than the twats who will never stop being troublemakers

You are right. What do you suggest?
  • Options
    well noone lets their kids out to play football or anything anymore, and do things to keep busy, like theres no youth clubs or anything, young adults have bars clubs etc what do have for 13-17 year olds - drugs, cheap cider, sex, park benches
  • Options
    well noone lets their kids out to play football or anything anymore, and do things to keep busy, like theres no youth clubs or anything, young adults have bars clubs etc what do have for 13-17 year olds - drugs, cheap cider, sex, park benches

There are plenty of activities really. Scout/guides, joining a debating society, joining school sports teams, taking up a hobby like music, horse riding, swimming. Etc the list goes on and on, it's just not cool anymore is it?
  • Options
    Yeah, there's bucket loads of stuff for kids to do. They choose to hang around in play parks smashing stuff up.
    I swear, the town I work in swarms with amenities for teenagers. Youthclub, leisure centre, skate park e.t.c.
    None of them fucking use it, they seem to enjoy keeping us company, which is nice haha.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    There are plenty of activities really. Scout/guides, joining a debating society, joining school sports teams, taking up a hobby like music, horse riding, swimming. Etc the list goes on and on, it's just not cool anymore is it?

horseiriding where are you from :p

where i live theres the leisure centre, and shops and erm thats about it and then people wonder why kids resort to vandalising buildings and drugs round here (in east london)

when i was 15 there wa salwys loads of us down park playing football, and well if there was any troublemakers at park there was more than enough of us to stop them doing anything major - peer pressure it called i believe

nowadays its just school dropouts gettin pissed and stoned and destorying what buidling are left
  • Options
    Somtimes there is no escape for some. Try living in a lower class background and you'll find out.
  • Options
    horseiriding where are you from :p

where i live theres the leisure centre, and shops and erm thats about it and then people wonder why kids resort to vandalising buildings and drugs round here (in east london)

when i was 15 there wa salwys loads of us down park playing football, and well if there was any troublemakers at park there was more than enough of us to stop them doing anything major - peer pressure it called i believe

nowadays its just school dropouts gettin pissed and stoned and destorying what buidling are left

I live close the the countryside hense the horse-riding, tally ho old boy!

But I don't really think liveing in a town pop 60,000 is any different that living in a borough of London, at least on some levels. The kids are still bored shittless, and are too lazy, too stupid, or too 'cool' to take up some of the activities that are actually available.

Perhaps we should be addressing the idea of school drop-outs as well, a better education can only help matters.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Groovaybaby
    Well the kids here vandelised the youth center till it was borded up and now today it went on fire - pretty badly.

but it werent the majority of kids was it, just a couple of twats probably, they should be made to help redesign it in community service i say
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    Somtimes there is no escape for some. Try living in a lower class background and you'll find out.

Reguardless of class or background, we still have the ability to choose our own actions.

I've been terrorised by teenagers who used to live in the same village as me, they weren't lower class in the least, just wankers.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Reguardless of class or background, we still have the ability to choose our own actions.

I've been terrorised by teenagers who used to live in the same village as me, they weren't lower class in the least, just wankers.

Wankers are really where the problem lies.
  • Options
    You say people don't let their kids out to play football and stuff anymore? Rubbish! Half the time they think their kids are going out to do stuff like that when really they're hanging around parks drinking.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat

theres always been a % of population who are wankers you cant say that has increased,
  • Options
    theres always been a % of population who are wankers you cant say that has increased,

So why is it that we are noticing wankers more?
  • Options
    well normally wankers wuld be put of by people reporting ie seeing them vandalising building, but considering noone goes out nemore other than them, theyre more wiling to do it :P
  • Options
    well normally wankers wuld be put of by people reporting ie seeing them vandalising building, but considering noone goes out nemore other than them, theyre more wiling to do it :P

Hmm, perhaps. So other than armed militias roaming the streets, are there any solutions to the wanker problem?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    Yeah, there's bucket loads of stuff for kids to do. They choose to hang around in play parks smashing stuff up.
    I swear, the town I work in swarms with amenities for teenagers. Youthclub, leisure centre, skate park e.t.c.
    None of them fucking use it, they seem to enjoy keeping us company, which is nice haha.

I agree that theres lots for young uns to do, but and theres always a but......it costs too much for them to do activities. You take the average family with 2 kids and work out for yourself how much it costs the parents to send them to different activities.
  • Options
    wheresmyplacebo i totally agree with you about the whole brdom thing. in my area there is nothing for the younger age groups to do apart from bownies and guides and stuff like taht but that isnt everyones taste. my dad is a policeman who works with the youth and he sed that he once got this lady ringing up about teens hanging outside her house doing drugs. she filmed it took it down to the police station and it turned out that it was smarties. its old people moaning about us aswell that gives us a bad name. and now theres a law that if two or more young people are standing inthe streets that they get put on this anti social behavior list thing i mean wot the fuck is that all about.

WE are the Future Give us a chance
  • Options
    I really liked the "wanker theory" :rolleyes:

ASBOs are going to be a great way of increasing our increasingly privatised prison population.

Some of them are amazing:

Hows about the kid banned from saying the word Grass, in England, until 2010?

And theres the bloke who has been banned "from being sarcastic" ......

Its manna from heaven for Councils, instead of providing services, they can just deal with the problems of bored, disaffected youth and other unfortunates by applying for an ASBO, which is "just a civil matter" - although a breach becomes a criminal matter and can lead to a prison sentence of up to 5 years.

Anyways, back to the "wanker theory"

Children bear the brunt of "anti-social behaviour" measures

Its all part of creating hysteria so they can "divide and rule", innit?
  • Options
    Dude, thread, Dead. Where the bloody hell did this come from?
  • Options
    Dude, thread, Dead. Where the bloody hell did this come from?

Hi fiend - yesterday you complained that a new thread was started on an existing topic

Today you're complaining that an old thread has been revived.

Consistency isn't your strongest point, is it?

:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by freethepeeps
    Hi fiend - yesterday you complained that a new thread was started on an existing topic

Today you're complaining that an old thread has been revived.

Consistency isn't your strongest point, is it?

Both are in the boards guide. My problem is with pointless threads. Have you got something new to say? Then by all means start a new thread, if not leave it.
  • Options
    Both are in the boards guide. My problem is with pointless threads. Have you got something new to say? Then by all means start a new thread, if not leave it.

Unable to engage satisfactorily with the theory that there are "more wankers around", and that they could 'riding horses', and thinking that ASBOs pose a real threat to civil liberties, I introduced the issue of ASBOs to the thread.

I hope thats alright with you?

Would you like me to PM you all my posts for your approval in future?

• Options
    Read the boards guide.
  • Options
    You haven't brought anything new to say, freethepeeps. and you've not even kept in topic with the thread- the topic was why are people doing things that causes them to be served with ASBOs.

by the way, on your link, i didn't even get down to the part about the Grass bit- i've just gone through about 20 articles about people who are menaces to society, who just make peoples lives miserable. their offences shouldn't land them in jail, but their behaviour should be rectified.
  • Options
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo
    You haven't brought anything new to say, freethepeeps. and you've not even kept in topic with the thread- the topic was why are people doing things that causes them to be served with ASBOs.

by the way, on your link, i didn't even get down to the part about the Grass bit- i've just gone through about 20 articles about people who are menaces to society, who just make peoples lives miserable. their offences shouldn't land them in jail, but their behaviour should be rectified.

Yup, I had problems linking to the actual article - cos the Guardian is down - luckily its up again - so better link - sorry about that, but I don't have any control over the Guardian's servers.
    Originally posted by Friend_85Read the boards guide.

Excellent idea - here's the relevant passage:
    As a general rule, anything over a couple of months old can be considered ‘dead’ and is best being left in its grave

And the date of the last post was 24-08-2004 01:22 PM, which I think you'll find is under a couple of months.

Why is your behaviour so anti-social Fiend?

It might help us deal with the "core question" as defined by QMR!

And, I don't see the point of discussing why a kid says "Grass" or how that gets to be "anti-social behaviour", or how being sarcastic can warrant an ASBO either. So, I think we have to consider what ASBOs are, what role they serve and how they are applied if we are going to examine the issue in a slightly more intelligent way than declaring an unprecendented rise in non-horse-riding "wankers" .........

BTW - I reckon this
    they can just deal with the problems of bored, disaffected youth and other unfortunates

addresses this
    why are people doing things that causes them to be served with ASBOs

If I could be so bold as to make a suggestion, why don't we stick to intelligent debate and stop with the "anti-social behaviour" - I left kindergarten a long time ago, and I get a wee bit spikey when I get patronised and picked on by "teachers"

• Options
    freethepeeps
    they can just deal with the problems of bored, disaffected youth and other unfortunates by applying for an ASBO

'a bored person is boring'

the true unfortunates are those subject to the unpleasant behaivour from youth

disaffected - tough

instead of the 50% going to Uni target, it should have been 50% going to borstal
  • Options
    Originally posted by slade

instead of the 50% going to Uni target, it should have been 50% going to borstal

Hurrah!!!

That would certainly make the world a better place.......

If you have a little think about it, you might decide the comment was a little "reactionary" - others certainly will think that.

• Options
    Originally posted by freethepeeps

If I could be so bold as to make a suggestion, why don't we stick to intelligent debate and stop with the "anti-social behaviour" - I left kindergarten a long time ago, and I get a wee bit spikey when I get patronised and picked on by "teachers"

if you post like a kindergartener, you get treated like a kindergartner. when you don't, you don't. simple as.

i don't think the fact that it was 5 days under the two month guide matters. it was an old, dead post.

the point of doing a search is to see if what you want to post or to learn about has already been said. if it has, you read that thread, and learn from what people have said. if you then have something new to say- a totally different tangent- you make a new post. if not, you've read the old debate, you leave it as that and don't bring up old posts.

you'll have noticed that people have been complaining about the repetitiveness of the israel-palestine threads, or the iraq threads.
  • Options
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo
    i don't think the fact that it was 5 days under the two month guide matters. it was an old, dead post.

Well, it looks like its a win/win situation for regulars, and a lose/lose for noobies.

But, I won't let that deter me - although I'd prefer to discuss the topic than have pointless debates about etiquette and semantics

you'll have noticed that people have been complaining about the repetitiveness of the israel-palestine threads, or the iraq threads.

If I might be so bold, there is no indication whatsover that people have really thought through the issues through.

Now, if I'm bored with a topic, or I don't care about, I don't engage with it - and, I'd hate to think that people really are bored with a story about a 13year old girl being riddled with 20 bullets, by the world's self-proclaimed "most moral army", and the investigation finding that no-one did anything wrong.

Anyways, all this "point of order" stuff just seems to detract from the issue, so shall we return to the issue of anti-social behaviour?

An ASBO has been served on 2 brothers aged 10 and 11

Do you think this is the most constructive way to deal with pre-pubescent children, or are there perhaps more creative and personalised ways in which they could be engaged?

Or perhaps they're just "wankers" ?
  • Options
    when i was a kid you play football ...cricket ...whatever in the street.
    not now as both sides of every street are lined with a bazillion quids worth of shiny motors!