Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Should Blunket be able to control police chief's?

Is it right that Blunket has the right to sack any police chief?

He seems to be getting more and more authorotarian and far right wing in terms of crime and punishment.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If they are not doing their job properly then by all means, but I feel that Mr Blunkett does pander to a certain section of the press far too often.
  • Options
    Shall we go through the crime statistics again?

Do you understand the encroachments Blunket has made on the right to trial, inocent till proven guilty and other basic human rights?
  • Options
    Blunkett is a very scary and sinister man. He's media-obsessed and plays to the tune of the tabloids insted of doing his job.

When you get a right wing tosspiece like the S*n singing the praises of a Labour Home Secretary so often and freely, you know there must be something very wrong with the man.

This case is yet another example of knee-jerk reaction and exceeding one's powers in order to appeal to the populace and the Murdoch press. It is not the role of the Home Secretary to sack police chiefs (or increase jail sentences of inmates and otherwise interfere with the judicial process- something that Home Secretaries from both parties have taken a liking to).
  • Options
    Technically though it is now his legal right.

I must say his comments about that man convicted during Euro 2004 were classic. 'I want to nail him'.

Given that the man in question was given no legal advice, the court was held in Portugese and he wasnt translated to and the trial lasted all of about 20 mins.

A shockingly unfair trial and for Blunket to wade in with comments like his is foul.
  • Options
    If people listen to the Sun and they speak the truth about crime why is the fear of crime going up and up and actual crime rates going down?
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    The Sun speaks a lot of sense when it comes to crime.

Ever likely Blunkett is listening to the sun other than the Guardian, people who are affecte dby crimes are most likely to be reading a tabloid.
    The S*n hasn't got a bloody clue what it's talking about.

On the one hand it predictably and pathetically adopts the full knee-jerk reaction ("Hang paedos!" "Lock criminals up and throw away the key!") without even attempting to comprehend the causes of crime, and on the other hand it supports other types of crime, such as the right to murder gypsy children if they enter your property or the right to drive at any speed one fancies without being punished for it.
  • Options
    do you realise how many unreported crimes their are? Millions. Scum Bags around my end, terroise people but no one reports it hardly. Why? Nothing gets done. we all want them locked up, but government ay no!

First of all the British Crime Survey takes into account non-reporting and they say that crime is falling.

Secondly just locking people up just doesnt work, its not as simple as that.
  • Options
    here we go again, liberal apprach.

what about the victems eh? we are always worse off with this stupid government.

But we're not, the NHS is improving, school standards are going up, personal wealth is going up, crime is falling....we havent had it this good for at the very least 15 years.
  • Options
    Are you suggesting that Aladdin and I are 'on the side of the scum bags'?

Niether or us are in any way defending the actions of criminals, where did we say that?

The National Crime Survey takes into account non-reporting because it contacts people directly to ask if they have been a victim of crime. It is externaly audited and is seen as reliable.
  • Options
    What?!

I'm not believing scum bags, I am taking into account enternally audited figures which are backed up.

I'm sorry you have had personal experience of crime, so have I not so long ago. But I still firmly believe that crime is going down.

Of course there are daily horrible crimes, yes, and of course you can always produce a long list of those who have been victims. But thats not really how statistics work is it.

Statistically people are less likely to be a victim of crime now than they have been in a long while.
  • Options
    Do you know how expencive it is to lock someone up?

The amount we spend on prison is stupidly high, the re-offending rates are horrific.

If we put anywhere near the money we spend on prisons onto try to prevent crime we could make a huge impact.

But then prison goes down well with the electorate and trying to help young offenders doesnt.
  • Options
    here we go again, liberal apprach.

what about the victems eh? we are always worse off with this stupid government.
    The victims? Yes let's talk about the victims shall we?

Case study number one: A 16 year old child is summarily executed by a gunshot to the back for the "hideous" crime of breaking and entering. The perpetrator took aim and shot to kill and by all accounts it is a cold blooded murder. But thanks to a hate campaign by the right wing tabloid press the murderer has his sentence commuted to manslaughter and freed after only 4 years.

Who was thinking about the victim and his family? Certainly not the S*n and the Daily HateMail!

Case study number two: a small child has been run down and killed by yet another speeding driver. The driver was driving at more than 40 mph in a 30mph limit but knew there were no cameras in the area. Thanks to the endless campaign by the S*n and the HateMail to "stop persecuting drivers" :rolleyes: , further deployment of speed cameras has stopped so Middle England can drive at any speed it deems convenient.

Who is thinking of the 1,400 or so victims who die every year on our roads due to speeding? Certainly not the Scum and the BlackMail!
  • Options
    Exactly, speeding drivers know what they are doing is wrong, they should be just as liable as any other criminal.
  • Options
    see your sticking up for them.

forget the costs, it's well worth it, lock them bloody up!

No, but your missing the point, locking them up does NOT work.

Most dangerous criminals are desperate people, they dont care about prison because they either a) dont think they'll get caught or b) need something badly enough to risk it what ever happens.

So what difference does it make to them whether the sentance is 5, 10 or 100 years.

And I am not sticking up for them. I dont want to spend money on criminals, I resent my tax money going on them. BUT I know, that treatment for addicts and help for offenders is far more cost effective than just locking them up.

Its simple really.
  • Options
    Lukesh; If your in favor of the 'Tony Martin Law' are you in favor of the death sentance for all those guilty of breaking and entering?
  • Options
    Your appear not to be listening.

I am suggesting that the evidence shows that if you help drug addicts and young offenders there will be much less crime.

So you wouldnt have to pay for them all to be 'locked up'.

So are you in favor of the death penalty for breaking and entering then?
  • Options
    No, of course its not alright for anyone to hold an ILLEGAL firearm, which I may remind you Tony Martin had.

What is the difference between Tony Martins Law and the death penalty for all those guilty of breaking and entering?

And of course offenders need to 'pay' for their crimes, but pure punishment alone doesnt bring down crime.
  • Options
    Case Study 1: Tony Martin law brilliant law, puts us, the victims first!
    The victim here was the kid who was murdered.

Are you advocating the death penalty for burglary? Is that what you're saying? That practically anyone who commits a crime should be killed?
    Case Study 2: This Government is obsessed with minor crimes and locking people up for driving at 30.01 MPH.
    Stop making things up.

Cameras don't make distinctions between day and night. Cameras don't flash at 31, 32 or even 34 mph in most cases. Cameras flash at those who are going at more than 10% + 2mph. That's > 35mph in a 30 mph area, > 46mph in a 40 mph area, > 57mph in a 50 mph area and so on.

If you think that's tough, well don't break the law and you won't get fined. Precisely what you and people like you like to say to others...
    Just think of all them who are murdered, abused etc etc bullied. certainly not the left who think of them!
    Stop making things up. At no point has the government or "the left" (whoever they might be) said or thought victims of crime don't reserve support or recognition.

Give us some evidence that the government does not think of the victims then.
  • Options
    they shouldn't be on someones property, it's NOT theirs! Simple Rule, Simple to understand.
    If a member of your family got into an argument with me over traffic or something, and they verbally assaulted me, can I murder them?

They shouldn't insult me, so presumably it's okay to murder them, correct?
  • Options
    Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Nobody has the right to commit a crime- that's why it's illegal. Nobody has the right to insult you. Nobody has the right to punch you in the face. Nobody has the right to steal your wallet.

SO, WOULD YOU ADVOCATE SHOOTING SOMEONE DEAD BECAUSE THEY INSULT YOU, OR BECAUSE THEY'VE NICKED YOUR WALLET???
  • Options
    The point of Tony 'fat murdering bastard' Martin is that he was not defending his person or his property. The point with Martin's case is that he carefully took aim and shot at the kid as he was running away and out of the property.

Can't you really tell the difference?
  • Options
    If you are going to be talking about something Luke, try to know the basics of it.

Tony Martin was not in danger. Tony Martin was found to carefully take aim and shoot at the kid as he was running away. That is that the court found. That is why his original convinction was murder.

And no, that's not from the Guardian. That is from countless media outlets both left and right wing.

So what do you have to say now?
  • Options
    Ah look who's changing subject now! :D

So do you admit now that Tony Martin is a murderer? Or do you still believe that a person deserves to die for burglary?
  • Options
    There is already provision in the law for using reasonable force. The so-called 'Tony Martin's law' is a load of nonsense and those who coined the term are simply seeking for the right to shoot people dead simply for being on their property, even if their lives are not in any kind of danger.

If you or your family are being threatened then I don't have a problem. But to say that anyone who steals or attempts to steal should be killed is fucking disgusting and atrocious.

So I put it to you again: should we give the death penalty to common thieves and pickpockets?
  • Options
    yet again, your showing that you don't understand the Tony Martin law. it says that you can use force such as a gun ONLY when they are attacking you, thats what it says. It doesn't at all say that you should shoot someone for stepping one toe on yor property.
    As that would correctly be "disgusting and atrocious".
    Well that is EXACTLY what the tabloid press (and even broadsheets that should know better such as the 'illustruous' Daily Telegraph have been campaigning.

Stealing something or burgling a house, repugnant crimes as they are, do not merit being murdered for.
  • Options
    The law at the moment states that you can defend yourself and your property with REASONABLE FORCE.

In the Tony Martin's Case he delibrately used his gun which he SHOULD NOT OF HAVED and SHOT SOMEONE IN THE BACK WHEN HE WAS RUNNING AWAY.

He was very lucky in my opinion
  • Options
    How would you know what tabloids have been saying if you don't even read them?
    Have you heard of the internet Luke? It's an amazing invention that allows you to check and share documents, files and images. ;)

Yes I have read many column inches from the tabloids and the broadsheets regarding Tony Martin. To this day the aformentioned papers are still spitting blood about the fact that their hero was even imprisoned for one day. Even though they're fully aware of the situation in which he shot the kid.

You make of it what you want- I think the message from these papers is clear...
  • Options
    Lukesh, you have no idea what your on about. You live in this deluded world where everything your pathetic tabloid says.

Would you rather see children killed by speeding motorists or see some speed cameras on the roads?

As others have stated, Blunkett is already far to right wing and has eroded many civil rights, i dont see how you can think this is a good thing.
  • Options
    well we are all allowed our own personal opinion arn't we?
    Yes. And it is still a fucking disgrace and an abomination that some newspapers are advocating the right to murder a person for entering your property. Don't you agree?
  • Options
    Please explain to me what this pathetic tabloid is? Tell me how it runs my life? please, I'd love to know.

More Cameras of course. How ever you don't understand why many people are stick of them. people are getting fined for stupid things and are ebing put in prison. This is soft crime. People want scum bags who make the hard crime to be banged up.

I don't like left wing ideas when it comes to fighting crime. It makes me sad if the Liberal Democrats ever got in power. i would have to make my self murder someone, it would kill me but I would have to, as the criminals turn out to be the victims.

You beleive everything AN AUSTRALIAN AMERICAN says out of his arsehole. I dont think he should have any role in deciding what should be in the British press personally.

A Crime is a crime lukesh, Speeding is a crime.

And your last thing, what a stupid thing to say :mad: You are truely messed up in the head.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: