Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Prison life

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i've done three sentences.
    most of it in victorian jails ...banged up 23 hr a day with two other geezers ...to live like that with people not of your choosing is fucking hard going. you eat sleep piss and shit in there 23 hrs a day. no running water. no heating.lucky if you get a shower every ten days.
    there are more modern prisons with tellys.
    they are hell!
    i was in a place called hmp wymott ...on the lancashire moors.
    wymott means literaly ...her majesties prison where you must obey the tannoy.
    you have a key to your cell! you can wander round within a wing all night long ...each wing carries around 70 men. shooting up ...having sex ...running extortion and sheer terror rackets.
    no uniforms in there after 8pm. the next uniform you see is 6am.
    it's at those times that people mutilate someone who had it coming for one thing or another ...or nothing at all.
    that was the most violent neighborhood i have ever lived in in my life.
    if your doing 5yrs or over ...your considered a long termer so eventual ...usualy within your first year ...get moved to somewhere like wakefield in yorkshire where you are entitled to have a set of curtains sent in to hide the barred window ...your allowed a cheap battery run hi fi. cd's etc. more long termers are getting a telly in the cell. for these small distractions from the very harsh environment your living in you have to live with the likes of huntley and far worse ...and the cell doors are open around 8hrs a day ...the prisoners outnumber the screws so all sorts of stuff going on.
    at the moment two rivl gangs in wakefield are placing bets ...inside and outside the jail money is changing hands on who wounds him first. then who mutilates him first and finaly who kills him first. all good jail sport. all has to be done in the right order so they can mutilate his mind before he finaly dies.

at the moment there is a spliff smouldering in the ashtray on my desk ...do any of you seriously believe i should face anything worse than what i've described ...for having that spliff there whilst chatting to you people?
  • Options
    Sheesh, thats all I can say Mr Roll. I couldnt hack that like, no way !!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Sheesh, thats all I can say Mr Roll. I couldnt hack that like, no way !!!
    the people on this site becky who think jail aint tough enough ....
    if they should ever have the misfortune of ending up beingsentenced to six months ...as they are driven through the prison gates in what is known as a sweat box ...locked in seperate tiny cells in the sweatbox ...where you have to point your feet out sideways cos the van cells are only shoulder wide and have 8inches by 15 inches of floor space ...as the gates close behind them ...i hope and pray they find a world of playstaion and reality tv pleasure .........if thats what they're looking for ....theres a dealer on every landing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    your had a bad experince obviously. I bet you wouldn't want to go back now would you?

thats what prison is about.

I used to think like you..........bit silly now when i look back.

Take a drug user, he needs that fix and he will get it regardless, even if its breaking the law and he gets nicked. His fix is the only thing on his mind, not a prison sentence.
  • Options
    while he is in prison he needs helpt o get off and won't be allowed out until hes of them. sorted.

you've turned into a liberal then?

So lets assume he got a 2 month sentence for shoplifting, is he gonna be off drugs by then ? Nah dont think so, but you cant give a shop lifter a 12 month sentence just so he's clean by the time he gets out............can you ?

Im just starting to be a bit more open minded, im listening more here than i ever used to and some people give me pretty good reasons to change my view......which i have done on this topic.
  • Options
    your had a bad experince obviously. I bet you wouldn't want to go back now would you?

thats what prison is about.

Then you have to think why some people are in and out of prison.

And no, it's not because they are selfish or greedy.
  • Options
    while he is in prison he needs helpt o get off and won't be allowed out until hes of them. sorted.

you've turned into a liberal then?
    luke ...i'm smoking an illegal substance right now. ihave no addictions apart from nicotine. i live a respectable life. today i have been out in the sunshine with my wife and her sister and my two nephews ... riding steam trains in the welsh mountains and stuff. i've come home and switched this site on ...i'm smoking a bit of pot to unwind relax and also a glass of wine ...what evil am i perpetrating to deserve going back there?
    what right do you or anyone have ...to have the power to wreck my life ...to do far more damage to me than having a smoke could ever do?
    the jails are full of the wrong people!
    ...and i did laugh when you said i had obviously had a bad time.
    i was a proffesional criminal. doing time was one of the risks ...the biggest and cruelest risk ...and rightly so.
    but i'm a big guy ...physicaly and with attitude and a fair amount of experience and knowledge.
    i was in control of the weed on B' wing in hmp preston ...an old naval prison built in the middle of the city in 1754.
    there was still no running water for two thousand men in the 8o's.
    my point is ...if you think a tough street wise guy like me had a tough time ...i realy pray you never ever ever break the law.
    what kind of time do you think you'd have ...even with a telly ...would it damage you ...would it change you do you think?
  • Options
    when i talk about drugs I talk about then around my end, who inject them selves 24.7, smoke dope which is ruining their lives because they look so bad and ill. know what i mean?

when i talk about stuff like this everyone thinks i refer to decent folk like you. i aint, talking about the idiots around my end.

Surely they are all smoking dope. Rolly smokes it, Tunstallites smoke it. What's the difference?

And no, I'm not twisting what you are saying.
  • Options
    Well you refer to Rolly as an upstanding citizen (HA!). He is smoking dope. You say people who live near you are smoking dope and it is ruining their lives.

Surely dope is dope? It has the same effect on everyone, doesn't it? (Actually could someone answer this question for me? If not, I will just toddle off to the drugs forum).
  • Options
    looking at it from the wrong propective again. for one, you are commiting acrime but again nothing nothing wrong.b fair enough. I wouldn't arest you. i wouldn't say you were breaking the law too.

when i talk about drugs I talk about then around my end, who inject them selves 24.7, smoke dope which is ruining their lives because they look so bad and ill. know what i mean?

when i talk about stuff like this everyone thinks i refer to decent folk like you. i aint, talking about the idiots around my end.
    the money spent on drugs and herbs for nothing medical ...just for pleasure and lifestyle choices in the U.K is estimated at around 10billion pounds a year. that does not include the legal drugs such as alcohol and nictine. this is 10 billion quids worth of illegas every xmas.
    do you reakise how few of our big legitimate companys turn over that ammount of tax free cash ...
    do you believe most of that money comes from a comunity of sad bastards down the road from you!
    that kind of bullion doesn't exist on poor street.
    ten billion quid a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    good point .

well from looking at them, dope is affecting them, making them violent.

That'll be the alcohol. Weed doesn't make you violent.
  • Options
    If a cell contains a TV set, it shouldn't be there, when someone commits a crime, they forfit a television, the forfit freedom.
    Don't be ridiculous.
  • Options

You have a very misinformed view about prison.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    You have a very misinformed view about prison.
    and about drugs and addiction.
  • Options
    Nearly a quarter of inmates at Edinburgh Prison live in "miserable" conditions, according to a new report.
    The latest HM Inspectorate of Prisons report said two halls at the jail were "very bad indeed".

It said 22% of inmates had to slop out - using chamber pots instead of proper sanitation - and lived in cells with no electricity other than lighting.

From http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3793003.stm
  • Options
    Well I think the classic example recently was the two prisoners who broke out of their open prison (where its supposed to be easier) and knocked on the door of a maximum security jail because there was too much heroin in their last place!

I mean how twisted is that, prisoners risking escaping because their jail is too full of heroin. Says a lot I think.
  • Options
    It looks like I wont be doing what Id planned. Hubby is not too enthusiastic about it and he thinks its a bad idea. So at this moment in time its not going to happen :(

How would the men here feel if their partner wanted to write/visit someone ? Would you be scared for their safety ? Would you put your foot down and say 'No way' are you doing that ?
    Id like to hear from the men so i can try to see where my hubby is coming from..........thanks :)
  • Options
    Hmmm, I guess I can sort of see his point. Writing to men who presumably have been convicted of an offence and by doing so giving them your address.

But at the same time if you want to do it....maybe you could write to prisoners in another country, that way their less likely to turn up on your door. Just a thought.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Hmmm, I guess I can sort of see his point. Writing to men who presumably have been convicted of an offence and by doing so giving them your address.

But at the same time if you want to do it....maybe you could write to prisoners in another country, that way their less likely to turn up on your door. Just a thought.

Out of interest, why only men?
  • Options

He has said NO WAY to writing to anyone, even if they were female. He reckons im asking for trouble and even when i mentioned to writing to someone from abroad he looked at me as if i was stupid.
    So I have got to listen to him on this one, but dont think I listen to everything he says ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    How would the men here feel if their partner wanted to write/visit someone ? Would you be scared for their safety ? Would you put your foot down and say 'No way' are you doing that ?
    Id like to hear from the men so i can try to see where my hubby is coming from..........thanks :)

I don't think it would bother to be honest. I've done prison visits and they are quite safe.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Out of interest, why only men?

I guess I just assumed, sterotyping, of course there are women prisoners too.
  • Options
    what? when someone commits a serious crim,e they forfit everything, including televisions. pirson is tobe punished, not to have it all in there with them.
    Television is hardly 'all in there' is it?

Where do we draw the line? A person does not need toilet paper to survive do they? Let's get them to use their hand, that'll teach them a lesson. They don't need anyone visiting or even calling them do they? Let's cut them off completely from the outside world and their families and friends.

How about that?
  • Options
    I'm not saying you have suggested such things. I'm merely saying that since you believe a TV is too good for a prisoner then perhaps we should provide them with absolutely nothing other than food and water.

Isn't it the same thing?
  • Options
    Prison is a punishment, yes.

But, well you treat people like animals and they become them.

Have you looked at the re-offending rates recently, they are truely shocking.

Purely for our own financial benefit we should be trying to rehabilitate prisoners not just punish them.
  • Options
    allright then yes, but I wouldn't go to them extremes except for peasdophiles and serious ones like them. then maybe

but a TV, is a no no like I said. they forfitted that, if you like the the time, don't do the crime.

That last line is assuming that the law is just and fair.
  • Options
    Well then surely at times the line 'dont do the crime if you cant do the time' is guff. Insulting rubbish because the sentances dont have any reflection on the harm done.
  • Options
    So a heroin addict breaks into your car and steals your radio.

They deserve 5 years behind bars?

Thats the equivelent of about a 1/3rd of your whole life isnt it.
  • Options
    So a heroin addict breaks into your car and steals your radio.

They deserve 5 years behind bars?

Thats the equivelent of about a 1/3rd of your whole life isnt it.

Haven't read the thread through, so excuse me if I am repeating anyone.
    Basically it's got to do, if society gives sentances to punish or to protect the citizens.
    And thereafter if harsher sentances reduce crime.
  • Options
    Harsh sentances dont reduce crime though.

Look at the US for example, very hard on crime, and higher murder rates than us, and argueably a worse drug problem.

Most of the Far East have the death penalty for drug dealing, does that work?

Liberal societies like Holland and Sweden have lower crime rates than us.