Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

McDonalds And First Days In The Workplace

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Today was my first day working at McDonald's. I've never felt so humiliated in my life, as I randomly pushed buttons into the till praying it would respond to me. When I was asked if I knew how to make a McFlurry I instincively said "Yes! :)!" for some reason with seriously dire consequences. Not to mention short changing people, and firing change across the counter amongst other things. Eventually they sent me to the back to sweep floors, that's the best place for me I think ;)!

Fingers crossed it'll get better. When I get to do another shift tomorrow...

Anyone got any first day nightmare stories that might make me feel better about mine?

Comments

• Options
    alas I have no first day of work stories to tell you because no one wants to employ my teenage ass. Don't worry though, you'll get better and eventually saying 'do you want fries with that?' will become second nature.

:p
  • Options
    You can't expect to know everything your first day so just give it time and you'll be fine.

My first day at the clothing store I work at Arden B. was horrible. I charged this lady $5600.00 instead of $560.00. I was freaking out because I thought I'd be fired on the spot. but it all worked out fine. We just had to void the whole thing and call her bank and tell them. You'll mess up peoples ordered alot on your first times but really, everyone that works there has had their first couple days that were total shit. No worries ;)
  • Options
    :lol: i used to work at McDonalds and my first day wasnt much better...
    The first thing i did was change a bin and the bin bag split and all the rubbish went everywhere...

But dont worry you'll get the hang of it... even though i left 6 months ago i could still work them tills blindfolded.
    I'm guessing the flurry went everywhere..... haha how humilating... its bad enough wearing those stupid hats.

Just give it 2 weeks and you'll get used to it, the short changing the horrible customers is all part of the fun!!
    Oh and dont forget to ask if they would like to upgrade their meals to large.

Good luck.... its sure of a struggle working at McD erwww nightmares will be coming back to me now of that place
  • Options
    Ahh just remember another nightmare story when i worked at McDonalds..... when changing those bins its best to crouch down to get the bin bags...
    Well my damn cheap trousers that your supplied with, just ripped apart round the ass area.... and there was a group of girls right behind me and just burst out laughing.
    My advice is to demand trousers that are the right size, ones too small can produce embarassing moments.
  • Options
    Yes, it did go everywhere! It wouldn't have been so bad, had I not been trying to McFlurry-ize a milkshake...

I know I can't be expected to know everything on the first day, and didn't expect to. But the fellow employees could've shown some more compassion, instead of laughing amongst themselves at me because I couldn't open a cupboard door. I've also realised that I've gone and taken someone else's hat home - I'm wearing the blue uniform and now I have a green hat...

Oh well!

It's nice to know others found McDonalds hard at first. The rest of the staff just act angry at me. It reminds me of when I learned to drive a car - and how other road users treated me as a Learner, forgetting that they too, were in that position once!
  • Options
    Woww! :eek: I didn't know that many people here had/still do work at Maccy D's. What a comic gold place!!!!
  • Options
    Dont worry i got the little laughs at when i messed up aswell on my first day.... the flurryrising a milkshake sounds like a laugh... i never tried that one.
    I bet they dont mean to act angry towards you..... i think its just due to the fact its a face paced environment and sometimes its frustrating when things aint going right.
    Keep ya chin up and you'll get used to things.... just dont let people get to you, especially those arrogant customers erwww.
  • Options
    I heard them mcmuffins can be a real pain in the arse as well sometimes..... :cool:
  • Options
    For God's Sake try and think about the experience from the customer's point of view.

Smile at them,

Speak clearly

Listen to their requests carefully, if they don't want ice then remember that

Look at them in the face when you give them their change

And give their change to them in their hand if their hand is held out, very rude of some people to pop it on the counter when it's obvious the customer expects it in their hand.

Don't squish the buns and leave finger prints in them.

Give the customer a good experience and they'l be more pleasent to you and you'll enjoy you job a lot more.
  • Options
    just keep saying 'it's my first day!'

a lot of people are surprisingly patient when they realise you're new, and not just shit.
  • Options
    On my first day at Tesco I got a sign saying 'You are being served by a newly trained cashier. Please be patient.'

Now the new starters get special badges saying 'I'm new'.

Humph.

I can't really remember doing anything majorly stupid on my first day. It tends to be an all the time thing with me. :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Digital-Emotion
    I heard them mcmuffins can be a real pain in the arse as well sometimes..... :cool:

*snort*

I agree that if you say you're new, smile and are polite, people are not only forgiving if you cock up...they also try and give you little bits of advice...usually pretty useless and irrelevant advice, but nice of them nontheless.

It's when you've been there six months and you're still telling people "Sorreee, I'm new" as you pour BBQ sauce on their McFlurry, that you need to worry/will start getting irate customer :lol:
  • Options
    My first day at Halford's was fairly idiot proof - i didn't do any work but got paid for it anyway. It was a case over the next few days of stocking up on supplies before moving over to cycles [building and fixing them] where i'm near enough permanantely situated now, except if the parts desk is busy or if there is no-one to cover the till.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    On my first day at Tesco I got a sign saying 'You are being served by a newly trained cashier. Please be patient.'

Now the new starters get special badges saying 'I'm new'.

Thinks that a very good idea
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Thinks that a very good idea

Tis, yes.

Think I may pinch a new persons badge so I can use it as an excuse for my silly-ness. :D
  • Options
    I don't think i'd ever work in Mc Donalds, never have. One of my friends do and he hates it, every single minute. He gets good money though and free food so can't be all bad.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    He gets good money though and free food so can't be all bad.

Good money? How much if you don't mind me asking?

I use to work in McDonalds a couple years ago and hated my first day there. Was on the tills and they just expected to me pick things up as I go along which isn't good when you started on a busy Saturday afternoon with the whole place packed.
    Lost count how many orders I screwed up and even out changed myself by 10 quid which they took out of my wages :(
    Was awful. Only last 2 months. I hated it.
    Though everyone is different. :yes:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I used to be a greenkeeper and I remember on my LAST day on the Golf course I kicked the three wheel drive in so hard on the Greensking mower that it sent several litres of hydraulic oil spraying over the green, causing hundreds of pounds worth of damage to both the green and the mower.
    Good thing I was leaving or I'd have been fired.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cruel2BKind
    I screwed up and even out changed myself by 10 quid which they took out of my wages :(

That's not very fair!

I've dropped things and I've never been asked to pay for them or anything.
  • Options
    I'm not too sure but he was only 16 when he started and seemed to always have money, he had a good few hours though.

I'll try and find out how much an hour.

I think the worse job i had was about 6 or 7 years ago out picking mushrooms 3-4 days a week from 6am till 2 or 3 in the afternoon, got about £30 for it. I remember seeing a few tenners sitting there thinking i was the richest man in the world.What a fool i was. You got paid by each box too which was shite.
  • Options
    That's not very fair!

I've dropped things and I've never been asked to pay for them or anything.

Coz they're robbing basstards... :p hehe
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    I used to be a greenkeeper and I remember on my LAST day on the Golf course I kicked the three wheel drive in so hard on the Greensking mower that it sent several litres of hydraulic oil spraying over the green, causing hundreds of pounds worth of damage to both the green and the mower.
    Good thing I was leaving or I'd have been fired.

I know some one who's a green keeper on a golf course, but he's very coy about what he does. I said did he get to go on a big lawn mower and he got quite offended. :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cruel2BKind
    Coz they're robbing basstards... :p hehe

Seems unfair on your first day especially! I'd refuse to pay it. :mad:
  • Options
    Seems unfair on your first day especially! I'd refuse to pay it. :mad:

Kinda had no choice as it was going to be taken out of my wages I got paid every fortnight... plus I was too shy and quiet to stand up for myself then.

Just glad I don't work there anymore - was like a school reunion for me coz all the ones I worked with, I also use to go to school with. Sooo sad.... hehe :p
  • Options
    Yeh there's I think 4 people from my year at school who work at the Tesco I work at. Just when I thought I was getting away from the place.

Alas, I shall be leaving Tesco soon.
  • Options
    In my first job my excuse was "i'm new" for about 3 months hehe.

I wish I'd had one of those "Don't hurt me, I'm new" badges :lol:
  • Options
    After a month of working in the bar, I finally dropped my first case of beer yesterday. it had to happen soon, and luckily only four bottles broke (though the sight of wasted stella saddened me).

I didn't get bollocked though as it wasn't my fault (some twit had left the box open the wrong way) and this morning i was told I might get promoted, so i'm in a good mood! :D
  • Options
    Man, I hated working at McDonalds, stuck Burger King much longer.

Tesco tills though - that I really hated.
  • Options
    I worked in Mcd's for three whole years. I can't even remember my first day, but the first resturant was really cool because there were a large number of young people there my age. ( I was 17 at the time). There was plenty of gossip and scandal, bosses sleeping with employees etc etc, so I had a great time. Then, after about a year, I became Customer Care Assistant, and I was doing all sorts. But it became boring because a lot of my mates left on to uni and other things.

Just try not to fall over cos that will be the most embaressing thing considering that you have learnt about health and safety! And try to stay calm when ur on the till. Managers will only let u on there when they know u can keep cool under pressure!

Good luck!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jim V
    Tesco tills though - that I really hated.

Really?

T'missus says she didn't mind being a tesco till monkey, because it was brainless.