Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

UKIP win in European Regional Elections

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    a very popular man, your judgement is , again, askew

I fail to see how people can ever support him. He is a rascist and an all round up his own arse git.
  • Options
    Do you also fail to see how people can support terriorists?
  • Options
    a very popular man, your judgement is , again, askew

Westlife are popular. Doesn't mean they're any good though, does it?
  • Options
    Westlife are popular. Doesn't mean they're any good though, does it?

Again , Blagsta another astoundingly irrelevant comment as a way of avoiding answering any questions. Well done
  • Options
    Aaaah, all you can do now is to copy my posts. Well they say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :o

But my point was relevant - just made in a lighthearted way. Its not my fault if you're too daft to work it out.
  • Options
    Blagsta are the rest of us White or something?

Ladymuck are the rest of us Black or something?

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Did anyone here know this was happening never mind the general public & does anyone know why this is?

the general public have up to now, known litlle of EU and cared even less.

maybe UKIP coming into equation will change that

Kilroy is quite a housewives choice but to you Renzokuken he is slimy.

Damn that general public , take their vote away
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rocksteady
    Blagsta are the rest of us White or something?

Ladymuck are the rest of us Black or something?

:rolleyes:

What? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
  • Options

What? :confused::confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    it was a dig against Renzokuken's griping obviously
  • Options
    Well obviously didn't have that affect did it?
    Do you ever say anything remotely sensible? :confused:
  • Options
    the general public have up to now, known litlle of EU and cared even less.

maybe UKIP coming into equation will change that

Kilroy is quite a housewives choice but to you Renzokuken he is slimy.

His views of the EU though are just going to warp the views of those who dont know anything about it. Housewives choice my arse. I think a lot of the British public need there heads looked into :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I think a lot of the British public need there heads looked into

Yes, I'd start with arrogant, headstrong young students who care not a fig for the opinions of others
  • Options
    was looking over the election results and noticed something quite shocking. Europe is not divided democratically into fair electoral boundaries

Yeah well, since when was the EU democratic?
  • Options
    Yes, I'd start with arrogant, headstrong young students who care not a fig for the opinions of others

So you are proud that 20% of the electorate voted for a TOTALLY HYPOCRITICAL party in the name of UKIP going to stand in the EU parlimeant they stand against. Britain can not function without being in the EU. I take back my arguments for PR i put forward the other day.
  • Options
    who care not a fig for the opinions of others

Anyone spot the hypocrisy?
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    Yeah well, since when was the EU democratic?

Its getting there, the parliament is getting more power in this constitution.
  • Options
    Britain can not function without being in the EU. I take back my arguments for PR i put forward the other day

Jawohl
  • Options
    UKIP are out to damage the EU as an organisation

I mean I don’t understand his thinking it is all well and good to expose the corruption in the EU. I already know that they is widespread corruption in the EU. However then again they are in every institution on the planet. Read Private Eye and you would come to the conclusion that any form of Government be it local, National or Supranational are going to have layers of corruption.

Also if I was going to chose someone to rid something of corruption it would not be Robert Kilroy-Silk. He has always given me the impression of being a slimy toad of man. (A perfect candidate for a politician then )

Another thing that pisses me off about the UKIP is the way that they don’t understand that the sovereignty was given to the EU not been taken by the EU under duress. Sovereignty has been given to the EU because 25 states working together on some issues are more effective then a single state.

Take environment what would be the point of 1 state having really strict legislation when its neighbour has fuck all environmental legislation; it's better for everyone if they work together.

Also Globalisation means that the world's economy is charging and they is an argument that the old nation states such as the UK will have increasing difficulties in they economies. The US is basically a fucking continent same goes to Russia. China and India both have huge populations we can’t deal with them on an equal footing as an individual state we need to super size to.

Rant over :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    Blair now no longer has the mandate to accept the European Constitution

Why not?

This wasn't a referendum on the constitution even if that's what people voted for. Nothing in this election changes the national govt and Blair can continue on his merry way with the huge majority in parliament.

That's what annoys me about the voters in this country. I don't mind who people vote for, that is their choice. It does worry me why they vote though. How many people actually voted on the issues facing the parliament they were electing - whether that was Europe or Local?

And how many were voicing a protest against the standnig Govt?

I'd say that the latter refelects a large proportion, and it has been seen time and time again in mid-term elections.
    The UKIP have become the 3rd biggest British party in the European parliament, displacing the Lib Dems, this seems like a big deal to most people.

Personally, I think that we are analysing this too much. Protest vote, little more. People know that it will not have too much of an adverse effect on their day-to-day lives and so can vote for anyone. It's why the Greens score so high in these elections too...
    The British people do not want national sovereignity eroded, they want to be governed by representatives THEY elect and who sit in the House of Commens and put Britains interests first.

I wouldn't go that far because only 40% of the public voted, and then only 15% of those voted for UKIP. That's about 5% of the population.

Even if, as the Tories would argue, the conservative vote should be counted, they only polled 30% of votes cast. That's another 10% of the population actually cast a vote for them.

So your "The British People" comment, only relfelcts thewishes of 15% of the population.

Hardly representative, is it?
    You cannot say the EU will put Britains interests first, can you?

Nope, and it's one of the reasons why I would vote against EU integration and one of the reasons why I am anti-EU in some many ways.

But I'm not blinkered enough to think that the majority of my countrymen think the same.
  • Options
    (
  • Options
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    (This is my first post in a long time... Hello all!)

I was glad to see New Labour get a beating in the Local and Regional elections, but the manner in which it was given is an atrocious condemnation of PR. In a system where you vote purely for a party, not a candidate, it seems many were swayed simply by the power of celebrity. Kilroy, a self-professed racist and backward looking dinosaur who believes that because of Britains imperial past it is allowed to stick two fingers up to the EU polled a credible portion of the vote almost by himself. This shows how dangerous it can be to have an electoral system that focuses on a top down rather than bottom up approach.

On the other hand I was glad to see my Green MEP, Caroline Lucas reelected even if she only achieved a small rise in her percentage of the vote.

Welcome back :)

I take it you are in the South East region too then :(

as in:( at 'our' representatives, not :( that you live in the same region as me
  • Options
    who believes that because of Britains imperial past it is allowed to stick two fingers up to the EU polled a credible portion of the vote almost by himself. This

What are you on about? How about the simple idea that a fair chunk of the population don't like the EU
    This shows how dangerous it can be to have an electoral system that focuses on a top down rather than bottom up approach.

People vote for a variety of reasons, Kilroy gave UKIP a celeb push, are you annoyed it worked?

All parties drag out celebs when possible
  • Options
    What are you on about? How about the simple idea that a fair chunk of the population don't like the EU

But does the British people know anything bout the EU? Wasnt it Aladdin who made the point that 75% of the population didnt read the constitution. This shows that people are have not been educated about the EU and its role.
  • Options
    "I wouldn't go that far because only 40% of the public voted, and then only 15% of those voted for UKIP. That's about 5% of the population.

Even if, as the Tories would argue, the conservative vote should be counted, they only polled 30% of votes cast. That's another 10% of the population actually cast a vote for them.

So your "The British People" comment, only relfelcts thewishes of 15% of the population."

So under your system we should abdicate 60% of our European seats because the majority of the population quite frankly dont give a shit?

If so many of the people do not understand Europe is it not a good thing that the minority who do understand come out and vote?

Lastly, the Tories are also very Euro Sceptic and would almost withdraw from Europe, at least they claim they would not sign up to anything new. With the combination of the Euro Sceptic voters they easily make up over 50% of the electorate. Does that not erode any mandate Blair claims to have very significantly?
  • Options
    If so many of the people do not understand Europe is it not a good thing that the minority who do understand come out and vote?

But do the people that vote understand the EU or is it due to something else such as using they democratic right.

My mother voted even though she would be the first to admit she doesnt understand how the EU works. She voted because she believes that people should.
  • Options
    So under your system we should abdicate 60% of our European seats because the majority of the population quite frankly dont give a shit?

No, what I am saying is that more than 50% of the elctorate don't care enough to want a change. Basically they are saying that they are happy with the status quo and this shouldn't be discounted when you are arguing that this election offers a mandate one way or another.

It's a good thing if everyone comes out and votes, not just those who "understand" the issues.

Everyone will form a decision based on their own understanding and it's not possible to argue that anyone has a "true" understanding.
    Lastly, the Tories are also very Euro Sceptic and would almost withdraw from Europe, at least they claim they would not sign up to anything new. With the combination of the Euro Sceptic voters they easily make up over 50% of the electorate. Does that not erode any mandate Blair claims to have very significantly?

I think I covered this. 60% of the electorate didn't vote at all. Even if you lump the UKIP and Tory votes toegther you would still end up with less than 50% of votes cast (I think it was about 45%) so in either event the public has not given a mandate for withdrawl from Europe.

Besides people weren't just voting on those grounds - not all LibDem votes will be pro-Europe, not all Tories are anti, and only a referendum would give a true indication of public feeling.
  • Options
    "more than 50% of the elctorate don't care enough to want a change."

That is not true. I know plenty of people who do not vote simply because they do not understand the issues, they do not believe in the democratic system, they are too busy with work, they are religious fundamentalists and again do not believe in the democratic system, they are anarchists and want to bring down the whole establishment etc etc There are many reasons for not voting.

The majority of people are not happy with the current government and if they were happy they would have come out and supported them to ensure that their mandate was not taken by other parties.

"It's a good thing if everyone comes out and votes, not just those who "understand" the issues."

Do you agree that those who oppose the EU and those who are pro European come out to vote even if they really do not understand what they are voting about?

Would you encourage those who have little understanding of politics to vote even if they voted for the extreme left and right wing parties in our society?

"Even if you lump the UKIP and Tory votes toegther you would still end up with less than 50% of votes cast "

Well for a start their combined number of MEP's is 39 and that is more than Labour, The Greens, The Liberals, The Scottish Nationals and Plaid Cymru all put toegether. Then you must consider I did not narrow my point to the Tories and UKIP but Euro Sceptic voters. So then you have to add to the Euro Sceptics the 3 Euro Sceptic MEP's voted in for N. Ireland; Sinn Fein, Ulster Unionist & DUP. Then you must also add on all the other Euro Sceptic parties who did not get an MEP and you will find that easily Euro Sceptics took over 50% share of the electorate.
  • Options
    That is not true. I know plenty of people who do not vote simply because they do not understand the issues, they do not believe in the democratic system, they are too busy with work, they are religious fundamentalists and again do not believe in the democratic system, they are anarchists and want to bring down the whole establishment etc etc There are many reasons for not voting.

If you care enough about an issue you would
    • Try to understand the issues
    • Use the system avaiable to have your voice heard - whether you are fundamentalist or anarchist. Oh, out of interest, which religion is anti voting?
    • Find time, inspite of work. Sorry but that is the lamest excuse ever. Firstly it takes at mnost 30 minutes from a day to visit a polling station which is open for more than 12 hours. If you sill cannot find time then you can vote through the post or by proxy.

What you mean is that there are many excuses for not voting, but you wouldn't need an excuse if you cared enough.

Apathy is the reason people don't vote.
    The majority of people are not happy with the current government and if they were happy they would have come out and supported them to ensure that their mandate was not taken by other parties.

Do you have something to back up your claim that the majority of people are unhappy with the Govt?

If people are truly unhappy, wouldn't they vote against them, rather than stay at home? Or rather, wouldn't it be better to vote against them. Staying at home is, as I said, a vote for the status quo.
    Do you agree that those who oppose the EU and those who are pro European come out to vote even if they really do not understand what they are voting about?

Yes. Do you think that each of those groups have a full grasp of the issues then?
    Would you encourage those who have little understanding of politics to vote even if they voted for the extreme left and right wing parties in our society?

Yep. It's called exercising a democratic right. You don't have to understand the issue to register a vote. If you think that is wrong then you have missed the basic principles of democracy.
    Well for a start their combined number of MEP's is 39 and that is more than Labour, The Greens, The Liberals, The Scottish Nationals and Plaid Cymru all put toegether.

So, 45% of the vote gives you more than 50% of the seats? Not very democratic wouldn't you say?
    Then you must consider I did not narrow my point to the Tories and UKIP but Euro Sceptic voters.

But you still include the Tories. If I am not mistaken they still want to be part of Europe, even if they think it has gone a little further than they would want.

Also worth noting that not all Tories are anti-Europe and so you cannot assume that they were voting on a EuroSkeptic forum...
  • Options
    [