Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Suicide: Selfish?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    What is selfish is a matter of perspective, it's not an absolute.

It's been generally agreed on this thread that the suicidal person is not in full possesion of their mental abilities, and, asuming the perspective of the person in question is what you are talking about, can it really be considered a valid perspective?

It's like asking a schizophrenic which reality is real, they're not qualified, by the nature of their illness, to answer. Not through any fault of their own, but still not qualified
  • Options
    Yes, it is a valid perspective. Selfishness is not an objective reality in the way that sane people can differentiate a schizophrenic's view from a "normal" view.
  • Options
    Yes, it is a valid perspective. Selfishness is not an objective reality in the way that sane people can differentiate a schizophrenic's view from a "normal" view.

Do you, in your view, consider suicide not to be a selfish/easy way out of the problem? Bearing in mind the aftermath, and suicidal person's mental state.
  • Options
    I don't think making a value judgement like "selfish" is very helpful.
  • Options
    I don't think making a value judgement like "selfish" are very helpful.

Being helpful isn't in question. I know when to keep my thoughts to myself, for example when talking to my friend with acute depression. At the fore-front of my mind is making her feel worthwhile, and keeping her occupied. Not telling her how pissed off and upset I'd be if she topped herself.

Do you think suicide is the selfish or easy way out of the problems these people are facing?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Do you think suicide is the selfish or easy way out of the problems these people are facing?

Not really a valid question. I don't consider it selfish or otherwise. Just really fucking tragic. Depression is an illness. To make a value judgement about illness is not right IMO.
  • Options
    Not really a valid question. I don't consider it selfish or otherwise. Just really fucking tragic. Depression is an illness. To make a value judgement about illness is not right IMO.

I don't think the illness is in question either, I agree that it's tragic that people really can't see another way out.

But people don't commit suicide soley because they've been depressed for months, in the same way that not all people suffer from depression.

Separating the action from the illness. Still just tragic? or selfish as well?
  • Options
    As I said - it's a matter of perspective. I will not condemn anyone for committing suicide.
  • Options
    It's a very tough question.

Those left behind see it as selfish- s/he left me here with nothing, and didn't even care what I thought about him/her. This viewpoint has a lot of merit.

For many depressives they assume nobody cares about them anyway, so it isn't selfish to them as they don't assume anyone would give a crap. Which is why they do it.

I'm not sure- I think people who actually have the guts or the desperation to kill themselves are very brave, far braver than I, but many people disagree and don't think it is bravery but cowardice.

Unless you've been there it's so hard to explain it very well. When you're that desperate it's not a matter of it being "easy", it's the only way out- for many it feels like the soul has died, and they are just waiting for the body to catch up.
  • Options
    What about Euthanasia?

Although it isn't "exactly" suicide it's the ultimate act of compassion for the family they leave behind.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Braineater
    What about Euthanasia?

Although it isn't "exactly" suicide it's the ultimate act of compassion for the family they leave behind.

That's more bringing-forward and inevitable date of death and when nothing else, in anyone's perspective, can be done, said person, will lie there and die. There's a song quote I like (here below) I never understood it when I was much younger, I swam into focus about 10 years ago.
    I love you, I'll kill you

I never considered euthinasia as suicide, more compasionate murder.

Originally posted by Braineater
    As I said - it's a matter of perspective. I will not condemn anyone for committing suicide.

It's not a matter of condemnation, human's can generally feel more than one emotion at a time, and look at a situation subjectivly in the same moment.
  • Options
    People with severe depression are not thinking rationally. So I think they can be excused for maybe being a tad selfish.

I agree... when you're not in the right mind then you don't realise what effect your actions will have on others... -sigh- I know this all too well.
  • Options
    I do think it is quite a selfish action, because I can't say I can think of a case where someone would commit suicide in order to help someone else - therefore they are doing it soley for themselves. Saying that it is awful that people can truely feel that there is no way out, when most of the time there *is* a soultion and things *can* get better, even if they have to go through some bad times first. The happiest people in the world could be the ones who have lost everything, but have the chance to start again without being persued by their old problems.

I've actually done a study of suicide since Ancient Greek times, it was quite interesting to find out about it all. For a lot of people it does seem to be the easy way out, because once they have made the decision to do it they have something to focus on, a secret that keeps them going and a solution to all their problems.

Al Alverez - The Savage God is a good book to read if you are really interested in the issue.
  • Options
    Never been severely depressed have you?
  • Options
    No, which is why I said it is awful that people can truely feel that there is no way out when if they weren't suffering from depression they may be able to see things differently.
  • Options
    When someone throws themselves infront of a train, for example, the consequences of their actions are far reaching, not just for the family and friends of those left behind. The train driver will need counselling, obviously, and most probably not feel like driving a train again. And the people on the train don't really like seeing peices of body splattered over the windows. Oh, and it makes the staff late for meeting their friends for coffee. ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    When someone throws themselves infront of a train, for example, the consequences of their actions are far reaching, not just for the family and friends of those left behind. The train driver will need counselling, obviously, and most probably not feel like driving a train again. And the people on the train don't really like seeing peices of body splattered over the windows. Oh, and it makes the staff late for meeting their friends for coffee. ;)

Well quite. Suicide isn't a simple easy subject. It needs to be carefully disected and each section discussed, even then not everyone will agree on the overall opinion.

BumbleBee has highlighted how it's not just family and friends that are left to clear up. The method of death can have wide-reaching repercussions.