Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Suicide: Selfish?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A lot of people say suicide is a selfish act, is it? I don't have an opinion on the matter as such. I don't think it can be called a selfish act. That's about it.

Comments

• Options
    I can understand why people consider it a selfish act.

Sucides leave such destruction behind them. Others are left to pick up the pieces of their lives, and guilt. And the person who's commited suicide has been cowardly enough just to run away instead of dealing with the problem.

Arguements like the above are common.
  • Options
    How can suicide be seen as running away? It's such a last resort. Even the thought of taking away your own life gives a whole new meaning to the word desperation.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Capacity
    How can suicide be seen as running away?

Because it's seen as an easier route to take - otherwise people wouldn't do it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    Because it's seen as an easier route to take - otherwise people wouldn't do it.

Lies. You honestly think that killing yourself is easy? Compared to alternative routes, which I imagine would be counseling and tablets, suicide sounds like the hardest thing in the world. What about all the people who just can't get 'cured' or are so sick of life they don't want to get cured? To imply that they are cowards for taking the 'easy route' out is shameful.
  • Options
    Lies. You honestly think that killing yourself is easy? Compared to alternative routes, which I imagine would be counseling and tablets, suicide sounds like the hardest thing in the world. What about all the people who just can't get 'cured' or are so sick of life they don't want to get cured? To imply that they are cowards for taking the 'easy route' out is shameful.

It's always looked like the easy route to me. Councilling isn't easy I speak frome experience.

What about that father who commited suicide last year because of the vast debt he'd run up on credit cards. He left his grieving family to cope with the debt he'd stupidly run up, instead of staying to work it off. If I remember rightly the banks were generous enough to write it off on compasionate reasons, but I doubt this father commited suicide on that basis.
  • Options
    even if it isnt as helpful as one might want it to be or expect it to be, im always sympathetic if someone at least tries

if they end it all, i have sympathy with the people who are left behind to deal with it, but not the person who just ended it
  • Options
    So, is it right to say that suicide can be a selfish act depending on the circumstaces? Or is it always selfish? Where would you draw the line if it was dependant upon the situation?
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    i may well try it in the future... but i won't be leaving anything behinde like debt so thats good. my family don't give a crap about me anyway so they won't be bothered.

I doubt very much that your family won't be bothered if you commited suicide, however much they seem not to care about you.
  • Options
    if they end it all, i have sympathy with the people who are left behind to deal with it, but not the person who just ended it

That sounds like a grudge against the person for causing such an effect on everything he's left behind, and by not being able to let them know how much they've pissed you off you try and satisfy the urge by saying you have no sympathy for them. The reason I think this is because I don't see how you can have no sympathy for a person who has been driven to such a point. Even if they did bring it upon themselves. Don't know.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    I doubt very much that your family won't be bothered if you commited suicide, however much they seem not to care about you.

Comments like his divert the topic.
  • Options
    I've said it about self-harm but I think that suicide is selfish in the purest sense of the word.

What I mean by that is that I think the person who takes their own life does so for their own reasons without stopping to wonder about how much they may be hurting the people they leave behind. That's a different sort of selfish to doing something in the full and certain knowledge that you're hurting people you care about. Does that make sense?
  • Options
    Slightly. But who thinks about other people when they're considering suicide? Who even thinks about other people when they're depressed? For some people there is just no other way out. You may disagree, but they make it so that there is no other way out.
  • Options
    Slightly. But who thinks about other people when they're considering suicide? Who even thinks about other people when they're depressed? For some people there is just no other way out. You may disagree, but they make it so that there is no other way out.

Not thinking about others is exactly what being selfish is. It's not necesserily in question whether they need help or not.
  • Options
    People with severe depression are not thinking rationally. So I think they can be excused for maybe being a tad selfish.
  • Options
    Re: Suicide: Selfish?
    A lot of people say suicide is a selfish act, is it? I don't have an opinion on the matter as such. I don't think it can be called a selfish act. That's about it.
    It is and it isnt. The loved ones would say it is, the person doing it wouldnt. Selfishness can be good and it can be bad. If I was so depressed I had to end it, I wouldnt be feeling selfish but someone like my mum might think that in moments of anger. So its either way really.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I think it is. You're "solving" your problems (not solving really) and you're creating problems for a whole lot of other people. If you didn't think about that it's still selfish, though not as much as if you had thought about it and didn't care. The only instance I can think of in which it wouldn't be selfish would be if nobody knew you existed or all who did wanted you dead already.
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    People with severe depression are not thinking rationally. So I think they can be excused for maybe being a tad selfish.
    Certainly. But excusable or not, it's still selfish.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    Certainly. But excusable or not, it's still selfish.

Maybe not from their point of view.
  • Options
    Maybe not from their point of view.
    I think I'll answer with that:
    People with severe depression are not thinking rationally.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    I think I'll answer with that:

Yes, that's my point.
  • Options
    Yes, that's my point.
    We're saying the same thing after all.
  • Options
    No we're not. From the suicide's point of view, its not selfish, its the only way out.
  • Options

But practically all problems have solutions! A suicidal person may be depressed, but they should be made to see that there IS a solution to their problem!

Ideally people should be talked out of suicide.
  • Options
    No we're not. From the suicide's point of view, its not selfish, its the only way out.
    I think the question asked was if it's selfish or not, not if the suicidal thinks it is. I've done things that were selfish without at that time realising they were, without being suicidal. It doesn't mean they weren't selfish.
  • Options
    Depends on your perspective doesn't it? One person's selfish act is another persons only option. And I talk as someone who's had someone close to me attempt suicide several times.
  • Options
    But is there truly no way out?

That man who killled himself over credit card debt should have gained greater support from his family, who could have made him realise that he could work himself out of debt. Besides every cloud has a silver lining; he could have realised that he should control his spending in future so not to encounter such a situation years from now.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaptin pikarrrd
    But is their truly no way out?
    Of course there is a way out. But it's not the topic here.
  • Options

Obviously not, I would say. If you had a list of possibilitys when you were in a tough situation, suicide would be one of them. Where would you put it on your list? One to try out first or a last resort?
  • Options

Of course there is another way out. But people who are desperate enough to atttempt suicide can't see it.
  • Options
    Depends on your perspective doesn't it? One person's selfish act is another persons only option. And I talk as someone who's had someone close to me attempt suicide several times.

It's not like you're the only one.

Whether someone has all their mental faculties available or not does not change the fact that when said person commits suicide, their only thoughts are of themself and not of the people whom they are leaving behind that must not cope with the problem, or reasons for it, and their grief.

This is, by definition, a selfish act. I have a great deal of empathy with those who are dealing with such accute depression though, and am more inclinded to help them than to condemn then.
  • Options
    What is selfish is a matter of perspective, it's not an absolute.