Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

depression

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've just told my mum. It took me ages to build up the courage to tell her, but she just doesn't understand. I told her I'm really not happy, and haven't been truely happy for well over a year. I just feel nothing, some days I'm happier than others, like when I'm with my boyfriend, friends or I'm busy. But other days like today I just feel so shit, she just said that everyone is like that. I understand that everyone has good and bad days, but surely they don't feel this shit, like they're useless and there's no point in living? I just wish she could at least understand, and not make me feel like I'm making this up. She suggested getting some herbal remedy tablets or something, because "it's worth a go", but is this really going to help me? I seriously doubt it. Why can't she just be supportive and say to me I should go to the doctors and see what they say? She just doesn't want to admit that I could be depressed.

I'm sorry about the rant, I just needed to get it off my chest. hopefully my boyfriend will be more supportive tonight.
  • Options
    Well I've booked an appointment aswell, going on Friday, hopefully it'll be alright.
  • Options
    Originally posted by RepeatToFade
    Well I've booked an appointment aswell, going on Friday, hopefully it'll be alright.

Well done :)

blonde_batman - when you ring up to change your appointment make sure you tell them that you do not want details of your appointment given to anyone else who might ring. Tell them nobody has your permission to change your appointment. I would even go as far as encouraging you to write a letter to that effect so that they have it in writing. I work in a GPs surgery and the general public don't seem to realise just how much privacy they are entitled too. Personally I don't think anyone should be allowed to book an appointment for someone else (over 16) because there is always the danger they are really trying to find out if/when that person already has an appointment. You mum has been sneaky and for all you know she could ring up the docs and check to see when your appointment is. Some surgeries are very lax with confidentiality but I'm forever pissing people off saying 'sorry, Data Protection Act!'
  • Options
    Just in case anyones interested:

I went doctors this morning to tell her how I'd been feeling. I found it really hard because she wasn't asking me any questions, just wanting me to explain to her. She also kept asking me what I wanted her to do to help me! Anyway she said I could either have AD's, group counselling or 1-1 counselling. She felt it would be best if I didn't have AD's because of them being short term, so I decided to have 1-1 counselling. Not sure if it's going to help much because I hate talking about my problems, but we'll see. Just got to wait about a month for an appointment to come through.

Told my mum this afternoon, and she was really pleased I went, and I found out that she's actually been going for counselling. So hopefully she'll be able to understand more.
  • Options
    Originally posted by RepeatToFade
    She also kept asking me what I wanted her to do to help me!

That is the sign of a good GP! Many of them wouldn't have involved you in the decision - they would have handed you out ADs like sweeties and told you to shove off (maybe not as bluntly as that though). She sounds like a good GP.

:) Glad everything went ok, and also that you were able to tell your mum.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    That is the sign of a good GP! Many of them wouldn't have involved you in the decision - they would have handed you out ADs like sweeties and told you to shove off (maybe not as bluntly as that though). She sounds like a good GP.

:) Glad everything went ok, and also that you were able to tell your mum.

Yeah I can see now it was good of her to ask me. However I was crying quite a bit, and she wasn't saying anything, just letting me speak, and then suddenly she asks me what I want her to do about it. At the time it felt like she didn't understand and/or thought I was making it up, but then she started talking through my options.

She is a very good GP, although I can't always understand what she says because she's foreign!

I'm glad everything went well too. I feel a lot happier by just getting the ball rolling, because it's really difficult to build up your courage to start it.