Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

christenings.

What is your view on christenings for babies when the family arent christian or religious in any way?
I dont see the point myself, I think it must be a very special ceremony if its something you truly believe in, initiating your new baby into your faith, but whats the point if you dont believe in the first place? If you want a party for the baby, then thats great. I dont see why it has to be made into a religious ceremony.
Most actual christians I know dont even do baptisms for babies, preferring to wait until adulthood when the person can make that choice for themselves, rather than have the choice made for them when they are too young to have a say.
please debate.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i dont really see the point either, loads of my friends are christened and have never been to church apart from at the ceremony.
    it just seems silly, if you're going to christen your kid, you might as well take them to church as my understanding of it is that you agree to bring the child up in accordance to the bible and god.
  • Options
    It makes a mockery of the point. I was never christened and neither were my brothers and sisters based on my paretns view taht if you christen your children you are making a commitment for them. My parents wanted us to make our own decisions.

On another angle, though equally ridiculous. My friend who is christian, was christened as a child but her god parents couldn't be more atheistic or anti-christian if they tried, what's the point in that?

When you are christened it's a commitment, your parents promise to bring you up as a christian, and your godparents promise to help. It seems absurd, but it's not like you can really blame the child is it? For a change it really is the parents fault.
  • Options
    Christenings for babies were only introduced in the first place to prevent the souls of people wo hadn't been baptised being 'lost' - originally, it was adults that made the conscious decision to become a christian which is why most christians are now also confirmed.

It does seem a little daft that people christen their children when they don't believe that they'll go to hell should they die anyway.
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Christenings for babies were only introduced in the first place to prevent the souls of people wo hadn't been baptised being 'lost' - originally, it was adults that made the conscious decision to become a christian which is why most christians are now also confirmed.

It does seem a little daft that people christen their children when they don't believe that they'll go to hell should they die anyway.

Well quite. Personally baptism as an adult seems the sensible option. Seeing as that is what christ did, and chrisitians are supposed to emulate.
  • Options
    any excuse for a family piss up, i say.
  • Options
    Originally posted by superfly

Surely just celebrating the birth would cover that?
  • Options
    oh no, you save it for the christening!

seriously on point, i was christened, no idea why, i think it was just to placate the grandparents more than anything else, theyre far more religious than our generation, mine are, coming from the west indies.

like i said no idea why, i could count on my hand the number of times ive actually been to church. been left to my own devices and i dont believe in god anyway, so i wont be christening my little 'uns.

does a lack of faith contribute to the unruliness of kids these days? now there's a question.
  • Options
    does a lack of faith contribute to the unruliness of kids these days? now there's a question.

one of my favourite quotes comes from a group of old men in Russia, after the collapse of the soviet they coment on why things went so bad for Russia the the USSR
    Men have forgotten God, this is why this has happened

Maybe a lack of faith and accountability is what's wrong with the youth of today. Give me til this evening and I'll get you some interesting stats.
  • Options
    Well thats the only reason I think people do it, and to get presents off people.
    There are non-religious naming ceremonies you can have for babies which dont have the religious element and arent so hypocritical and downright disrespectful to the christians for whom the pledges actually mean something.
  • Options
    lack of faith causing a breakdown in society is a different debate altogether, but feel free to start a new one if you like.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    Well thats the only reason I think people do it, and to get presents off people.
    There are non-religious naming ceremonies you can have for babies which dont have the religious element and arent so hypocritical and downright disrespectful to the christians for whom the pledges actually mean something.

I fully concure

I'm off to make a new thread on breakdown in society. Aladdin will love it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    But... Reliigous people are susposed to bring up their children religiously and a Christening brings them to the Church, shows that they are a Christian.
    It's the same with other Religions particularly Judaism and Islam there are ceremonies at a young age.

Is it necessary to christen your child to bring them up religiously? And what's the point in non religous people promising their child into a faith?
  • Options
    sorry, I don't understand this. sorry!

Well that makes a nice change...

oh wait, that's not true!
  • Options
    sorry, I don't understand this. sorry!
    He means you can be christian and bring your child up to be christian too, without actually having a baptism ceremony as a baby. A lot of churches WONT actually baptise babies as they say it means nothing because the baby isnt choosing God for themselves. They do baptism when the child is older and understands what christianity is about and believes in it and wants it - like Jesus did.

At a christening of a young baby, the parents promise to bring the child up to be a christian and to uphold the christian faith - the godparents promise under God to be the childs spiritual guardians and to encourage them and help in the childs religious education.
    If the parents dont actually believe in God or arent Christian themselves, then what on earth is the point of having the ceremony? It makes a mockery of it for the people that DO believe in it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Well that makes a nice change...

oh wait, that's not true!
    please no flaming. I hate that. It really ruins a good debate.
  • Options
    I would never have my children Christened. If I were a member of a group / club / religion etc and someone made a mockery of our beliefs and took an oath to say they would bring their child up to follow our rules etc, but hadn't any intention of doing so, I'd be highly insulted and offended.
  • Options
    pardon? all I wanted is it to be said easier... sorry.

I had written things in greater detail earlier. And if you want things to be explained further, ask, don't just say you don't understand, otherwise you get the piss taken
  • Options
    please no flaming. I hate that. It really ruins a good debate.

I apologise. It was a very lukesh thing to do though.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I see christening as a baby more as a custom than something important really. But if someone calls themselves religious and sees the child's christening as important, they should be reminded that it should be a free choice according to their own religion.
    As for myself, I was christened as a baby, probably because that's the custom. Many people just take it for granted that the baby will be christened, simply because that's what everyone does. I don't consider it important though.
  • Options
    I don't think non-religious people should be allowed to Christen their child, get married in a church of have religious holidays like Christmas off work. If you are religious I guess it's Ok.

There are Pagan christening style ceremonies/blessings that I'd get for my children if I ever have 'em.
  • Options
    Christmas isn't really a religious celebration for a lot of us.

I'm not religious and we wont be having our baby christened, although I will have a party and select God Parents.
  • Options
    Originally posted by CheeseOnToast
    Christmas isn't really a religious celebration for a lot of us.

I'm not religious and we wont be having our baby christened, although I will have a party and select God Parents.

They won't be god parents though. The whole point in a god parent is that they will bring up the child to believe in GOD.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    They won't be god parents though. The whole point in a god parent is that they will bring up the child to believe in GOD.

Exactly. Perhaps choosing guardians for your child would be a better term?
  • Options
    spiritual guardians?
  • Options
    spiritual guardians?

indeed
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    I don't think many kids go to Sunday school any more either, having said that I went and I don't remember any of it.
    The memory of going is completely blocked out of my head, odd!

Is that because families don't go to church regularly anymore, or because there aren't sunday schools anymore, or because children can't be trusted to leave the sight of parents/guardians?
  • Options
    christening is just another example of religion corrupting the teaching of the Bible. If anyone can find one verse that supports this practice then please post it.

having said that, if a family wants to make a statement about how they will bring their child up, good, but as bumblebee said
    I would never have my children Christened. If I were a member of a group / club / religion etc and someone made a mockery of our beliefs and took an oath to say they would bring their child up to follow our rules etc, but hadn't any intention of doing so, I'd be highly insulted and offended.

i couldn’t agree more
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth

this is the reason everyone in my family was christened. they weren't choosing a faith for us at birth. it was just that, in their religion, should an unbaptised person die before choosing the faith as an adult, they believed we would go straight to hell.

my family are catholic, some more devout than others. i have been christened and confirmed, but don't practice. however, i will be married in a church, will have my children christened, and will have my funeral in a church. out of respect for the elders of my family as much as for my own wishes. but that doesn't make it wrong.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    Surely it's up to God to be offended by something like that, not you or me? If they want to go to church and have thier kid christened then it's up to them, your faith shouldn't be weakened because you judge someone to be making a mockery of something that doesn't belong to you in the first place.

That's a good argument, but surely to those that it means nothing should try to avoid offending those it matters to simply out of respect?
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    Why does it offend people? How can we measure someones belief to say that they are not worthy of a christening?

Worthiness is not in question here I think.

It's more the intention of the parents, no child should be judged by the decision of their parents when they're only a few months or a year old.

The offence comes from parents christening their children with no intention of adhering to the promises made. Thereby suggesting that this service means nothing to anyone and isn't worth respecting enough to tell the truth.