Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Police officers banned from joining the BNP

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3930175.stm

I personally think it's the right thing to do. Clearly a man who supports and becomes a member of a racist party that does not believe in race equality cannot hold a position of law enforcement.

Anyone disagrees?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it's a good thing. If a police officer shares the views of the BNP about gay people/non British people, how can they possibly treat them equally and fairly?
  • Options
    I suppose I have to agree although ideally I'd like to believe people would have the moral fibre to put their personal beliefs to one side while on duty its just not worth the risk.

What a sad world we live in :(
  • Options
    Good idea, it's been shown that it's very difficult to seperate your personal views from your proffesional conduct.

However I think instant dismissal is over the top. I'd rather the officers in question interviewed in order to find out what their views are, using lie detectors if necessary.

You have to bear in mind that the BNP has become popular by dropping (publicly) it's racist image.
    A party devoted to law and order is a very attractive one to a police officer or member of the public sick of crime. This is something that needs to be addressed
  • Options
    Police Officers have to do their duty with an open mind so being part of BNP would heavily conflict with that in an obvious way
    and also with the published competencies required to be a Police
    Officer.
  • Options
    I think it stinks.

As much as I dislike them, the BNP are a legitimate politcal party. (lets not bother throwing about terms like racist, because they are technically a party)

So, therefore to ban police from joining a legitimate party is VERY suspect.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere

You have to bear in mind that the BNP has become popular by dropping (publicly) it's racist image.
    A party devoted to law and order is a very attractive one to a police officer or member of the public sick of crime. This is something that needs to be addressed

Their online Manifesto is still anti non-whites and the documentry wouldn't have helped there image.
    I could understand a copper wanting their hands to be less tied when it comes to certain crimes but parties like the BNP would turn us into a Police state and surely not even the police want that. They also want the death penalty brought back as well as Corporal punishment.

"We support the re-introduction of corporal punishment for petty criminals and vandals, and the restoration of capital punishment for paedophiles, terrorists and murderers as an option for judges in cases where their guilt is proven beyond dispute, as by DNA evidence or being caught red-handed." from bnp website
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I think it stinks.

As much as I dislike them, the BNP are a legitimate politcal party. (lets not bother throwing about terms like racist, because they are technically a party)

So, therefore to ban police from joining a legitimate party is VERY suspect.

Do we want the police to have strong political views though?
    Surely they should be neutral?
  • Options
    Oh please!

So we're going to vet all police on the basis of them having no views on anything?!

People have the right to belong to ANY legitimate political party they want to. We do live in some sort of democracy.
  • Options
    I'm not staying that they should have no views but If an Officer had particularly strong views on illegal immigration or other races
    would that not come into direct conflict with their duties?
  • Options
    I see your point, and to be honest I wouldnt want BNP members as policemen/women.

But thats not quite the point, a legitimate political party is having restrictions put on them just because of their message. This is a very suspect move.
  • Options
  • Options
    It's down to conflict of interests isn't it?

In the same way as you would expect a registered sex child offender to be banned from getting a job as a school teacher, you can expect that 'registered' racists (and regardless of what they might say, the BNP is a profoundly racist party- amongst other things) should not be allowed to hold such positions of power such as police officers, where they'd be expected to deal with members of the community of all races, and furthermore enforce legislation that goes against what they themselves believe in.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    It's down to conflict of interests isn't it?
    you can expect that 'registered' racists (and regardless of what they might say, the BNP is a profoundly racist party- amongst other things) should not be allowed to hold such positions of power such as police officers, where they'd be expected to deal with members of the community of all races, and furthermore enforce legislation that goes against what they themselves believe in.

exactly. From the policecouldyou website

Respect for race and diversity
    Understands other people’s views and takes them into account. Treats people with dignity and respect at all times no matter what their background, status, circumstances or appearance. Remember diversity is not just about race and gender. Age, sexual orientation, life styles are all relevant.

then just look at
    http://www.bnp.org.uk/faq.html#racist

there is your conflict.
  • Options
    They are a genuine party, and because of that they should be treated the same as any other.

You may not like their views, but they have just as much right as anyone else to express them.

If policemen/women are allowing their views to influence how they enforce the law, then thats totally different.

The Green Party are pro-legalisation of some drug use, should their members not be allowed to enforce drug law?
  • Options
    I always thought that when you become a police officer you are not allowed to join any political party?
  • Options
    it seems fair as we know the bnp are willing to break laws and discriminate. a police officer should hold everyone in equal regard.
  • Options
    I'm surprised at your responses actually.

You'll bitch and moan about errosion of rights when its someone you agree with, but when its not then, well fuck them they dont deserve rights anyway.
  • Options
    What about the rights of people who are treated badly by racist police officers?
  • Options

You'll bitch and moan about errosion of rights when its someone you agree with, but when its not then, well fuck them they dont deserve rights anyway.

like members of the bnp care about peoples rights though
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    What about the rights of people who are treated badly by racist police officers?

That really doesnt have much to do with it though does it.

Do you think banning them from joining the BNP is going to stop them being racist? Of course not.

If an officer is racist in his enforcement of the law then of course he/she should be delt with.

What I am saying is that people should have the right to support whatever legal party they want.
  • Options
    I see what you mean but maybe it would make them think about the issues.
  • Options
    I would say quite the opposite actually.

I'd think it will entrench their ideas even further, that the asians/blacks can say what they want but the whites can not.
  • Options
  • Options
    But if he was Communist it'd be fine :rolleyes:

Either you make it so public sevants cannot be a member of ANY political party, or you allow them to become members of the parties they choose.

If that copper was COnservative it would be a grave conflict of interests because his employers are a Labour government, if that copper was a Communist it'd be a grave confl;ict of interest because he wouldn't protect his rich constiutuents in thed event of a "class war".

Hypocrisy of the highest order. Yet again.

And more fuel to the BNP fire. Hell, I might even vote for them just to teach the smug pricks who run this country a lesson in free speech.
  • Options

I'm not.

People on here will only see the merits of free speech when it is THEM who the government come knocking for, and when it is THEIR BELIEFS that are seen as evil and disgusting.
  • Options
    I think it's a good thing. If a police officer shares the views of the BNP about gay people/non British people, how can they possibly treat them equally and fairly?

It's called being a professional.

As always, this is just plain stupid. Don't let them join the BNP and they won't be racist? Let us know when you are back in the real world.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    It's called being a professional.

As always, this is just plain stupid. Don't let them join the BNP and they won't be racist? Let us know when you are back in the real world.

So I'm stupid because I disagree with you.

Someone who is dumb enough to follow the BNP is incapable of being professional and putting those views to one side, in my opinion.

I'm not the only one who agrees with this move, so why just tell me I'm stupid and not in the real world?
  • Options
  • Options
    Ah yeh. I got the wrong conclusion.

I've thought about this a bit more, and although on first hearing it, I thought it was good, I can see the limitations.

How do you actually "be a member of a party" anyway? Who you vote for is confidential, no-one can bar you from jobs because of that.
  • Options
    Ah yeh. I got the wrong conclusion.

I've thought about this a bit more, and although on first hearing it, I thought it was good, I can see the limitations.

How do you actually "be a member of a party" anyway? Who you vote for is confidential, no-one can bar you from jobs because of that.

by being a paid up member of the party surely