Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Video Game not sold in wake of murder

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story

knee jerk reaction or sensible policy?

personally i do not think games can br blamed. surely though the kid shouldnt have been in possesion of such a game?

edit to add: i cant say much at the moment because my right arm is in a sling!

Comments

• Options
    It's only Dixons and Game though, plus Rockstar absolutely love publicity like this - I'm sure their marketing team are jumping for joy at it being withdrawn (and who the hell is still buying it anyway?)

Plus this is the same Game stores that whilst withdrawing Manhunt have massive posters advertising San Andreas - pretty much guarantee no one is going to be withdrawing that from sale.
  • Options
    Re: Video Game not sold in wake of murder
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    knee jerk reaction or sensible policy?

Just fantastic publicity IMHO

This is just another in a long history of scapegoating films, videos and gmaes to be blame for society problems...

See also Child's Play, Natural Born Killers ad infintum
  • Options
    I saw this on the news last night and really annoyed me. How can a game or movie be blamed for someone going out and killing someone? If that person was mad enough to stab someone over and over then I'm sure playing the game wasn't "the final straw" and they thought 'right, thats what I'll do tonight'.

I think too many folk jump on the backs of these games and looking for the easy target. Questions to ask are....

How did a 17 year old kid get a copy of the game? Did his parents know?

People having been killing each other way before the introduction of TV and computer games so I can't see how they cause people to kill.
  • Options
    Don't forget this is the company that hired Max Clifford to get them in the papers when Grand Theft Auto 1 was released ( a daily mail 'ban this game' campaign)
  • Options
    Unless a game/film/book etc is proven to turn 'normal' (for want of a better word) people into murderers or otherwise violent, dangerous individuals I couldn’t possibly agree with the banning of anything.

Anyone who decides to kill a person/jump off a bridge/do other utterly stupid things because they saw it in a film or a game is clearly a deeply disturbed individual. Such people are luckily very hard to come by, and I don't see why we should just eliminate certain imagery altogether because once in a few years a nutter might or might have not been "inspired" by it.
  • Options
    I thought they had an argument, or at least that's what I heard. Can't beleive it's back in the news again though..
  • Options
    Lol.

What is more than likely that thie boy grew up like so many nowadays, with NO RESPECT for people and property. You can't blame it on violent video games.
    You can blame it on his parents for not providing proper discipline and you can blame it on the liberal elite's refusal to punish wrong doers.
    I'll wager the 17 year old already had some sort of criminal record, or at least run ins with the police.
  • Options
    For the record the hysterical media were saying stuff about violent video games way back in the 80's. this is nothing new.
  • Options
    The news, on at all hours of the day, is full of footage of bomb victims in Iraq, illegal wars with thousands of dead civilians. Surely that kind of real life thing, that anyone can see just by turning the TV on, would be arguably more of an influence to an unbalanced mind. How can a GAME influence people to kill?

(Although I do think some violent games are distasteful, that's my personal view, people are entitled to play whatever they like).
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    The news, on at all hours of the day, is full of footage of bomb victims in Iraq, illegal wars with thousands of dead civilians. Surely that kind of real life thing, that anyone can see just by turning the TV on, would be arguable more of an influence to an unbalanced mind. How can a GAME influence people to kill?
    Spot on PussyKatty! If anything or anyone other than the perpetrator is to be blamed, families of victims and the media should be blaming Mr. Blair and his wars of 'liberation' with real-life footage of death, bombings, misery and violence instead of fictional games. How hypocritical of certain sectors of the media, so happy to push a warmongering agenda and to publish all sort of graphic images and accounts, to blame videogames and films for violence in society... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    The news, on at all hours of the day, is full of footage of bomb victims in Iraq, illegal wars with thousands of dead civilians. Surely that kind of real life thing, that anyone can see just by turning the TV on, would be arguably more of an influence to an unbalanced mind. How can a GAME influence people to kill?

(Although I do think some violent games are distasteful, that's my personal view, people are entitled to play whatever they like).

One thing about games you may have overlooked though: with the graphics getting mroe and more realistic, it could also be a virtual reality. The player controls the main character going around killing people - that's the difference between just seeing it and making it happen. But I agree with your apparent opinion that a game is hardly the basis for someone to murder someone else.

Asked my mum about it, she thought it was about drugs. Either way they were friends beforehand, I know that much, but seemingly had an argument. Whowhere is probably right, these weren't exactly lovely people themselves, even Stefan, was involved in bad circles etc.
  • Options
    I wonder what the Daily Mail et al make of this classic:

moviedeathrace2000.jpg

:D
  • Options
    I just Tropico, where i dictate an island....shall we see if i end up ruling a small island because of it :p

Anyway, back to the point. it does just seem that video games are used as somewhat of a scape goat
  • Options
    no, i totally think games can influence behaviour.

I play a lot of Point Blank, and can often be seen down the park shooting as many ducks as i can in 30 seconds with an oversized pink plastic gun.

:yeees:
  • Options
    In a way I can see their argument, I've played this game and it is sick (at least in my opinion), and the fact you're controlling what's happening is likely to make it more influential than viewing a film. But...

People always have to find something to blame.
    When it comes to the media they have to blame other sectors of the media for the bad things that happen, whether it's a person, video game, film or music.
    But anyone who would kill with any influence from playing a video game etc is seriously disturbed as it is, they most probably would've cracked eventually.

And is it not at all possible that these games could actually keep some people closer to sane by letting them vent their frustrations through their tv? I can't express the feelings of satisfaction and release when I blast hordes of aliens to smitherines on Halo.

And how far are they going to take it? Will we see the stopping of San Andreas's release next?!
  • Options
    Originally posted by princessamy
    But anyone who would kill with any influence from playing a video game etc is seriously disturbed as it is, they most probably would've cracked eventually.

see, that's it. that's exactly the point.

something would have been the trigger. and maybe this time it was a game, but it could just as easily have been a film, a song, a bad day at the office, a traffic jam, a rude serving person at mcdonalds.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I wonder what the Daily Mail et al make of this classic:

moviedeathrace2000.jpg

:D

That film sucks.

Stallone's part is funny though. Not sure it's meant to be but it's one of his early performances...
  • Options
    To keep it short and sweet...

Tokyo has one of the lowest crime rates in the world... Yet anybody who's a fan of Japanese animation or movies will know that the violence in them makes our media and contemporary Western horror movies look like the Tweenies.

So maybe it's not our media that's to blame
  • Options
    The game is just a covenient scapegoat.
  • Options
    And now naturally the Daily HateMail have gone and done one of their vintage front pages: "BAN THESE EVIL GAMES"

:rolleyes: :mad:
  • Options
    And now naturally the Daily HateMail have gone and done one of their vintage front pages: "BAN THESE EVIL GAMES"

:rolleyes: :mad:

It is really pathetic how the media portray video games.
    I was just playing theme hospital, does that mean my hospital running skills are improving :p
  • Options
    There's a great article in the Sun which has no description of the problem, just some underage kids trying to buy the game and a splash page reviewing violent games.

Basically it's like one huge Rockstar advert - they couldn't afford to buy this kinda press.

Although on a related note Game wouldn't let me trade in Manhunt this morning - so I guess they are serious about the ban for now.
  • Options
    Quite a few posters at U75 claim to have bought the game in the last 24 hours from various online retailers.

So yes, the whole incident is a PR dream come true...
  • Options
    All the news reports I've seen clearly state that only Dixons and Game have withdrawn Manhunt - I'd love to see if Amazon increased their stock levels prior to Wednesday.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken

I was just playing theme hospital, does that mean my hospital running skills are improving :p
    Lol, i love that game :D

And this is in some ways a helpful promotion for rockstar (except maybe to the parents of teenagers!), i mean last night when i was watching all this stuff on the news with my boyfriend he said, 'i've got to go and get that game now' and i doubt he was the only one thinking that...
  • Options
    I play Command and Conquer, many times I have fielded mighty Russian armies and destroyed the European Allied scum.

Mother Russia, here I come.
  • Options
    A few years ago I used to play Microsoft Flight Simulator and amused myself by crashing airplanes into buildings when I got tired of flying. I even crashed airliners into the WTC towers a few times, well before 9/11 happened. I know of one or two people who did the same- most people who’ve played the game have done NY landings or takings off at some stage or other.

I guess the families of the perpetrators of 9/11 could have blamed the attacks on the evil Microsoft game... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I guess the families of the perpetrators of 9/11 could have blamed the attacks on the evil Microsoft game... :rolleyes:

Some of them did, as I remember :chin: that they used it as a trainer so they were familiar with the skyline and what they had to go for.
  • Options
    i have never ever been able to understand why people use violence for entertainment. it just doesn't appeal to me at all, even if it isn't real. i think that boy is soley responsible, but im sure seeing taking in all the violent images contained in that game and various other forms of media did him no favours.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    As some people have said, if video games affected so much people that aren't necessarily unstable, then we'd all be running around moving our mouths constantly and eating aspirins all the while.