Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Communism

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is for xicoperez to educate us all a little more about communism.

Please be fair to him and his comments and can we try not to get into the "well Stalin killed millions" and "racist communists" argument because, as he says, these accusations can be levels against capitalism too.

We also have people starving, an elite etc.

So, xico, over to you. Can you answer the questions I posed in Lukesh's thread...?

Comments

• Options
    Communisum is a great idea, or at least would be if people werent lazy, greedy, and self centred.

And as for the 'communist' countries, they arent at all, you cant have a whole country being communist because you have to organise things like labour, trade, education, health etc.
  • Options
    Communism is an idea of hierarchical omnipotent superstate driven to the point of absurdity. In theory Karl Marx said communist society will be stateless society. In practice he said it will be achieved through absolute dictatorship. It is the same as to say we are against death penalty but to achieve our goal everybody who is for must be hung. So nice ends stay on paper while mean means reign- as you know no one communist country was communist in the first meaning but all of them were communist in the second meaning.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Communisum is a great idea, or at least would be if people werent lazy, greedy, and self centred.

How do you know what human nature is if you remove all adverts and new material objects that people get thrown at them from when their born.
    I dont know about you but sometimes i get a felling of friendship and want to help other people, if you could actually see results in society then why wouldn't you work hard for your comrades
  • Options
    To acheive a true Communist society would be impossible, but you could get fairly close it, and this would require a truely dedicated and honest leader, which is very ahrd to come by indeed, as in this current capitalist (the worst possible society, imo) society they usually get either locked up or shoved to the side out of the public view, so no-one can suppiort them or even notice them.

Everybody is to centered around themselves these days. We should all work towards making the world a better place, and trying to make our own countries work rather than going to another country and telling them how to run their country when their country is in a state of near chaos. (Aimed at the American and British leadership here). And let's face it, the Middle East is never going to be fixed, as such.

Communism will work to a certain degree, though, with a good people's leader, and when its sticks to working for the people rather than for the leaders, and prosecuting anyone who so much as coughed in a certain way, like Stalin did. Lenin was good, though. Stalin was a blatant tosser, though, i mean he employed a peodophile... (Comrade Beria, for those of you who don't know). Communism does provide a far better life for the average person, though, when it is an honest regime, as if you all work for the good of a country, and pay is near enough standardised, there is plenty left over for reinvestment, and so public services improve, and Soviet Russia did have a fairly low organised crime rate (if you exclude Stalin and co.), and apparently Aeroflot was one of the safest airlines at the time, beating western airlines...

And Vodka is great...
  • Options
    FAO Jacqs

Do you blame Communism for the anti-semitism or the culture inherent in that society. The reason I ask is that as soon as the former Communist European states experienced a wave or racism and anti-semitism after the Wall came down.

In fact anti-semitism has existed under just about every political system I can think of.
  • Options
    Stalinism is just a version of lenninism in you post, Will, you outlined that you thought it could work better if it was less authoratarian and more people working for people and anarchism. Lenninism is authoratarian.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    FAO Jacqs

Do you blame Communism for the anti-semitism or the culture inherent in that society. The reason I ask is that as soon as the former Communist European states experienced a wave or racism and anti-semitism after the Wall came down.

In fact anti-semitism has existed under just about every political system I can think of.

Don't think I implied that. At least it wasn't my intention. Merely pointing out that from personal account, I can say that communism is not equal for everyone and as peaceful as pointed out and made out to be.
  • Options
    OK Wasn't sure.

I do wonder if communism has ever been practiced in its purest sense. Always thought the early kibbutz system came close.
  • Options
    the only way comunism can exist is when it is forced upon people. the only chance it has of working is when it is forced upon on people.
    i wouldn't want to live under comunist rule. off to the gulag then ...for what ...disagreeing?
    i wouldn't want all men to be equal simply becuase we aren't.
    you cannot force people to be eqaul.
  • Options
    OK Wasn't sure.

I do wonder if communism has ever been practiced in its purest sense. Always thought the early kibbutz system came close.

Teh paris commune and various stages in the spanish civil war i think.
  • Options
    OK Wasn't sure.

That didn't last long either, did it ;)
    Only thing which kibbutzes have produced, are traumas. Unless you're a volounteer and get exploited, and get tricked into believing that it's all wonderful.
  • Options
    Originally posted by crossfire
    Teh paris commune and various stages in the spanish civil war i think.

That'll be anarchism rather than communism I think.
  • Options
    The Federation on Star Trek is the closest thing to a true Communist state that's ever been portrayed, also the "history" behind it is the kind of conditions that would allow communism to flourish.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    That didn't last long either, did it ;)
    Only thing which kibbutzes have produced, are traumas. Unless you're a volounteer and get exploited, and get tricked into believing that it's all wonderful.

Well you learn something new everyday. I'd always thought they were looked on with affection by those who knew them. What 'traumas' exactly?
  • Options
    My best friends mom only has horror stories.
    Being placed in a kids-house from the age of 7 I think, living without the parents, is not nice.
    Everyone knwowing everyone, and their buisness, making calculations on each others behalf is also not nice.
    Having rations on "good" stuff as chocolate as a kid, where that was what they looked forward to the whole week in the kids-house, was also not something she looks back on with delight.

I don't believe that there is any Kibbutz in the country which has stayed with the original concept. Though most still want to get out of them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    That'll be anarchism rather than communism I think.

I thought that the Paris commune was authoratarian communism? The spanish civil war was yes anarchists and i made a mistake, but that is why they lost key battle isn't it because they had no chain of command and could not make sensible strategic decisions with the system
  • Options
    To be honest, I'm not that up on the Paris Commune.
    But the anarchists lost the Spanish civil war because the communists fucked them over.
  • Options
    True.

Have you read Homage to Catalonia Blagsta? Brilliant book!
  • Options
    Yeah, read it last year. Have you seen Ken Loach's film "Land and Freedom"? Thats about the Spanish revolution as well.
  • Options
    Yes I did. Lots of parallels with Orwell's book.

The disorganisation and infighting of the Republican government during the Civil War while the fascists got all the help the Nazi war machine could throw at them still pisses me off.
  • Options
    Re: Communism
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    This is for xicoperez to educate us all a little more about communism.

Please be fair to him and his comments and can we try not to get into the "well Stalin killed millions" and "racist communists" argument because, as he says, these accusations can be levels against capitalism too.

We also have people starving, an elite etc.

Oh! A thread all for me!

This is how I tried to explain that the Soviet Union was not communist (I am reposting it because, as Jim said, chances are people will miss the debate with it's current title and most likely some will not know what's going on)
    Originally posted by xicoperez
    One day you decide to make a cake. You read you cookery book: Ingredients: eggs, flour, milk and sugar. But you use eggs, potatoes, olive oil and salt. And you tell everyone it is a cake...

Everyone believes you. Even chefs (historians). And they say that cakes should be sweet, and this one isn't. That shows that the theory will never work.

As I said, it gets boring when you have to explain the differences between a cake and a Spanish omelette...

P.S. Dear Moderators, I am very sorry for comparing Spanish omelettes with Stalinism. I'd understand being banned. I'm pretty sure Aladdín will ask you to do so.
    So, xico, over to you. Can you answer the questions I posed in Lukesh's thread...?
    Certainly eggs get broken in each of the examples. But doesn't the fact that the populations of most "communist" countries have rejected the ideals eventually give you a clue about public feelings for this form of Govt?

It gives me a clue about public feelings for the form of Government they lived in, wich, as I said, was not communism.
    And I think Jacq meant that people are greedy by their very nature.

People are greedy by nature. The hole point of communism (as explained by Bakunin (an anarquist, member of the 1st International)... as I was saying, the hole point is the balance in between our natural greed and our natural altruism.
    That they want material goods, and communism doesn't offer that.

Communism does offer that. A real communist society would have an effective planned economy, not a represive end ineficient one like the Soviets. Work would be distrbuted equaly, and with the amount of manpower not used in capitalism we each could have not only the basic products but also the ones many call luxuries.
    Our understanding is that communism perports to be for the good of all, when most people are more worried about themselves. Therefore they will work harder, learn more etc just to get a bigger wage so that they can buy more. It's like an incentive scheme.

That is exactly why communism hasn't kicked in yet. We, as a hole, are still not ready... But that doesn't mean that we should stop trying...
    One of the biggest problems faced by USSR was that worker didn't care about shoddy work because they were "guaranteed" a job and the same pay...

Emm... The U.S.S.R. was not communist.

Now with something completly different...
    Please be fair to him and his comments and can we try not to get into the "well Stalin killed millions" and "racist communists" argument because, as he says, these accusations can be levels against capitalism too. We also have people starving, an elite etc.

I never meant to say that as this capitalist society gets many people murdered every day and exploits racism and other separatist methods, those terms could not be used against communism.

Real communists are not racists, nationalists, sectarian, chauvinists... All men and women are equal. As the Communist anthem, The International, says there is only one race, the international race.

About the murders... "Well Stalin killed millions" he was not a Communist. There were deaths in every revolution, and there will be deaths in future revolutions. There were deaths in every counter-revolution, and there will be deaths in future counter-revolutions.

I hope that clarified something.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    And as for the 'communist' countries, they arent at all, you cant have a whole country being communist because you have to organise things like labour, trade, education, health etc.

Well really it is the opposite. Another reason for stating that there are no communist countries is that while there are countries (frontiers) there can not be communism. As I said in another thread: I need every member of a community to be free so I can cultivate my gifts in all directions, that means that my freedom depends on my neighbour's freedom. (Understand neigbours and community as all human beings.)
    Originally posted by LabRat
    In theory Karl Marx said communist society will be stateless society. In practice he said it will be achieved through absolute dictatorship.

He said proletariat dictatorship also known as democracy.
    Originally posted by LabRat
    as you know no one communist country was communist in the first meaning but all of them were communist in the second meaning.

The second meaning is not communist. These misconceptions of communism are precisly the reasons why it will not work now. Because too many people think like you. Or more like it, not many think like me. Luckily many people don't think like you...
    Originally posted by Will
    To acheive a true Communist society would be impossible, but you could get fairly close it, and this would require a truely dedicated and honest leader.

Once you put a leader, it is not communism. Instead of eliminating classes you are re-classifying.
    And Vodka is great...

:yes:
    Merely pointing out that from personal account, I can say that communism is not equal for everyone and as peaceful as pointed out and made out to be.

In theory, everyone is equal in communism. But it has never existed in practice. Your post would be correct like this: Merely pointing out that from personal account, I can say that Stalinism is not equal for everyone and as peaceful as pointed out and made out to be. In Stalinism is was as Orwell wrote:
    Originally posted by George Orwell
    All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    the only way comunism can exist is when it is forced upon people. the only chance it has of working is when it is forced upon on people.
    i wouldn't want to live under comunist rule. off to the gulag then ...for what ...disagreeing?

That, again, is Stalinism. Not Communism. Communism is achieved one revolution at a time. And a revolution is democracy in it's pure form.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll

I thought this point was pretty obvious, but it has been used in arguments so many times its frightning. Thinking that communists want everyone to dress the same, eat the same , listen to the same music, think the same, etc, is ridiculous.
  • Options
    I thought that the Paris commune was authoratarian communism?

What is that?
    The spanish civil war was yes anarchists

Please explain...
    that is why they lost key battle isn't it because they had no chain of command and could not make sensible strategic decisions with the system

This too...
    the anarchists lost the Spanish civil war because the communists fucked them over.

The Republicans lost the war because Stalinists, Trotskysts and Anarquists fought eachother.

The P.C.E. (Communist Party) "guerrillas" (supported by Stalinists) were killing the P.O.U.M. (Workers Party for the Marxist Unification) "guerrillas" (supported by Trotskysts) and viceversa. They were also killing and being killed by the the C.N.T. (National Confederation of Work) "guerrillas" (supported by Anarquists ("National", great name for an anraquist organization)). A part from the guerrillas there was the army, that was very badly supplied and trained. The Nationals had better training and supplies.
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    True.

:eek:
    Thats about the Spanish revolution as well.

Spanish Civil War. It was a coup d'état. The nationals called it a patriotic movement. And as a Communist I'd call it a counter-revolution.
  • Options
    And Vodka is great...
    ...but Smirnoff still carries the Tsar´s coat of arms.
    Originally posted by morroccan roll
    I agree. I wouldn´t want to be forced into communism, particularly if I was an aristocrat.
  • Options
    Human nature is capitalistic and territorial, communism goes against human nature.
    Despite our good intentions we don't like to live equally. We thrive on competition as we have done for millenia.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    Human nature is capitalistic and territorial, communism goes against human nature.
    Despite our good intentions we don't like to live equally. We thrive on competition as we have done for millenia.

So was human nature capitalistic before er...capitalism?

Unfortunatly I have to agree with someone who said it that humans are greedy by nature it seems, always wanting more :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    So was human nature capitalistic before er...capitalism?

Unfortunatly I have to agree with someone who said it that humans are greedy by nature it seems, always wanting more :(

There's nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    Nothing wrong unless their greediness negatively affects others.

Which in the case of capiltalism, it's almost always the case.
  • Options
    There's nothing wrong with that.

Theres nothing wrong with greed? Hmmm Well its your opinion i guess :p
  • Options
    Greed is a source of motivation.
    Ig feeling the need to own or have something makes people get off their butt and work, then it can't be a bad thing.

Btw, people are more than welcome to check out my thread in the AG forum :(