Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Farenheit 9/11

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    "democrats for Bush"

"turkeys for Christmas"

:confused: There're some weird people around...
  • Options
    Well they don't say "only in America" for nothing, my friend ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Well they don't say "only in America" for nothing, my friend ;)

:D

Though democrats for bush does seem to be the most bizarre thing I've heard of for a while. Perhaps I'm asleep...
  • Options
    i don't know what's up with all this democratic stuff but i defenetly am NOT a dem. i don't know when people started thinking that there are only two kinds of political parties but i think we need to reevaluate. there are many people (although sadly not enough for people in other countries to notice them) that don't agree with bush OR any of the other people who are running for prez. i'm just trying to point out that you don't have to be a democrat to disagree with bush.
  • Options
    Thus we also have Republicans for Kerry...

http://www.republicansforkerry.org/

http://www.republicansforkerry04.com/

And of course there are the remainder of us Independents who (as you say) find ourselves sadly forced into a choice between two corporate pandering candidates and little hope for a true progressive platform anytime soon.
  • Options
    I was very disappointed with Farenheit 9/11.

It wasnt even close to Roger and Me, which was a hard hitting and effective piece of journalism. It didnt even have the impact of Bowling For Columbine.

Looks like Moore is losing his touch.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Thus we also have Republicans for Kerry...

http://www.republicansforkerry.org/

http://www.republicansforkerry04.com/

And of course there are the remainder of us Independents who (as you say) find ourselves sadly forced into a choice between two corporate pandering candidates and little hope for a true progressive platform anytime soon.
    in the uk it's maggie or her son tony ...democratic choice my fucking arse ...talk about confusion ...the blind leading the fucking blind ...where did it all go wrong?
  • Options
  • Options
    There there, don't cry GWST, just some light hearted ribbing!
  • Options
    An article with real balance that I feel obliged to disseminate further...

This Land
  • Options
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    An article with real balance that I feel obliged to disseminate further...

This Land
    love it!
  • Options
    GWST and I finally got to go and see it last night.

All this political discussion seems to be missing the point that the film was shite :lol:
  • Options
    So I was meant to see Fahrenheit 9/11 with my cousin tomorrow, up until I read in a discussion on LJ that Moore was against the screening of the film in Israel in the first place. Fair enough, my money will go on cds instead.

Either way here's a point of view by sockmonkey13 on LiveJournal
    I find it interesting, (I'd almost say funny, if it didn't make me so fucking sad) that every time someone criticises Michael Moore, they are immediately labeled right wing and Bush supporting. I think this tendancy is going to be something that comes to bite the left on the ass. Why? Because Michael Moore is nothing more than the left wing Rush Limbaugh.

I'm a, what did they call it on Air America a few weeks ago, card-carrying, ikea-shopping, cappachino-drinking, volvo-driving, caring-about-the-poor, war-oppsing Liberal. (though I don't drink cappachino becuase I don't consume coffee, and I only wish I owned a volvo though a mid 80s boxy non sleek dependable volvo.) and I am quickly developing a vitriolic hate for Michael Moore. Previously it was just dislike, a dislike which started with an article in Might Magazine that demonstrated that while Michael Moore thinks he has a rollicking good sense of humour he clearly does not.

I think that Michael Moore is dangerous, only not in the way that we on the left would actually like him to be. He is dangerous first of all in that he dares to call himself a documentary filmmaker. I was a film major, I spent years studying film and my second favourite genre of films is the documentary. It is a glaring insult to real documentarians to call what Moore puts together a documentary. I think that from a film critique standpoint, Faranheit proves quite clearly that when a documentary with the power to really be quite moving falls into his lap he doesn't know what to do with it and just muddles along. Moore creates propaganda pure and simple, just because the side he makes propaganda for happens to be the side your political beliefs does not makie it any less propaganda.

Why calling his work documeatary makes him dangerous is that the term documentary is associated with facts and truth, just like when the everage American tunes into a channel called Fox News they expect to see news and facts reported objectively, and as we know that is not the case. Blurring the line between fact and things pulled out of your ass or half facts skillfully used to try to support your opinion is dangerous in a society where most people are too lazy to check facts for themselves and assume anything with a believable sounding bibliography attatched to be true. This is my second reason for finding him dangerous, he's irresponsible. Everyone is entitled to have an opinion, they are also entitled to pursue a craft that they are good at and enjoy, however when you take on the robe of journalist, or documentary maker, there is a certain responsibilty that comes eith it, he calls himself both of these things on his own free will. I happen to think that Leni Riefenstahl was an incredibly gifted photographer and film maker, however I find it appalling and irresponsible for her to have used those gifts to work for Hitler and it was a choice that haunted and plagued her the rest of her career and life.
  • Options
    its showing in my town next week :eek: :hyper: :hyper:
  • Options
    Finally got to see this last night. It was pretty good. I have never seen footage from Iraq before. It certainly makes you realise it is much worse out there than the news can ever tell you.
  • Options
    I thought it was quite good as well, informative and nice to see someone other than a war crazy nutbar talk about the war on tv.
  • Options
    Sounds like a film version of 'Dude where's my country' is this the case?
  • Options
    Saw it tonight.

Resembles Columbine a lot. Same style. Raises a lot of interesting points. Doesn't follow them to the end, and knows how make things appear as he wants them to.

Even some friends who agree a 100% with the actual message of the movie complained that they can't "believe" what he says because of the evident twists.