Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

UKIP win in European Regional Elections

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Re: UKIP win in European Regional Elections
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    BBC link

So, the UKIP have beaten the Lib Dems into 3rd place and won a lot of former Labour and Tory voters over.

I'm officially scared for the mental health of this country.

As am I. The general public can be very arogant and idiotic.

On the plus side Kilroy will be buggering off :p Though its a bit hypocritical of him to do so....
  • Options
    All I said before is vindicated by Euro-vote

UK is in large part indifferent/resentful to the EU

We voted for a Common Market - -commerce not politocs
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    All I said before is vindicated by Euro-vote

UK is in large part indifferent/resentful to the EU

We voted for a Common Market - -commerce not politocs

The UK needs to stop living in the past to be frank
  • Options
    Well you'd better tell them then

Maybe the past looks better than an EU future
  • Options
    Well you'd better tell them then

Maybe the past looks better than an EU future

So you want to see Britain on its own in the world? Britain needs Europe to be a player on the world stage. Britain is no longer a super power. The 'celebrities' who support UKIP are all from a time where britain still had colonies, they still think Britain is like that. There views are very distorted.
  • Options
    There views are very distorted.

Yours aren't?

The arrogance of youth
  • Options
    Yours aren't?

The arrogance of youth

I dont see how my views are distorted, i merely support the idea of the EU

and how dare you call me arrogant! There are people out there who dont know *anything* about what is going on and they dont want to know they just are warped by the tabloids. They are the arrogrant ones.
  • Options
    and how dare you call me arrogant!

:D :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Respected rejected :p

I personally was pleased with UKIP, they are not a racist party, they reflect the attitude of many people, especially when i say in the plymouth area UKIP were top!

Robert Kilroy Silk has gained the support of many people who disagreed with the Knee Jerk, Politically Correct reaction from the BBC. As have UKIP as a whole gained votes down here due to the fact that people do not want a dictatorship anymore with a prime minister who likes to lick an arse of Bush!

If UKIP were so wrong and so racist why did they do so well? QUICK POLICE:::::::: :eek: racists loose!!!! IN BRITAIN!!!!!!
  • Options
    Celebrating his victory, Mr Kilroy-Silk said: "Now we know why the British public are fed up with the old parties. They are fed up with being talked to in that simplistic manner.

"They want their country back from Brussels and we are going to get it back for them."

To add they want a party who thinks of the people rather than themselves!

The peoples very own party!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    UKIP also picked up one seat in Yorkshire from the Tories.

The best thing in my opinion is that the BNP picked up very little in the way of voting - same as the local elections last week.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*
    If UKIP were so wrong and so racist why did they do so well?

Because people want to register a protest at what they see in European politics and don't feel that their usual party reflects this.

If you are a Labour supporters but are Euro sceptic would you vote for "the old enemy" or vote for a pary with little power in the UK generally?

Even with 15% of votes cast across the country, that means that only 6/100 people actually voted for them. Do you seriously believe that the same would apply in a General Election?
    QUICK POLICE:::::::: :eek: racists loose!!!! IN BRITAIN!!!!!!

I don't know about calling the police, but I'm not proud that there are racists loose in the UK. We should be ashamed that there are people who base their opinions of people, cultures and politics on skin colour.
  • Options
    Re: UKIP win in European Regional Elections
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    BBC link

So, the UKIP have beaten the Lib Dems into 3rd place and won a lot of former Labour and Tory voters over.

I'm officially scared for the mental health of this country.

Thats Democracy, it is what the people want, if you would rather a dictatorship go to Zimbabwe, i am sure they will welcome you with open arms!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    We should be ashamed that there are people who base their opinions of people, cultures and politics on skin colour.

Yeah Panorama showed that last night didnt it.

KILROY "Stop calling us OTHERS"
  • Options
    Yeah Panorama showed that last night didnt it.

Didn't watch it.

But your comments certainly show that there are racists in this country. Sadly you seem to think that it is okay for you to be racist because there are racist blacks, muslims, hindus etc.

It isn't. It's never okay. I condemn them as strongly as I condemn you.
  • Options
    Re: Re: UKIP win in European Regional Elections
    Thats Democracy, it is what the people want, if you would rather a dictatorship go to Zimbabwe, i am sure they will welcome you with open arms!

Bit lame comparing the democray with Zimbabwe. Anyway with the way we are heading now with the Tories, UKIP and BNP i wouldnt be suprised if we went that way :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Re: Re: UKIP win in European Regional Elections
    if you would rather a dictatorship go to Zimbabwe

or vote BNP...
  • Options
    Yours aren't?

The arrogance of youth

Well according to your profile you're only 28. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Well according to your profile you're only 28. :rolleyes:

A mere child then...
  • Options
    But i think the problem is that they is little in the way of education on the EU.

Where were the pro Euroepans i dont think that i heard much on them during the run up to the elections

I havent looked at the results yet has Kilroy got himself a seat?
  • Options
    Originally posted by marv
    I havent looked at the results yet has Kilroy got himself a seat?

Yes. But he doesn't plan on attending very often. He seems to think that this sends a message. Personally I agree with him, the message it sends is that the Parliament can pass anything because he and his cronies won't vote against it...

I agree with you about the education aspect too.. It is easy, in the UK, to find anti-Europe propaganda, but not pro-Europe. Although I am anti- I think that this is a situation which needs rectifying, I just don't know how when the media are so biased that they wouldn't give any positive stories equal prominence...
  • Options
    UKIP. What a bunch of hypocrites.

"We oppose all these fat balding EMPs in Brussels who sit around doing nothing and getting paid huge salaries by the tax payers....

Actually....

That sounds quite good. Yeah sign us up for that one! Vote UKIP in the European elections!":rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Citizen_Bertie
    UKIP. What a bunch of hypocrites.

"We oppose all these fat balding EMPs in Brussels who sit around doing nothing and getting paid huge salaries by the tax payers....

Nah, not hypocrites, there is a difference.

The UKIP EMPs won't in Brusselssitting around doing nothing and getting paid huge salaries by the tax payers...

Their website is hilarious... apparently they want to give us the "freedom from overcrowding". A problem which this country doesn't actually have. If you look at the fact we actually have more space per capita than most other countries.

I also love their intention to give us back the freedom of speech, which we have appreantly lost. Not sure where or when, but it's gone...
  • Options
    Less than 20% of the electorate have voted for the party that wants to take Britain out of Europe.

More than 80% of the electorate want to stay in the EU then.

No big deal.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Less than 20% of the electorate have voted for the party that wants to take Britain out of Europe.

More than 80% of the electorate want to stay in the EU then.

No big deal.

Not even that. Less than 20% of those who voted and turnout was 40%.

I make that about 5% of the population are enthusiastic enough to get off their assess and vote against Europe. 35% voted "in favour" (although the Tories would deny this) and 60% are just apathetic.

Either way, the apathetic vote wins, and they would be arsed about that either...
  • Options
    God, just saw Kilroy on the news. How the hell can people physically vote for his party. He is such a slimey bastard

'what are you going to do to the eu parliament'

'wreck it'

I dont often say this about someone, but he is a ****
  • Options
    I've heard turnout in the new accession states was v. low, no great enthusiasm even from them

Give us a referendum on staying in EU, it's deserved after all last referendum was about staying in the Common Market
  • Options
    No big deal.

What a load of utter rubbish, of course it is a big deal.

Blair now no longer has the mandate to accept the European Constitution and he will not win any referendum on it.

The UKIP have become the 3rd biggest British party in the European parliament, displacing the Lib Dems, this seems like a big deal to most people.

The British people do not want national sovereignity eroded, they want to be governed by representatives THEY elect and who sit in the House of Commens and put Britains interests first.

You cannot say the EU will put Britains interests first, can you?
  • Options
    God, just saw Kilroy on the news. How the hell can people physically vote for his party. He is such a slimey bastard

a very popular man, your judgement is , again, askew
  • Options
    Perhaps if people could hold Europe more directly to account there would not be the same distrust of the Brussles government?

Is anyone here who is pro Europe not worried that you cannot effectively hold the MEP's to account, most of which do not even speak your own language?

I was also quite taken back that the news did not mention much about the swing in the European parliament for surely this is important as to assertain its political stance with regard new legislation?

I was looking over the election results and noticed something quite shocking. Europe is not divided democratically into fair electoral boundaries. While the Scotch only have 7 European parliament seats for an electorate population of 3877194 the Republic of Ireland has 13 seats for an electorate of 2836596. This is also true of the new assention countries. N. Ireland has 3 seats for an electorate of 1191307 while Estonia has 6 seats for a smaller electorate of 1067430 & Latvia 9 seats for an electorate of 1399795....

Did anyone here know this was happening never mind the general public & does anyone know why this is?