Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

political correctness gone mad

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    On the subject of the flag in the Guardian today they have a free 'Guardian readers England Flag' ;) anyone see this?

Even though I am welsh i found it quite amusing
  • Options
    I was not trying to comment on whether irt was right to ban it for these reasons, just pointing out that lukesh and others were wrong to ascribe it to any PC or racism issues.....
  • Options
    Of course it does. But the fact remains that the far right hijacked it in the late 70's and early 80's and to a lot of people who remember this, it still has that connotation.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    well it's time to forget about it.

people will but it does take time. the swastika is a sign of peace, but the nazi's turned it around. when you see a swastika in the street do you think of nazi's or peace?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    On the subject of the flag in the Guardian today they have a free 'Guardian readers England Flag' ;) anyone see this?

Even though I am welsh i found it quite amusing

Oh yes, shame there wasn't a plastic hat to match ;)
  • Options
    ok before someone does a stressed eric and busts a bloodvessel (!) i'll try and clarify a few things.

yes the whole flag thing is a motoring offence, but in the scheme of things its a very minor one and its only going to be for a month or so anyway.

yes the article itself wasnt about being PC or racism or anything, but i heard it mentioned on the radio, and as we have had a bit of racial tension up north recently the DJ was referring to that and saying that the councils were trying to stop anything kicking off before it started by removing any trace of symbolism or whatever you want to call it. i was referring to that, and not the article which was the official thing on it. sorry if i wasnt very clear but you guys really need to take some chill pills!
  • Options
    Who's going to enforce it????
    Police have got enough to do without doing this. They'll only act if one flies off and kills a cyclist or something.
  • Options
    Whowhere - judging by some of your recent posts, theres hope for you yet :):D
  • Options
    well it's time to forget about it.
    but thats what you want us to do with 18yrs of tory devastation.
    the same suits with the same tired ideas want power again and you'd love them to have it ...i can't forget. i refuse ...
  • Options
    well I've never forget the mess the new labour government have made the last 7 years.

So tell me, how have New Labour made a mess?
  • Options
    schools, hospitals, asylum/immigration, crime the lot. very proud of the economy how ever, that is where Labour dow ell in, they are rubbish at domestic issues.

don't start talking about how labour have pouring in millions and billions into the public services because i already know. the fact is they don't know how to spend it.

Thing is Lukesh, it was the Coneservatives who starved the schools and hospitals of funds. New Labour have done ok considering what they had to begin with. What is wrong with immigration? Why have you put it hand in hand with asylum? Very few immigrants are asylum seekers. Besides as I have stated before Britain needs more people to come here and work, especially to do the low paid work that no 'British' person wants to do. I am sure the government is doing the best it can with crime, it is not the government that is causing crime is it? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    don't start saying immigration isn't a problem, polls say that it's one of the top issue in stoke on trent where I live as 30% of the population votd the BNP yesterday.

polls say - thats what people think, not the fact. In reality I think the largest issues we have in Britain are health related, and Iraq (but there's not much we can do about that now). I'm not associating you with the BNP, don't get me wrong, but they say that our government is too concerned with our countries welfare and don't look after our own enough right? Well all the major issues on our own soil are barely spoke about by them, they just go on about immigrants, and europe, etc.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Whowhere - judging by some of your recent posts, theres hope for you yet :):D

hehe, I'm sure there's still some things we will always disagree on, but I've realised I can't stand people gobbing off about stuff they have no clue over.

As for the flag thing, I honestly believe the police have got enough to do, and don't want to risk being unpopular.
    The flags will only be around 3/4 weeks anyway, this political correctness stuff has been blown out of proportion.
  • Options
    very proud of the economy how ever, that is where Labour dow ell in,

Labour inherited a very strong economy, they just carried on using Tory policies, thats why it is as good as it is today.

Giving the Bank of England independence was a smart move, however.