Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Marriige is it really worth it?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
now i know this sounds stupid but from what i've een in my short time on this crazy lanet (20 years and a bit) from what i can see some people should jsut not get maried and from what i've seen using my parents as an example marrige has jsut ruined them not jsut emotionally but financially also

another thing in my opinion i dont think i could ask someone to marry me if i loved them that much as i wouldnt want to hurt them if something happened to me is this just me being too cautious

discuss

ps. sorry one of things that jsut came to me that i had to say just ignore me

Comments

• Options
    yea, marrige, engagements, it all sucks. best just stay with somebody if you love them not needed to be binded to them. kind of forcing pressure. i hope to never get married. but ya never know, one day i might just say fuck it and not give a shit and fall into a deep depressing hole of marrige... though more than likely it will just be a foreigner using me for a green card and i will take pity on him.
  • Options
    i love being married! i love being loved and being able to love ...with the comittment and the expense and all the ups and downs.
  • Options
    Dunno, will do I reckon, not at this time I wouldn't but maybe next year, 5 years, 10 years, who knows? If I did then a prenuptial agreement would have to be made. something like she would only be allowed the gold fish or the cooker. Not microwave tho. Nooooooo. Mans best friend.
  • Options
    fair play rolly i would "love" to be liek that as well just wouldnt want to take someone i loved too much down with me if something happened to me
  • Options
    it's what you make of it. i come from a family of happy marriages, so naturally i have a great impression of it, and want to get married myself.

my parents will have been married 30 years next year, and my grandparents have been married 58 years and are still crazy about each other, despite the fact that my grandma is bordering on senile, and my grandad is losing control of his faculties. that's true love.
  • Options
    All marriage means to me is a piece of paper.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rossco
    fair play rolly i would "love" to be liek that as well just wouldnt want to take someone i loved too much down with me if something happened to me
    thats the pain and joy of life realy.
    when you have been through the ups and downs ...especialy the downs ...and your STILL there for each other ...it's wonderful to be able to look back ...like reading a book of your lives and being able to give advice to your kids thats actualy based on something.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crispy
    All marriage means to me is a piece of paper.
    then my advice to you would be ...don't bother getting married.
  • Options
    spose your right with what ou last said rolly just the marriges ive seen the marrige never lasts for people too look back at it
  • Options
    to me marriage is a waste of time. my family has consisted of marriage failures
    why do you need a contract to prove you love eachother??
  • Options
    spose your right with what ou last said rolly just the marriges ive seen the marrige never lasts for people too look back at it
    seen plenty like that myself ross ...if you don't believe in it don't do it.
  • Options
    I see marriage as a nice side effect to a good relationship. It won't protect people from infidelity, boredom, heartbreak etc but I'd still like to do it one day
  • Options
    Not meaning to hi-jack your thread but I have a question on marriage.

Can someone make you marry them?? (ive asked a few friends about this and of course they say no, you can't make someone marry you) But I'm still worried that it is possible. What if the person has your parents consent and everything? and you've told the person NO, time and time again, can they force you to marry them? Sorry this is a lame question but I just need a bit of reassurance that there's no way it's possible. :(
  • Options
    i don't know much about the actual marrige process (thank you fuck) but don't you need like your own concent, like signing the papers and everything, if your name is forged its not real, and i can't really see somebody forcing you to sign over your life unless they have a knife to your throat or something. but hey, check out my past, obviously i know fuck all about it so i guess i'm not very helpful on that question.
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    and i can't really see somebody forcing you to sign over your life unless they have a knife to your throat or something.

God no, nothing that serious. :no: I was just wondering, just for the sake of wondering.....
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    if you meet someone who has the same outlook on life that you have
    and opposites do attract ...me and my missus are like chalk and cheese in almost every aspect of our lives!
    but it works for us ...keeps us on our toes ...teaches each other so many different things.
    i couldn't hae married someone who liked the same music the same places the samey samey ...bit of spice.
  • Options
    when nick and i first got together we were total opposites(sp?) but now we pretty much like the same things,still a lot different though,he has tought me things and vice versa,being with someone totally opposite is great for me
  • Options
    marriage is not just a piece of paper tho, it's a piece of paper that gives you access to soooo many more rights than people who are co-habiting have. that's one of the reasons people want to legalise gay marriage, for the same rights.

(...yeah, a-level french did teach me some things...)
  • Options
    hehe, nah you're not being totally dipsy at all!

the reason i know about the legal advantages of marriage versus cohabitation is because of a project we did in french a-level, so i could probably tell you all about it in french.

if i could remember.
  • Options
    what exactly are the other rights you have once married?
  • Options
    er...let me do a search cos it's all in my french notes from 2 years ago!
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    then my advice to you would be ...don't bother getting married.

Good job there's no plans of marriage on the horizon then;)
  • Options
    cheers im suddenly intrested in this subject

gives me soemthign to do while off work sick lol
  • Options
    Legal benefits of Marriage

that should give you some idea...what i had for french was better though, it compared everything. if i cba to get my french stuff out before this thread dies, ill get that for you.

this next paragraph comes from another article on the above site about co-habiting partners.

If one of us dies, how much property will the survivor inherit? Usually nothing, unless the deceased partner made a will or used another estate planning device such as a living trust or joint tenancy agreement. In a very few states -- California, Hawaii and Vermont -- registered domestic partners may automatically inherit a portion of a deceased partner's property, but domestic partnership laws carry numerous restrictions and are by no means the safest or easiest way to plan for inheritance. The bottom line is simple: to protect the person you live with, you should specifically leave property using a will, living trust or other legal document
  • Options
    p.s. i know those examples are american but it's really not that different over here!
  • Options
    cheers im suddenly intrested in this subject

gives me soemthign to do while off work sick lol
    what ...get married!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blnde_BombShell
    Not meaning to hi-jack your thread but I have a question on marriage.

Can someone make you marry them?? (ive asked a few friends about this and of course they say no, you can't make someone marry you) But I'm still worried that it is possible. What if the person has your parents consent and everything? and you've told the person NO, time and time again, can they force you to marry them? Sorry this is a lame question but I just need a bit of reassurance that there's no way it's possible. :(
    No, you cant get married against your will.
    Of course some people get coerced into it or pressurised, and of course there are arranged marriages, but none of it happens without both parties saying `I do`.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    No, you cant get married against your will.
    Of course some people get coerced into it or pressurised, and of course there are arranged marriages, but none of it happens without both parties saying `I do`.
    shotgun weddings still happen in these hills though ...seriously.
  • Options
    To me, marriage is like the ultimate compliment.

Obviously it's about so much more than that, but the fact that someone would be willing to commit to spend the rest of their life to being with me, that's just so unbelievably hard to get my head around.

At the mo, I'm well insecure about women and stuff, so I suppose marriage would mean a lot more to me than a bit of paper.

Och, I know what I mean.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    shotgun weddings still happen in these hills though ...seriously.

Yeah, hills as in streets near my house. My friend's cousin was pretty much forced into marrying a girl he got pregnant, by both sets of parents. I felt so sorry for him. Granted he should have been more careful, but it's not necessary for them to marry, just for him to be there.

Anyhoo, I'm of the view that marriage is right for some people and not others, and that it's not something to be taken lightly at all. I can't comment anymore than that really, I don't have personal experience and the marriages around me (family, friends..) have been a mixed bag, some terrible, some amazing and a lot inbetween.