Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

political correctness gone mad

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
was in the local news round here this morning that taxi drivers mainly but motorists in general faced fines/penalty points for having those england flags on their cars, in certain areas they're deemed to be racist.

i think the councils have actually backed down since, but i dont think it matters. whatever is gonna be next, am i gonna be banned from wearing my england shirt in the street cos somebody MIGHT feel intimidated or offended? fuck's sake...:rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    Apparantly having something like a flag on a car is a motoring offence anyway
  • Options
    They look stupid - we're not going to win, we're going to do very very badly and all of those people will be ripping them off their own cars and stamping on them in frustration probably by 10pm on Sunday!
  • Options
    On some town in the Manchester area the local council has banned taxis from displaying flags because it sees them as 'advertising' and taxis aren't allowed there to carry any (unless licensed to do so I guess).

Pretty stupid IMO.

So long as the flags don't obstruct the driver's view and they are attached securely, I don't see a problem with them.
  • Options
    I'm assuming this is the story, correct me I'm wrong superfly

http://www.guardian.co.uk/britain/article/0,2763,1234357,00.html
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    They look stupid - we're not going to win, we're going to do very very badly and all of those people will be ripping them off their own cars and stamping on them in frustration probably by 10pm on Sunday!

Who are 'we'? ;)
  • Options
    I'm assuming this is the story

yeah thats pretty much the jist of it, it wasnt on the news as such, was listening when the dj was harping on about it afterwards.

its just so annoying as there are so many more important things that local councils should be worrying about right now. and to be quite honest, if anyone is offended, they need a slap, preferably with a wet fish.
  • Options
    Quote:

A Rochdale council spokesman said councillors had not specifically banned the flag.

"Last year a taxi driver was flying the stars and stripes at the start of the Iraq war ... He was asked to remove it, just as we asked Asian drivers to remove Pakistani flags during the cricket world cup.

"Apart from the rear doors, no advertising is allowed."

Why do you think this has to do with pc or people being offended? Has this been mentioned at all?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Quote:

A Rochdale council spokesman said councillors had not specifically banned the flag.

"Last year a taxi driver was flying the stars and stripes at the start of the Iraq war ... He was asked to remove it, just as we asked Asian drivers to remove Pakistani flags during the cricket world cup.

i'd a told 'em to fuck off!
  • Options
    Re: political correctness gone mad
    Originally posted by superfly
    was in the local news round here this morning that taxi drivers mainly but motorists in general faced fines/penalty points for having those england flags on their cars, in certain areas they're deemed to be racist.

i think the councils have actually backed down since, but i dont think it matters. whatever is gonna be next, am i gonna be banned from wearing my england shirt in the street cos somebody MIGHT feel intimidated or offended? fuck's sake...:rolleyes:

Don't believe the hype.
  • Options
    As it happens Luke ethnic minorites do like the flag and very often fly it themselves.
  • Options
    Did you just read what was before? It is an issue of advertising and safety not of PC or racism.........
  • Options
    The first time I saw the England flag on a car I thought it was some political statement ie: pro UKIP/BNP and was a bit annoyed, then soon enough I realised it was the football (I'm not a sporty kind of person...).

I think people should be free to fly any flags, but sometimes it's not the best idea. I would love to have the flags of several nations around my house, though I'm sure it would attract unwanted attention.

And my parents wouldn't let me :yeees:
  • Options
    I think it's great that the flag is being reclaimed from the far right.

I'll by flying the Spanish flag on the back of my bike myself. Though after Spain kicks England out in the quarter finals I might have to remove it to avoid anyone running me over.

;)
  • Options
    I'm Spanish.
  • Options
    Yep. I'm a sponger who came here to steal your jobs and your women.

Seriously though, I've been here 10 years now- and have not claimed a single penny in benefits. Is that a record? ;):D
  • Options
    It was a sarcastic post Luke (the sponger remarks, that is). Can't you tell when someone is joking? :)
  • Options
    The smilies often offer a clue as to the nature of posts.

Though if you don't mind my saying so, you need to fine-tune your sarcasm detector.
  • Options
    What line? The sarcasm one?
  • Options
    It just means that you should be able to work out when a comment is made sacastically because there is a fair amount of sarcasm in some posts, and many things you might think are being said seriously are in fact nothing of the sort.
  • Options
    always take it as a joke. It's better for your mood and blood pressure ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    weather

whether?

Sorry..........
  • Options
    god man how can you think the English flag has any thing to do with racism?

Because the far right hijacked it in the late 70's/early 80's. And a lot of people have long memories.
  • Options
    hey BNP never claimed the English flag.

Yes they did. As did the NF and BM.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Yes they did. As did the NF and BM.

BM? Bernard Manning? :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    BM? Bernard Manning? :p

British Movement.
  • Options
    it is NOT theirs it's ours, the English persons.

Read some history.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Did you just read what was before? It is an issue of advertising and safety not of PC or racism.........

How many cars have been in accidents whilst flying the flag? it is no different than a roof rack with suitcases, DIY (wood/timber ladder etc) and a bike rack? I flag would cause little damage to anyone, even if it flew off the gravational pull would ring it down to the ground eventually causing no/little obstruction to drivers! the only problem would be if the driver was attached to his/her flag and decided to get bad road rage, lets be sensible about this!

What are tey advertising, the coutry they live or a product? I see no problem in pride for your country, how is this an advert? We are not asking for consumers to purchase one, just showing support for our country and its footballers, whether you believe in football or not is your choice but others do, and do not appreciate the hassle for the support they show!
  • Options
    If you actually read the article, you'll see it only applies to taxi drivers in Manchester, so its not worth working yourself up into a self righteous frenzy is it?
  • Options
    Health and safety went out a long time ago, when the muslim girl wanted to wear her Jilbab. It was said at the time that if someone tripped over on it, it would cause an accident. Health and safety is a cop out for most things, that people want to prohibit or ban, but are worried that by doing so they will invoke public fury.

If you actually read the article, you'll see it only applies to taxi drivers in Manchester, so its not worth working yourself up into a self righteous frenzy is it?

Like you do when anyone dares to complain that their taxes are wasted on spurious politically correct diversity projects.

Its a matter of opinion :)
  • Options
    whatever. :rolleyes:

I just think that if you actually read the article, its not that big a deal. Its taxi drivers in Manchester, it ain't everyone, and it ain't about "political correctness".