Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

World Oil…

Just random thoughts.
OPEC is a cartel that controls the most part of oil sold and actually controls oil price and consequently the price of our petrol tanks. Three main non-OPEC oil exporters- Russia, Norway and Mexico reduce this price and I think without their efforts we’d have petrol for &20 and more... But these countries have no real free oil markets. In Russia though its market is free on paper it is not free in reality. President Putin has all power to command oil corporations so it is government, not market that establishes prices. Norwegian oil market is nationalized, as in OPEC countries. Mexico is in the best position but anyway, Mexican government has enough power to keep prices on a level they want.
I think if we had really free oil market we’d pay like 30 cents per litre.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi

The problem with your theory, is I think, this.

The oil producing countries do not control the price of oil. Oil is sold freely on the world oil markets (just like shares are, kind of). The only way the oil-producing countries have of influencing the price of oil is to reduce or increase production. Now most countries are already at their peak of oil production. They do not have the infrastructure to get it out of the ground any quicker than they do already. The main exception to this is Saudi Arabia, who do have a limited ability to increase production, but only for a short while. The oil producers are also unlikely to want to reduce production, as this would hurt their profits.

So unless a huge amount of oil comes on the market (if a huge new reserve is found somewhere) or demand suddenly goes down (highly unlikely!!) then the price is not likely to fall that much.
  • Options
    Oil is so important that whoever controls it can seel it at high price, given also the reality that it will eventually run out....

Also even if the state was not involved there would not be free-competition, the oil market is oligopolistic, if state control were remoived there would likely be a new cartel between the companies which is quite proabbely worse than that between govts........
  • Options
    I think it would be great if the US annexed the Saudi oil fields.

The Western world would have a huge source of secure oil forever.
  • Options
    You would think that wouldn't you?
    How about if Saudi Arabia annexed us? Would that be OK?
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    forever.

:confused:

You do know that oil won't last don't you?
  • Options

I think it would be great if the world invaded the US, wiped out the Republican Party and its supporters and imposed regime change.

The world would have then safeguarded the existence of mankind and all other life forms on this planet for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    Lets be honest here - under American rule the Oil supplies would be safe, secure and cheaply avaliable to the countries that need it.

Not like now , when Saudi could implode at any second.
  • Options
    If there is one country that America while never attack it's Saudi Arabia. At least will Bush is in the White House. The Bush and Saudi Royal families are extremely close apparently and the Saudi's have something like a trillion dollars in the American stock market. (According to Robert Baer anyway.)
  • Options
    Safe and secure to the US you mean.
    Are you really advocating invading other countries and stealing their resources? :eek:
  • Options
    If you owned the oil would you sell it for bargin basement prices when you could get a higher price for it? And as demand outstrips supply the price can only rise.

I heard that most of the oil from Russia goes down to China, and just because people keep finding new oil reserves dosent mean we should exploit them as soon as possible. What about the developing countries? Why should we (rich countries) be able to use all the oil?

Bopz
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bopperz
    And as demand outstrips supply the price can only rise.

just because people keep finding new oil reserves dosent mean we should exploit them as soon as possible.
    Bopz
    the current state of affairs doesn't look to promising.
    for every six barrels we use ...we are discovering one new one.
  • Options
    Why should we (rich countries) be able to use all the oil?

Because we are more important.
  • Options
    Really? Why?
  • Options
    Because we are more important.
    i agree with you that we are more important.
    we need watching very closely. we need someone to stop us being so fucking reckless and arrogant. we are the people who's ideas and technology will reduce the world to dust.
    yes we are much more important ...
  • Options
    Puts me in mind of the foolishness of such bravado as suggested in the poem Ozymandias:

I met a traveler from an antique land
    Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
    Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read,
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed,
    And on the pedestal these words appear:
    "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
    Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away
  • Options
    Really guys, i think it is best to ignore Matadore, he is taking the piss methinks, not here for constructive debate........
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Puts me in mind of the foolishness of such bravado as suggested in the poem Ozymandias:

I met a traveler from an antique land
    Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
    Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read,
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed,
    And on the pedestal these words appear:
    "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
    Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away
    ...and everyone else around him kept saying ...it's all gonna go wrong ozzy ...
  • Options
    It could be possible that Matadore is taking the piss, but unlikely considering he's a self-confessed racist who thinks (and announced on these boards) that Arabs are inferior to WASPs and Jews.

You kind of have to wonder how someone so young could already be showing such appalling levels of bigotry, hatred and prejudice.

I think it's rather sad.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    It could be possible that Matadore is taking the piss, but unlikely considering he's a self-confessed racist who thinks (and announced on these boards) that Arabs are inferior to WASPs and Jews.

You kind of have to wonder how someone so young could already be showing such appalling levels of bigotry, hatred and prejudice.

I think it's rather sad.
    my old man was like that. right till his last breatrh the miserable cntu.
    negative towards all things foriegn ...especialy the germans and the japs. he had his reasons like us lot have ours. but could i ever grasp them? people who carry so much misplaced fucking self rightousness and bitterness are not only disturbing my life but making their own so fucking shallow.
  • Options
    negative towards all things foriegn ...especialy the germans and the japs. he had his reasons like us lot have ours. but could i ever grasp them? people who carry so much misplaced fucking self rightousness and bitterness are not only disturbing my life but making their own so fucking shallow.

I think it's rather sad.
  • Options

I think it's rather sad.
  • Options
    Well there's still hope for change. He's quite young and that. :)

I'm off. See you all on Monday.
  • Options
    I am not racist , where did you get that idea?

Look, think about it.

The rule about oil is that it always appears in countrys which are dictatorships and unstable.

In fact, oil is precisely the reason these dictatorships begin, it provides a massive source of revenue and eliminates the need for income tax etc.

So, if the West secured the Saudi oil fields, then there would be far less danger of an attack on the system cutting oil supplies to the rest of the world.

Do you know how fragile our oil supplies are? If a terrorist network simultaneously attacked the Saudi oil pipelines and the major Oil refinerys the worlds supply would be cut off.

I dont need to tell you the chaos that would result from that.
  • Options
    So invading another country and stealing their resources is OK?
  • Options
    If it results in massive benefits for the rest of the world, then yes I think so.
  • Options

The rule about oil is that it always appears in countrys which are dictatorships and unstable.

Like the USA? ;)
  • Options
    And off the coast of Scotland? ;)

Terribly unstable dictatorship that UK, innit?
  • Options
    Last time OPEC raised the prices artifically high in the 1970's it nearly caused a global economic collapse.
    It wouldn't dare raise them any higher because if it did the same thing would happen and the result would be an enrage USA and Europe invading and seizing the oil supplies.
    I don't even know why you bloody yanks complain about the price, you pay the lowest in the world, what is it, like 30pence a litre?
  • Options

Yeah, that would be so easy and straight forward wouldn't it?

I mean, look how easy it has been to "pacify" Iraq, and that's coming from someone who support the invasion there.

This ranks with a Steelgate comment.

Well it would if it stopped using oil. Otherwise it would run out. Oil is a finite resource.
    The rule about oil is that it always appears in countrys which are dictatorships and unstable

Like the US and UK, for starters... ?

Or are you just talking about Arabian oil here?
  • Options
    If it results in massive benefits for the rest of the world, then yes I think so.

So the ends justify the means, yes?