Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Why hate the Jews?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, there's something I don't understand. When people talk about racism and prejudice it is often the case that one of the persecuted groups is the jews! I don't get why this is, they're just another religion like any other, not a race of people or anything. Xenophobes are racist against people with different skin colours but I just don't get what it is with people with different beleifs. I mean, people may have no problems with Muslims or Hindus but not like Jews :confused: have they wronged us in another universe? I just don't get why they are so targetted, most notably by the Nazis, and the Romans as well I think...

p.s I would not like to start an argument about Israel here :p

Comments

• Options
    There are a number of sources for anti-semitism.

Some Christian sects hated/hate them due to Jews crucifing Jesus.

I think Nazis hated them because they felt Jews had a conspiracy to rule the world.

Personally I think historically most anti-semitism was based on plain envy! In the Middle Ages, Jews were often amongst the richest people in those societies. Certainly in the 19th century, Jews were often wealthy factory owners.
  • Options
    Wasn't that my point?!:confused::)
  • Options
    I don't mind Jews as I used to know one... But I still think that Christians get a raw deal too. Poltical correctness doesn't protect Christians...

And as for Jews... People still listen to them more than they do to us Pagans (who pretty much have no rights whatsoever).
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    I agree. Christianity is genrally laffed at but no one really goes far enough to take it affensive. If a comment was said about islam there would be an up roar.

Yupyup... Definately. Political correctness = selective compassion.
  • Options
    many lies have been told about the jews for centuries ...they will eat your children ...they are planning to take over the world ...plus the christian church over the centuries ...especialy the catholic church have attacked them at every opportunity simply because ...the jews were basicaly money lenders/investors in hard cash/gold/jewels and semi precious stones.
    the spice trade was backed by jewish investment.
    all this being good at playing monopoly ...often gave them one in almost every place they have wandered and settled.
    money the christians would have liked to have had control over but couldn't because the new testament ...lays out very strict limits on christians lending money. in the past these rules were quite strictly adhered to ...don't think it will be now though. so the jewish blokes had free reign realy.
    the jews have been a cornerstone in investment for centuries ...bound to bring them trouble.
    apart from being shrewd with dosh ...always remember ...the real reason is because they eat gentile babies ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaptin pikarrrd
    Personally I think historically most anti-semitism was based on plain envy! In the Middle Ages, Jews were often amongst the richest people in those societies. Certainly in the 19th century, Jews were often wealthy factory owners.

Even now in America, where many Jews are proffessionals. A family friend married a Jewish guy, and all six of his siblings were doctors or lawyers.

And I hope this comment won't be taken any further, but being anti-Israel is not being anti-Semitic.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio

being anti-Israel is not being anti-Semitic.
    surely you mean being anti sharon?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    surely you mean being anti sharon?

Not really. Some people disagree with the way, where and how it was set up.
  • Options
    I call my sister a Jew all the time, but I'm only joking, and I'd be surprised if I called a Jewish person a "fucking Jew!" in a joke sense and they were offended. My sister calls me a "homo", "puff", "fag", "queer" or "gay" all the time, usually with the "F" word beforehand, but I don't take it offensively, so why should Jewish people?
  • Options
    Jews do need a homeland, it's been created, put up with it!

D'oh! I don't disagree with there being a Jewish homeland. Did I even say I felt that way? No.

People call anyone who disagrees in the ways which I mentioned above anti-Semitic. If someone disagrees with, say, Sharon, it does not mean they hate Jews.
    They don't take it personal. It's Muslism who do, try calling a muslim " a fuckiang muslim" and see what happens...

Know a lot of Jews and a lot of Muslims then, do you?
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    Not really. Some people disagree with the way, where and how it was set up.
    with you now.
  • Options
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    I call my sister a Jew all the time, but I'm only joking, and I'd be surprised if I called a Jewish person a "fucking Jew!" in a joke sense and they were offended. My sister calls me a "homo", "puff", "fag", "queer" or "gay" all the time, usually with the "F" word beforehand, but I don't take it offensively, so why should Jewish people?

It’s okay to insult and take the piss out of yourself and your own ethnicity…like you can insult your mum but you’ll get pissed off if your mates do.

If you’re gay it’s okay to take the piss out of gays. If you’re Jewish it’s okay to take the piss out of Jews.

Like if you’re black you can say n****r. (Rap lyrics...)

I’m guessing you call your sister a Jew when your annoyed with her? So your basically using the word Jew instead of calling her an idiot or something? If that’s the case then yeah it is offensive. And unless you’re Jewish I wouldn’t call somebody a ‘fucking Jew’ unless you know them well and that they won’t be offended.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    It’s okay to insult and take the piss out of yourself and your own ethnicity…like you can insult your mum but you’ll get pissed off if your mates do.

If you’re gay it’s okay to take the piss out of gays. If you’re Jewish it’s okay to take the piss out of Jews.

I’m guessing you call your sister a Jew when your annoyed with her? So your basically using the word Jew instead of calling her an idiot or something? If that’s the case then yeah it is offensive. And unless you’re Jewish I wouldn’t call somebody a ‘fucking Jew’ unless you know them well and that they won’t be offended.

what bout white rappers?

i take piss out of gay mates for being gay and they take piss back, its all fair

over 70% of jewish people are of the same ethnicity, cant remember what it is, type of eastern european i believe, and well only they were allowed to lend money and charge interest, thus making them be seen as greedy

all a pile of crap really
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    what bout white rappers?

i take piss out of gay mates for being gay and they take piss back, its all fair

over 70% of jewish people are of the same ethnicity, cant remember what it is, type of eastern european i believe, and well only they were allowed to lend money and charge interest, thus making them be seen as greedy

all a pile of crap really

What about white, gay rappers? Q-Boy! ;) He's pretty good and his lyrics are funny. Well when I said rappers I meant black rappers who use that word a lot...

Yeah it’s all fair, like goodness gracious me. Most groups can take the piss out of themselves and have a laugh…It’s recognising the difference between having a laugh and nasty, offensive stuff (like racist jokes)
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo

I think the point is exactly that - they are your mates. Would be different if someone else did it ....
  • Options

I would be interested to know why you call her a "fucking Jew". What is your perception of Jews that should make this an acceptable insult?

I presume that your sister (like you) is not Jewish whereas you are in fact gay. Big difference. Do you approve when people, who don't even know you, call you a homo, puff, fag etc? Probably not.

So it is not acceptable to make offensive comments about Jews.

And as has already been posted on this board, there is a difference between hating the actions of the Israelis and hating Jews. Not all Jews are Israelis and not all Israelis are Jews.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Teagan
    I think the point is exactly that - they are your mates. Would be different if someone else did it ....

yeh cause itd just be plain stupid to say something like to someone you dont know

and chao_insomniac - it isnt particulary tasteful to call r sister a jew, not cause your dissing your sister, but cause JUST WHAT IS WRONG WITH JEWS in first place?
  • Options

Seconded.

chaos_insomniac, I am positive that you don't mean any harm by what you say, but it is small stuff like that which keeps prejudices going. Not only towards Jews, but also other minorities.

Shyboy, Jews are precieved as a people with a certain religion whom have been scattered around the world. So saying that it is merely a religion, would be wrong.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    I don't mind Jews as I used to know one... But I still think that Christians get a raw deal too. Poltical correctness doesn't protect Christians...

But there has been a traditional hatred of Jews and not Christians (certainly not to the same extent).

Is religious prejudice that bad a thing though? One can always change their religion, so it's not a permanent or inherent thing!
  • Options
    Of course religious prejudice is a bad thing! Nobody should have to or feel the need to change their religion to avoid prejudice. Also, in Judaism for instance even a Jew who converts to a different faith is still ethnically Jewish.
  • Options
    They don't take it personal. It's Muslism who do, try calling a muslim " a fuckiang muslim" and see what happens...

If i randomly went up to a muslim dude and said that id get a slap. If i randomly went up to a jewish dude and said "u fucking jew" id get a slap too.

Saying that Jews get more prejudice than other religions is not true.

Christians get stick for being suposedly strict and for having "paedos" for leaders. Muslims get stick for suposedly being sexist and terrorists.

infact i think you would find that in general Jews arent victimised nearly as often as other religions.
    Jews do need a homeland, it's been created, put up with it!

Its the equivalent of someone saying before WWII "oh Hitler is butchering all the Jews, its his country, put up with it!"

Just because something has happened doesnt mean it isnt wrong and should be contested.

Fact is any racism is totally wrong, but being anti-israel does not make you a Jew hater.
  • Options

actually, I call my sister a Jew all the time. When I'm angry at her I walk off. We do not have slagging matches, and never have childish name calling matches when we're angry.

And as far as if you're gay it's ok to take the piss outta gays, some of my mates are gay, but even the straight ones call me gay names. It's a joke. I don't take offense when random people shout homophobic comments at me either. I'm proud of who I am so why should I care if someone calls me silly little names? Words don't hurt me, unless it's from my friends and they actually mean to hurt me, which I think you'll agree is almost never.
  • Options
    actually, I call my sister a Jew all the time. When I'm angry at her I walk off. We do not have slagging matches, and never have childish name calling matches when we're angry.

And as far as if you're gay it's ok to take the piss outta gays, some of my mates are gay, but even the straight ones call me gay names. It's a joke. I don't take offense when random people shout homophobic comments at me either. I'm proud of who I am so why should I care if someone calls me silly little names? Words don't hurt me, unless it's from my friends and they actually mean to hurt me, which I think you'll agree is almost never.

There's a difference though. You or your friends using references to gays is ok, as everyone knows you're joking as you yourself are gay.
    It's like me and my friends laughing about being cheap (stereotypical Jews are cheap) or whatever, but would never dream of calling any friend "homo" just for the fun of it, even if it isn't a demeaning thing, but one does make it demeaning by using it in that context.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaptin pikarrrd
    But there has been a traditional hatred of Jews and not Christians (certainly not to the same extent).

Depends where you are from. I have just got back from India and Christians are only just tolerated there with very little chance of climbing the ranks in any government office. Likewise, in many Islamic countries, Christians are persecuted in the same way etc

But Jews have been 'traditionally' hated because the early church wanted to get rid of them and they were cast as "Jesus killers", their 'hooked' noses likened to demons and witches ... and in this country, even Shakespeare took up the stereotype with Shylock.
  • Options
    The Nazi's presecuted the Jews in particular because they were basically an easy target. Before the Nazi's, the Jews were persecuted all across Europe for thousands of years. Hitler used that as an excuse and also called them impure German blood. He felt that no true German has Jewish blood in him, but only "German" blood.

During the Roman ages, it was first the Christians who were slain and torn apart in the Colosseum, but when the Romans announced the national religion of Rome is Christianity, the Jews were then tortured in the Colosseum because they apparently crucified Jesus.

All in all the Jews have always been persecuted. For thousands of years they were looked down upon by the whole continent of Europe. It makes one an easy target when so many millions have hated him before.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Teen Spirit

Saying that Jews get more prejudice than other religions is not true.

Well traditionally Jews have been persecuted more than any other religion. And I still believe that Jews get prejudice in the UK. For instance Ken Livingstone recently welcomed a Muslim scholar who condoned using suicide bombers to kill Jews. (This Muslim scholar also did not differentiate between Israelis and Jews, although I find anybody condoning the use of suicide bombs against Israelis equally offensive).

Christians get stick for being suposedly strict and for having "paedos" for leaders.

What do you mean - 'supposedly strict'? Some Christians are strict, some are not - it's the same in Islam and Judaism. I don't get the point you're trying to make. Regarding having paedophiles for leaders well there's no supposedly about it; the Catholic Church does have a problem with paedophile Priests. I don't have anything at all against Catholics but recognising that paedophiles exist within the Catholic Church doesn't make somebody anti-Catholic!

Muslims get stick for suposedly being sexist and terrorists.

Well again there is no supposedly about it - there are some terrorists who are Muslims and do things in the name of their religion. Again, we're talking about a small minority. And to call all Muslims terrorists would be like saying all Catholics are in the IRA. Regarding sexism - in some, certainly not all Muslim countries women are treated very poorly. Not all Muslims are sexist, but a significant percentage are. In Saudi Arabia for instance women are not allowed to drive - I call that sexist!

infact i think you would find that in general Jews arent victimised nearly as often as other religions.

I don't have statistics but I know that anti-Semitism is rising. In this country as well as abroad. Look at the rise of anti-Semitism in France for instance.

Its the equivalent of someone saying before WWII "oh Hitler is butchering all the Jews, its his country, put up with it!"

Just because something has happened doesnt mean it isnt wrong and should be contested.

Fact is any racism is totally wrong, but being anti-israel does not make you a Jew hater.

Being anti-Israel does not necessarily make somebody a Jew hater. However, how come people consistently pick on Israel time after time to attack Israel citing human rights abuses and such and then ignore and turn a blind eye to the abuses going on in Zimbabwe, Tibet and Arab nations?

For instance if Israel followed the Arabs example of chopping people’s hands off or stoning women to death there would be absolute outrage. Yet the Arabs do this and few people care.

Why are people so obsessed with Israel? Is it because it’s a Jewish state?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Shyboy, Jews are precieved as a people with a certain religion whom have been scattered around the world. So saying that it is merely a religion, would be wrong.

But surely that's the same thing? Because you can 'become' a member of that group of people (though apparently it's more difficult) and can carry the beleifs just like any other religion? I mean you could in some way say every religion is a people with a certain religion?

But that's not relevant anyway, I just didn't understand why they are excessively victimised when there are so few of them in proportion. It's not like you get anti-Jehova's Witness mobs..
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    But surely that's the same thing? Because you can 'become' a member of that group of people (though apparently it's more difficult) and can carry the beleifs just like any other religion? I mean you could in some way say every religion is a people with a certain religion?

But that's not relevant anyway, I just didn't understand why they are excessively victimised when there are so few of them in proportion. It's not like you get anti-Jehova's Witness mobs..

No... Judaism is believed to be an ethnicity. I know quite a lot of people who wouldn't hesitate calling themselves Jews, but rather as a cultural thing than a religious one. On the other hand, you wont get people saying I am a cultural Muslim or whatever. With most other religions, either you belong to it or you don't.

And in relation to your general question - as others have said people always need a scape-goat in one way or another, Jews had a lot of traits which made them suitable for this.
    First and foremost in the diaspora Jews have always been the minority, which is always an easy target.
    Secondly Jews have many times kept to themselves. Easier to uphold traditions that way. People are always afraid of the unknown, so a lot of myths started. Such as Jews killing Christian kids and using it for Matza ("bread used for Passover").
    Thirdly, Jews weren't granted any rights and weren't allowed to own land in most countries, so as morroccan mentioned they specialised in hand-crafts which they could take with them, and finance which Christians weren't allowed to get involved with. Obviously, when you deal with finance you do get many cases of wealthy people. And people better off econimcally is a cause of envy.

Stuff like that has triggered it off during the times really.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    No... Judaism is believed to be an ethnicity. I know quite a lot of people who wouldn't hesitate calling themselves Jews, but rather as a cultural thing than a religious one. On the other hand, you wont get people saying I am a cultural Muslim or whatever. With most other religions, either you belong to it or you don't.

And in relation to your general question - as others have said people always need a scape-goat in one way or another, Jews had a lot of traits which made them suitable for this.
    First and foremost in the diaspora Jews have always been the minority, which is always an easy target.
    Secondly Jews have many times kept to themselves. Easier to uphold traditions that way. People are always afraid of the unknown, so a lot of myths started. Such as Jews killing Christian kids and using it for Matza ("bread used for Passover").
    Thirdly, Jews weren't granted any rights and weren't allowed to own land in most countries, so as morroccan mentioned they specialised in hand-crafts which they could take with them, and finance which Christians weren't allowed to get involved with. Obviously, when you deal with finance you do get many cases of wealthy people. And people better off econimcally is a cause of envy.

Stuff like that has triggered it off during the times really.
    and somehow ...just somehow ...we need to find a way to stop all this hatred ...the same old old crap ...generation after generation ...guess what?
    remove mens religion ...and you have removed the biggest barrier to men ever becoming brothyj rers.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    and somehow ...just somehow ...we need to find a way to stop all this hatred ...the same old old crap ...generation after generation ...guess what?
    remove mens religion ...and you have removed the biggest barrier to men ever becoming brothyj rers.

No you haven't. You've simply removed liberty.
    What people don't get is that religion is one way to gain spirituality of some sense.
    That leaders over time has turned it into a political tool is another matter.