Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

tube and bus prices

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Disillusioned, why should the GOvernment pay for TUbe improvements?

There are 56 million people in England, and London only has a population of 7 million. Why should I, who goes to London every two years, pay for things that I will never ever use?

If Londonders want a good system, they have to pay for it. Because I sure as hell don't think I should.

London is the capital city. London creates most of the UK’s wealth. If London and the South East were independent the rest of the UK to put it bluntly would be a lot poorer. As the UK’s most important city and one of the most important cities in the world London deserves a decent transport system.
  • Options
    It DOES have a decent transport system.
  • Options
    Bongbudda, Government was severely lacking when the Tyne and Wear Underground was expanded, it was funded by Nexus, which is funded by the five councils of Tyne and Wear.

The Leeds Supertram is being funded by Metro, which is funded by the five councils of West Yorkshire.

Manchester Metrolink will now not be expanded because the Government won't put any money in. Even though Metrolink is successful, unlike, say, Croydon Tram, which IS funded by Government money.

Why should London be any different?

It's typical of the attitude of London, that the rest of the UK owes London a living and should be just so damn grateful that London is so great in every way.
  • Options
    Well yeah London is pretty great...but anyway seeing as people from all over the UK end up living and working in London making up a significant chunk of the working population and bearing in mind the big chunk of Britain's wealth that London creates the government should be funding a first class tube system.

The other systems you talk about in the UK are tiny compared to the tube.

Londoners don't feel the rest of the UK owes London a living. Seeing as Londoners work longer hours on average than anywhere else in the UK as well as making up a huge part of the country's economy London subsidises the rest of the UK!

Going back to London being so great, is the rest of the UK jealous? :p
  • Options
    When I go to London it takes a week to get the smell out of my clothes. Middlesbrough is cleaner, FFS.

And if London is so great, why is the Lake District full of fucking stockbrokers who ruin the place?

As I've said, West Yorkshire is in fact the largest conurbation in terms of size, and I think it is third behind Birmingham (who also get sweet FA in terms of funding) in terms of population.

London, of course, only has a size of one square mile.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    Well yeah London is pretty great...but anyway seeing as people from all over the UK end up living and working in London making up a significant chunk of the working population and bearing in mind the big chunk of Britain's wealth that London creates the government should be funding a first class tube system.

The other systems you talk about in the UK are tiny compared to the tube.

Londoners don't feel the rest of the UK owes London a living. Seeing as Londoners work longer hours on average than anywhere else in the UK as well as making up a huge part of the country's economy London subsidises the rest of the UK!

Going back to London being so great, is the rest of the UK jealous? :p

I think this just about sums up why the rest of the nation think Londoners are arrogant.
  • Options
    hey im not arrogant, i dont want the tube to get extra funding, i just think the fares are stupid as the service is actually decent enough as it is in my opinion and could be improved without increasing fares, as it generates a profit, but oh wait, that goes to the ppp companies now
  • Options
    Your fares rise to pay for the latest RMT strikes.

It'as not the PPP companies, its the RMT who are to blame.

I, personally, would jail anyone who is a member of the RMT for a very very long time. IF Jimmy Knapp wasn't dead I'd kill him.
  • Options
    oh yeh i hate the bloody rmt, their offices are on some side road nr my uni, id burn it down if it werent for their neighbours
  • Options
    I hate the RMT too.

The RMT can effectively hold London to ransom, a tube strike always causes absolute chaos so the RMT have got used to getting whatever they want.

I support people's right to join a union to try and get better pay/conditions but the RMT are just greedy. Tube drivers work far less hours than say teachers and nurses, they are also less qualified than teachers and nurses yet they earn a lot more than teachers and nurses.

Junior doctors I believe earn slightly less than tube drivers. Tube drivers do a 35 hour (though they've striked for a 4 day 32 hour week). Junior doctors can work up to 58 hours a week. Someone needs to be a lot tougher on the RMT.
  • Options
    Sorry for interfering in strictly English matters, but...
    Most tourists who travel in London, do so by the tube. Everyone I have met, did.
    I'd say that London being the capital, it naturally hosts the majority of tourists in England, and should therefore get govenment funding for some of it's facilities, such as the tube and maintainance of museums and other attractions.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Sorry for interfering in strictly English matters, but...
    Most tourists who travel in London, do so by the tube. Everyone I have met, did.
    I'd say that London being the capital, it naturally hosts the majority of tourists in England, and should therefore get govenment funding for some of it's facilities, such as the tube and maintainance of museums and other attractions.

Yes, and the tourists pay the ticket prices like everyone else, thus funding their few days worth of using the tube.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Yes, and the tourists pay the ticket prices like everyone else, thus funding their few days worth of using the tube.

Your totally missing the point.

Nobody is asking the government to give every person who uses the tube a free travelcard!

Everybody who uses the tube buys a ticket and pays fares. However, any profit from tube fares is not enough to cover necessary improvements and bring the tube up to scratch. People are already saying fares are too high and given the enormous amount of money needed government funding is the only solution. The tube is great and covers a huge area but it NEEDS money; failure to invest properly in the tube now will create a massive mess in a few years time and make the cost in a few years time of improving it even bigger. Lack of investment now will result in more delays and more problems in the future; as London is reliant on the tube and the UK is reliant on London failure to give the tube proper money will just cost the UK economy in future as well as accumulate an even bigger bill to sort it all out.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    Your totally missing the point.

Nobody is asking the government to give every person who uses the tube a free travelcard!

Everybody who uses the tube buys a ticket and pays fares. However, any profit from tube fares is not enough to cover necessary improvements and bring the tube up to scratch. People are already saying fares are too high and given the enormous amount of money needed government funding is the only solution. The tube is great and covers a huge area but it NEEDS money; failure to invest properly in the tube now will create a massive mess in a few years time and make the cost in a few years time of improving it even bigger. Lack of investment now will result in more delays and more problems in the future; as London is reliant on the tube and the UK is reliant on London failure to give the tube proper money will just cost the UK economy in future as well as accumulate an even bigger bill to sort it all out.

As the first post in this thread said, the operating companies are making a profit. That means that even after they're paid their bills and their staff they still have money to dish out to shareholders or the board of directors. They can use this money to make improvements.
  • Options
    Exactly. Furthermore, as anyone could have been predicted we're being shortchanged by the maintenance companies. I can't find a link online but on BBC London News yesterday they reported how Tube maintenance companies got paid for finished jobs even though they only completed 50% to 60% of them.

So here we are, once again, having to talk about the folly of letting private companies lay their fat greedy hands on public services. :rolleyes:

Prices can only go up for users...