Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Picture ?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Kermit
    If you've never seen the London Eye you won't know what it was.

You misunderstood me. I was trying to point out we can't know it all with what's in the UK, no matter what country we're from. Including famous buildings, etc. Sometimes we can be forgetful, or damn right ignorant - I mean, it's such a crime that Richeh didn't recognise the London Eye :rolleyes: .....how ever will he cope to live on :p
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by Cruel2BKind
    You know alot about Scotland then? Or Wales or Northern Ireland?

Girly we can't know it all, like your precious self.

but the london eye is a huge landmark that was built in order to commemorate the new millenium.

however, my point was not that i knew it all, it was the fact that people think that scottish people do not know anything about england and that it is a small country stuck somewhere in the middle of nowhere. it was the scotland comment that got to me, rather than the fact that the original poster did not know what the london eye was.
  • Options
    The money stays in their poncey little clique, and the rest of Leeds is still the shithole it was 20 years ago.

it's changed loads, i reckon. especially the suburbs. chapel allerton used to be a right nasty area, full of 'immigrants and prossies' (according to my dad. he has such a way with words). now it's one of the most desirable areas in leeds. as far as an area can be desirable.

our house is at least 6 times more valuable now than it was when we bought it 17 years ago.

i don't know if you remember the city centre way back when, but it was absolutely shite. like, really really shite. we used to go into harrogate cause there were better shops. our bus station was beyond shit. there's no real expression of exactly how poo it was. ditto train station. ditto bars, shops, nightlife.

we did have a better football team back then though :chin:

can't have everything.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    our bus station was beyond shit. there's no real expression of exactly how poo it was. ditto train station.

Five leaky bus shelters that stunk of piss, if I remember rightly. As for the old Leeds station, it should have been bombed into a million pieces.

Things have got better everywhere though, Newcastle is a gorgeous city now.

For every success there's a Holbeck and Halton Moor though *sigh*
  • Options
    Originally posted by littlemissy
    but the london eye is a huge landmark that was built in order to commemorate the new millenium.

however, my point was not that i knew it all, it was the fact that people think that scottish people do not know anything about england and that it is a small country stuck somewhere in the middle of nowhere. it was the scotland comment that got to me, rather than the fact that the original poster did not know what the london eye was.

He probably is a aware of the London Eye, just never seen it to recognise it.

Yes he's Scottish, the girl had a point - Of course the lad is going to know a bit more about Scotland than England - Just like I'm sure you couldn't tell me too much about Nortern Irelands Trademarks - Like I care, if you don't. I would just except that you would know more about your home than mine.
  • Options
    Cruel2BKind, I think you're mising the point.

Littlemissy wasn't remotely bothered about his recognition of the London Eye, she was annoyed at Stressed for stating that the only reason why he doesn't know is because he is Scottish. Implying, of course, that all Scots are bumpkin yokels who know the square root of fuck-all.

But hey, Stressed is wrong. As per. Can we just stop bickering now?

On a random tangent, I want to kill the person who designed this keyboard.
  • Options
    Cruel2BKind, I think you're mising the point.

Littlemissy wasn't remotely bopthered about his recognition of the London Eye, she was annoyed at Stressed fir stating that the only reason why he doesn't know is because he is Scottish. Implying, of course, that all Scots are bumpkin yoeksl who know the square root of fuck-all.

But hey, Stressed is wrong. As per. Can we just stop bickering now?

But how do you know Stressed was cricitising - she could have just realised, well you're from Scotland and sooo we can't expect ya to know the trademarks in London like she wouldnt like to be expected to know all all the trademarks in his country. Like she was just giving him a break. Not crictisiin all Scots
  • Options
    :eek2:

im very scottish actually. born, brought up in scotland.

:)

So you don't have an English parent and you weren't brought up down South?.....

Then who the fudge said this to me?
  • Options
    I didn't say Stresed was criticising, I said Stresed was implying that Scottish people are bumpkin yokels who know the square root of fuck all.

And intentionally or not, that's what she did. Him being Scottish doesn't explain why he didn't know what the London Eye was, and to say that is deeply insulting.
  • Options
    Him being Scottish doesn't explain why he didn't know what the London Eye was, and to say that is deeply insulting.

Why is it deeply insulting? I offer my shoulder for you to cry on - it's ok Kermit, let it out... :p
  • Options
    Why is it deeply insulting? I offer my shoulder for you to cry on - it's ok Kermit, let it out... :p

:crying: NObody love me, it's all evil, and I even know what the sodding London Eye is. It's just a big lump of metal ruining County Hall, and I don't even care and everyone is just such a big MEANIE! :crying:
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    So you don't have an English parent and you weren't brought up down South?.....

not me. i was brought up in scotland.
  • Options
    Why is it deeply insulting?

because we are not bumpkin yokels who know the square root of fuck all.
  • Options
    Christ, this thread is still going, and I thought it would have died after one page. :p
  • Options
    :crying: NObody love me, it's all evil, and I even know what the sodding London Eye is. It's just a big lump of metal ruining County Hall, and I don't even care and everyone is just such a big MEANIE! :crying:

Awww.... *loadz of hugz*
    You hit it on the button - It's just a heap of metal which is why no one cares about the London Eye so why should we care if anyone can recognise it.

Anyone bullies ya again, you let me know and I'll sort them out... :p
  • Options

Good for you hun :thumb:
  • Options
    This is a bit off topic, but a lot of Scottish people (especially people born and bred in Edinburgh are Glasgow) are notoriously insular, a lot like Londoners are.

A shockingly high number of them seem to think that all you get north of Hamilton is big hills and sheep, and IMHO the most beautiful and interesting parts of Scotland (Loch Lomond apart) are in the northern bit of the country.

Not saying you don't get utter ignorance here too, someone at work today thought that scampi was just another name for chicken nuggets :yeees:
  • Options
    Good for you hun :thumb:

:rolleyes:

re bri's comments: i agree with him whole-heartedly. i come from remote highlands and i think i come from one of the most gorgeous places in the world. i have not come across a place like it in britain and i feel very lucky to have grown up there. however, when people say that you come from the isle of skye they think that we dont have electricity, have to hunt for dinner and live in caves. i was actually asked by a friend of mine (from london) whether we actually had electricity or television (no joke)

but yes. we have stupid people too.
  • Options

When you think about it, Scotland gets both Scottish and UK newspapers/TV programmes etc, so we've probably got more idea about things like the London Eye than a lot of English people would about things like the Falkirk Wheel etc.

The educated English people could tell you plenty about Scotland mind, the stupid "OMG you all eat haggis!!!" brigade do irk me somewhat.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    The educated English people could tell you plenty about Scotland mind, the stupid "OMG you all eat haggis!!!" brigade do irk me somewhat.

:lol: so true :lol:
  • Options
    wow.. i only asked what it was in the picture :p

I dont know simply because i havent seen it advertised, yes ive seen a glimpse of it in a couple of tv shows, but as i havent seen it advertised up here ( either on tv, nor do i recall having seen it in papers or anything) how am i to know what it is.

but thats me personally

Like i said i lead a sheltered life :(:p
  • Options
    oh i've been on that it's very good!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    right ...if none of you can reconise such a landmark in your own capital city

but richeh's capital city is edinburgh and the london eye is in london funnily enough
  • Options
    everyone knows the answer is zero ...fucking hell scottish people aye!
  • Options

is it really?? i didnt know that :eek:
  • Options

I may well be wrong but I'm sure it's impossible to have zero as a square root. Fucking old hippy stoners aye!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Infinite
    I may well be wrong but I'm sure it's impossible to have zero as a square root. Fucking old hippy stoners aye!
    sorry my mistake ...it's the round root.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    It's even worse when people call Scotland England :mad:

Because we OWN you :lol:

Pw3nd, we're l337.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Infinite

it is impossible, yes.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    Because we OWN you :lol:

Pw3nd, we're l337.
    exactly! we rule ok ...edin wotsit is only a token capital ...keep the jocks happy.
    where do your taxes go again? who owns the oil and gas?