Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

christenings.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was Christened, only ever attend church with voluntary events (brownies etc) or family events.

However by being christian i know who i am, i know my faith.

I have recently been asked to be a godmother to my cousins baby, i will do as i am supposed to and if the child should ever ask to be taken to church i would do the job properly.

My counsins were never christened however one had a baby, she wanted the baby to be CofE, she planned the christening but was told that her brother could not be godfather because he had never been christened, this caused some trouble as she had also not been christened however she wanted her child to be taught in a CofE school (the baby needed to be christened)

Likewise she hopes to marry but has been old, get christened or you will have to have a non-christian wedding (reg office).
  • Options
    I do think Christening is wrong because the child doesn't get the chance to decide whether they want to become a Christian or not... and aren't we supposed to be blessed with free will?

However, I'm all for a simple blessing, or secondary guardians or whatever. I'm not a Christian anymore (obviously), but I don't resent my parents for bringing me up with the CoE... But I think it'd be nice if I'd have been taught about a few different religions, instead of the one. And has the chance of doing this or that on a Sunday instead of church.
  • Options
    Originally posted by hobbs
    christening is just another example of religion corrupting the teaching of the Bible. If anyone can find one verse that supports this practice then please post it.

Matthew 3:13?

Mark 1:4?

Mark 1:9?

Luke 3:3?

Luke 3:21?

There are plenty if you look for them.....
  • Options
    Originally posted by Russ T Bitz
    Matthew 3:13?

Mark 1:4?

Mark 1:9?

Luke 3:3?

Luke 3:21?

There are plenty if you look for them.....

Writing the verse out in full or giving a over view of what they say would have been better manners.

And these are not plenty, nor do they advocate the christening of children. This is about the baptism of adults, not about the christening of children.

If you had thought a bit harder about it, or looked a bit harder. You would have found of the many verses in which Jesus commands the diciples to love 'little ones', meaning children, and welcome them in His name. That in Matt 18:10 it says
    "Beware that you don't despise a single one of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels are always in the presence of my heavenly Father.
    and also in Mark 9:37 it says
    "Whoever welcomes one little child such as this in My name welcomes Me. And whoever welcomes Me does not welcome Me, but Him who sent Me."

It still doesn't say that we should promise children to God at the level of commitment of adult baptism before they are old enough to make the decision themselves though does it?
  • Options
    Ah, ok, now I understand - you apparently object to baptism for children? The original post by Hobbs made no mention of this which is why I provided the above examples (and I apologise if you were not satisfied with my naming the verses - I've always been a 'look-it-up-yourself' type which I feel helps people learn better.

But I agree with you in principle - baptism for children is not something I can agree with as the whole basis of Christianity is faith, and self-chosen faith, at that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Russ T Bitz
    Ah, ok, now I understand - you apparently object to baptism for children? The original post by Hobbs made no mention of this which is why I provided the above examples (and I apologise if you were not satisfied with my naming the verses - I've always been a 'look-it-up-yourself' type which I feel helps people learn better.

But I agree with you in principle - baptism for children is not something I can agree with as the whole basis of Christianity is faith, and self-chosen faith, at that.

I find reading the opening post helps when finding out what the debate is actually about.
  • Options
    Re: christenings.
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    What is your view on christenings for babies when the family arent christian or religious in any way?

Its the parents choice what they do. Im not religious and only attend church when I have to. Im C of E.
    I had a baby who died when he was only a few weeks old, he wasnt baptised and it was really hard for me the fact that he hadnt been baptised and welcomed to the church, yet I was taking him to the church to say goodbye.......wierd, infact I cant even use the words to describe how that felt.
    When I had my Daughter she was baptised quite young, I wanted her welcomed to the church and I just felt a lot better knowing she had been baptised.
    I cant explain it very well, sorry :(
  • Options
    Re: Re: christenings.
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Its the parents choice what they do. Im not religious and only attend church when I have to. Im C of E.
    I had a baby who died when he was only a few weeks old, he wasnt baptised and it was really hard for me the fact that he hadnt been baptised and welcomed to the church, yet I was taking him to the church to say goodbye.......wierd, infact I cant even use the words to describe how that felt.
    When I had my Daughter she was baptised quite young, I wanted her welcomed to the church and I just felt a lot better knowing she had been baptised.
    I cant explain it very well, sorry :(

I think that people have more of a problem when parents christen their children with no intention of bringing them up in a religious environment. That's what makes a mockery of the promises made.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: christenings.
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    I think that people have more of a problem when parents christen their children with no intention of bringing them up in a religious environment. That's what makes a mockery of the promises made.

I dont go to church as I already said.Im not particuarly bothered wether anyone has a problem with that at all, it was my choice to have my Daughter baptised as I wanted her welcomed to the church. When she is old enough to make her own mind up im sure she will decide wether she wants to go to church or not too.
  • Options
    Can you see how that attitude may offend others though? you promised to bring up your child in a christian home, to know and understand the love of christ etc, when you don't follow through on this, it's as if it's a ceremony that doesn't need to be taken seriously.
  • Options
    My Daughter goes to a catholic school so does go to church reguarly. When she is old enough to decide then she will make the right decision for her.
    Just because i dont go to church does not mean im not going to let her.
  • Options
    My Daughter goes to a catholic school so does go to church reguarly. When she is old enough to decide then she will make the right decision for her.
    Just because i dont go to church does not mean im not going to let her.

Ok, that's a better way of going about it, but some people don't have that attitude; can you see my point?
  • Options
    Yes I can see your point but at the end of the day its the parents choice, its them who decide what they want for their child and is it our place to criticise them ?
  • Options
    Yes I can see your point but at the end of the day its the parents choice, its them who decide what they want for their child and is it our place to criticise them ?

I try to avoid such criticism, but feel that parents to whom it means nothing should have more respect and sensitivity towards someone's religion.
  • Options
    I was christened when I was about 6 months old, and although I don't attend church, I'm glad that I was. I would consider myself Christian, and do believe. However, I don't think that my parents "forced" me into religion by christening me or anything like that, just opened a pathway for me should I want it.

On the subject of godparents, I have never met mine. They don't speak to my parents anymore...so much for the traditional role that they should play.

I do wonder why my parents had me christened though, neither are very religious at all.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonArcanum

I do wonder why my parents had me christened though, neither are very religious at all.

I dont know how old they are but id suspect its a tradition thing. I think many people go along with a christening because thats what kinda happens.....baby born then the christening.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I dont know how old they are but id suspect its a tradition thing. I think many people go along with a christening because thats what kinda happens.....baby born then the christening.
    Exactly what I was saying. That was the case with me too, and even though I consider myself a Christian today (non-dogmatic) I was an agnosticist(sp?) for many years, and I still have some beliefs that would make some priests think I'm no christian. It certainly wasn't forced on me.
  • Options

I hadn't really thought of that...thats probably it.

I'm glad I was christened, but if I had to choose for myself now, I don't think I would, I would probably see it as too religious as I'm not really a churchgoer etc. Do people think that leaving children to make their own decision could cause a general lack of interest?

The way I see it is if they were to be brought up in a religious family, then they would probably be christened at birth, and brought up as a christian. But if the family leave it for them to make their own decision, would people be too apathetic? Without the environment, would there be not enough information or whatever available for people to make an informed decision?

(Sorry if it doesnt make much sense, I'm finding it a bit difficult to find the right words for what I mean.)